Subject: Traps without Save Rolls rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Roberto Martinez
United States
California
flag msg tools
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1427888/heros-guide-traps

So, I notice that the Darts Trap Card has no "Unless Save" printed on it.

Does that mean that we can use Magic Shields/Armor and roll defense dice up to our defense value, to negate some of the Hits? Or are we just supposed to take the damage?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simone Romano
Italy
Rome
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Darts Trap makes a standard attack against involved heroes, so they can defend as usual

Thanks

Simone
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tamas Szabadi
Hungary
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't follow the latest news about rules and character details (I want to be surprised). Is there any character or skill that can be used to disarm these nasty traps and avoid drawing trap cards or the only way to open them is to suffer the consequences of the trap cards?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Redford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tobi wrote:
I didn't follow the latest news about rules and character details (I want to be surprised). Is there any character or skill that can be used to disarm these nasty traps and avoid drawing trap cards or the only way to open them is to suffer the consequences of the trap cards?

Thanks!

Some characters have skills that can deal with them before they go off.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Almond
United Kingdom
Nelson
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmb
Quote:
If the drawn card is a trap, the active hero and all heroes within the trap effect range must perform a SAVE roll in order to attempt to avoid it!

Do you always perform a save roll if the trap affects you or only when it tells you to perform a save roll?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Price
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Darkmancer wrote:
Quote:
If the drawn card is a trap, the active hero and all heroes within the trap effect range must perform a SAVE roll in order to attempt to avoid it!

Do you always perform a save roll if the trap affects you or only when it tells you to perform a save roll?

Isn't this what was answered above by Simone? Dart trap has no "unless saved" clause because it does a normal attack that you defend against normally. So that line you're quote would be slightly off, but not necessarily wrong - if the trap doesn't allow a save, then you obviously can't avoid it, ala the dart trap that apparently "hits" if it rolls well enough and you roll poorly enough.

From a purely technical break down of the sentence, there is nothing wrong with it. You *must* perform a SAVE roll to avoid the trap. But if the trap doesn't allow a save, then you cannot attempt to avoid it. However, from an understanding point of view, it's missing the "if the trap allows" for clarification.

And this is why I hate non-computer languages. yuk (And even some computer languages. shake )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Almond
United Kingdom
Nelson
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmb
rpvt wrote:
Darkmancer wrote:
Quote:

Isn't this what was answered above by Simone?

No.

He simply says that the dart trap performs a standard attack. The text space on trap cards is extremely limited the requirement of putting "unless save" on all of them would restrict the amount space greatly, so they could simply skip writing it when they don't have the space.

The save system at the moment involve you rolling a symbol with a 20% - 40% chance, it's fairly random and pointless stuff happens dice roll. If all traps use a save roll by the activating character it's actually worth considering setting up one of the party members as a thief with a skill or two to better the odds with something like a re-roll/extra symbol.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Price
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Darkmancer wrote:
it's fairly random and pointless stuff happens dice roll.

If that's your view, why play?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simone Romano
Italy
Rome
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Darkmancer wrote:
rpvt wrote:
Darkmancer wrote:
Quote:

Isn't this what was answered above by Simone?

No.

He simply says that the dart trap performs a standard attack. The text space on trap cards is extremely limited the requirement of putting "unless save" on all of them would restrict the amount space greatly, so they could simply skip writing it when they don't have the space.

The save system at the moment involve you rolling a symbol with a 20% - 40% chance, it's fairly random and pointless stuff happens dice roll. If all traps use a save roll by the activating character it's actually worth considering setting up one of the party members as a thief with a skill or two to better the odds with something like a re-roll/extra symbol.

??? Why you are saying "pointless stuff" ? When your next phrase simply explains the importance of the Trap/Save system ?
Having a Rogue in the Party can be a good choice to avoid most of the Traps, to gain more Coins and having more possibilities to get better Treasures...
Shae (rogue) is not combat-effective like a Tank or a DPS, but she grants other game benefits... There are 24 different classes in S&S, I'm pretty sure you will find the ones that best fit your preferences

By the way:

A) The saving throw may vary from 10 to 50% (not 20-40), it's a part of the character game balance, and it is also used for several other things including: resist to enemy powers, performing other tests during the Quests.

B) Some Traps require a Save roll to avoid them, some other cannot be avoided but can be defended, while few other cannot be avoided at all (Unless you are playing Shae the Rogue). As many other factors in the game, most of the Traps become more powerful when your heroes are higher Soulranks.

Personally I love this system, it was inspired by D&D off course and I think it's an important aspect in our adventure game system. The rest is up to you.

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.