9 Posts

Betrayal at House on the Hill: Widow's Walk» Forums » Rules

Subject: Item: Blueprints rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Daniel Bronozo
Philippines
flag msg tools
It states in the blueprints card that you can determine the rolls when entering or leaving any room? Does this include the Mystic elevator? The heroes used it one time to escape from the traitor without rolling and I think it's not what the Blueprint card intended. Thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Dean
United States
Escondido
CA
flag msg tools
The Golden Camel UberBadge is a mystery. Nobody knows where it came from or how it got there.
badge
No one expects the Spanish penguin!
mbmbmbmbmb
Good question, I'm not sure. You do roll after entering the mystic elevator, so I can see the argument for it, but I'm not sure that was the intent.

Blueprint covers 3 cases:
1. Movement to exit (many rooms require a roll to exit. e.g. Junk Room)
2. Movement to cross (there are a few barrier rooms that you have to roll to cross to the other side of the room, e.g. Tower)
3. Movement when entering - This one is hard, as there are none from the base game, unless you count the elevator. But there are some new tiles that count for this, such as the Dungeon, that specifically says "When you enter"

I think I'll play with the answer being 'no', but I could see it going either way. At the very least, it can only happen once per round because only the player holding the item can use it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Martin
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dolus wrote:
Good question, I'm not sure. You do roll after entering the mystic elevator, so I can see the argument for it, but I'm not sure that was the intent.

Blueprint covers 3 cases:
1. Movement to exit (many rooms require a roll to exit. e.g. Junk Room)
2. Movement to cross (there are a few barrier rooms that you have to roll to cross to the other side of the room, e.g. Tower)
3. Movement when entering - This one is hard, as there are none from the base game, unless you count the elevator. But there are some new tiles that count for this, such as the Dungeon, that specifically says "When you enter"

I think I'll play with the answer being 'no', but I could see it going either way. At the very least, it can only happen once per round because only the player holding the item can use it

I agree here. Otherwise this would be saying that you could, say, loot the vault by using the blue prints to just manipulate your roll to be high enough to beat it. They're both rooms that you can roll for, but the rolls are not dependent on entering or leaving.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Daniel Bronozo
Philippines
flag msg tools
What they were arguing though is that you roll for exiting the Mystic Elevator. I do agree with your arguments though

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Martin
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eh, that's not really... true.

You don't roll to exit the mystic elevator. You roll to move it. You can enter, then exit the mystic elevator without actually using it. You can also move the mystic elevator without exiting it.

So, while clever, not accurate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Dean
United States
Escondido
CA
flag msg tools
The Golden Camel UberBadge is a mystery. Nobody knows where it came from or how it got there.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rimewisp wrote:

You don't roll to exit the mystic elevator. You roll to move it. You can enter, then exit the mystic elevator without actually using it. You can also move the mystic elevator without exiting it.

I don't have it in front of me, so I don't remember if it's in the rulebook or the FAQ, but I'm pretty sure the elevator is "first time you enter the elevator on your turn, roll to move it" which is effectively a "when you enter" effect. And of course, the elevator can only be used once per player turn, not multiple times. But I now want to reread the rules/FAQ to make sure I have that right.

Definitely a no to things like the vault though, since it's purely a "when you're in this room you may" instead of a reaction to you entering or leaving.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Martin
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dolus wrote:
Rimewisp wrote:

I don't have it in front of me, so I don't remember if it's in the rulebook or the FAQ, but I'm pretty sure the elevator is "first time you enter the elevator on your turn, roll to move it" which is effectively a "when you enter" effect. And of course, the elevator can only be used once per player turn, not multiple times. But I now want to reread the rules/FAQ to make sure I have that right.

Definitely a no to things like the vault though, since it's purely a "when you're in this room you may" instead of a reaction to you entering or leaving.

Found the rules and you are, in fact, quite correct! My bad.

From http://media.wizards.com/2015/rules/betrayal_rules.pdf

"Mystic Elevator

This tile moves as soon as you enter
it. Roll 2 dice and put it adjacent to a
connecting door on the appropriate floor.
(If there isn’t one, leave the tile where it
is.) If you roll the floor the Mystic Elevator
is on, you can move the tile to a different
connecting door on that floor. You can use
the elevator only once a turn.
Monsters and the traitor can both use the
Mystic Elevator to go wherever they wish
without rolling. However, the tile still
moves only once during each entire traitor/
monster set of turns, the first time either a
traitor or monster enters it. In other words,
if the traitor uses the Mystic Elevator
during his or her turn, then it will not work
if a monster enters it on its next turn. A
hero must roll for the destination floor each
turn he or she enters the Mystic Elevator,
or at the end of each entire turn that hero
spends on that tile without moving.
If one or more explorers are already in
the Mystic Elevator and another explorer
enters it and rolls a 0, all the explorers in
the elevator take the damage.
If an effect of another tile or card leads to
the Mystic Elevator (such as the Collapsed
Room or Secret Passage), the token placed
by that effect stays on the Mystic Elevator
tile even if it moves. "

Given that I completely misunderstood the rules and it IS a roll upon enter, then I'd actually think the blueprints would apply then. Huh.

Learn something new every day! I've been playing it wrong all along. XD
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Dean
United States
Escondido
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rimewisp wrote:

I don't blame you. I don't know how long I studied the FAQ/errata to feel like I have the rules completely down. Then a couple years later, I learned I had a rule wrong on using items (we started a use item, drop it. Next player picks it up, uses it, drops it chain, which is illegal).

I feel like I have a good enough grasp to make most haunts work when we don't know what to do, but it doesn't always work. And this expansion has so many new things with no errata or clarification, that there's bound to be more questions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Daniel Bronozo
Philippines
flag msg tools
Rimewisp wrote:

Found the rules and you are, in fact, quite correct! My bad.

From http://media.wizards.com/2015/rules/betrayal_rules.pdf

"Mystic Elevator

This tile moves as soon as you enter
it. Roll 2 dice and put it adjacent to a
connecting door on the appropriate floor.
(If there isn’t one, leave the tile where it
is.) If you roll the floor the Mystic Elevator
is on, you can move the tile to a different
connecting door on that floor. You can use
the elevator only once a turn.
Monsters and the traitor can both use the
Mystic Elevator to go wherever they wish
without rolling. However, the tile still
moves only once during each entire traitor/
monster set of turns, the first time either a
traitor or monster enters it. In other words,
if the traitor uses the Mystic Elevator
during his or her turn, then it will not work
if a monster enters it on its next turn. A
hero must roll for the destination floor each
turn he or she enters the Mystic Elevator,
or at the end of each entire turn that hero
spends on that tile without moving.
If one or more explorers are already in
the Mystic Elevator and another explorer
enters it and rolls a 0, all the explorers in
the elevator take the damage.
If an effect of another tile or card leads to
the Mystic Elevator (such as the Collapsed
Room or Secret Passage), the token placed
by that effect stays on the Mystic Elevator
tile even if it moves. "

Given that I completely misunderstood the rules and it IS a roll upon enter, then I'd actually think the blueprints would apply then. Huh.

So this means the the holder of the blueprints can control where it goes as long as he/she enters it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.