GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!

8,400 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
20 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
4 Posts

Frontier Stations» Forums » Rules

Subject: Spend contents on any player & Always On abilities rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brie
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm curious how exactly the "Spend contents for any player" ability works. And also, can I use passive abilities to resolve a threat?

For example:

The Space Debris threat is between P2 and P3 and activates. Neither P2 nor P3 have the required engineering resource. However, P2 does have a Mass Converter, but it only has 2 of the 3 energy resources. P1 has the Power Crystal with 1 energy resource and the "spend contents for any player" ability.

Can P1 give P2 the energy, enabling P2 to use the Mass Converter to produce the required engineering resource? Or does the threat cause one of the distress tokens to be burned and the the resource management must happen afterward on the Station activation?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Lennert
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The way this is intended to work is that the "spend" abilities work only when you are spending the resource--you can't transfer or convert the resource and then place it back in storage.

The Mass Converter can use 3 energy (taken from any combination of your systems) and pay for something that would normally cost (e.g.) 1 engineering. But at no point does it actually give you an engineering token. You can only use it when the resulting engineering will be spent instantly. (Which actually means you can never use this ability during station activation, unless we someday release an expansion with system cards that cost resources to activate--because you never spend resources during station activation!)

Similarly, the Power Crystal lets you spend energy from that card (but not your other systems) on behalf of another player who needs to spend energy on something. But you can't give them an energy token to spend later; you can only use it if they need to pay an energy for something right now.

By similar logic, you can't take the energy from an ally's Power Crystal and feed it into your Mass Converter (in any phase). Their energy never enters your station; it is sent directly to the thing that is costing you energy.

If they had a Mass Converter--and a Power Crystal that was upgraded to have at least 3 storage--then they could combine them to use 3 energy from the Power Crystal as 1 wild for any player. (And again, this conversion would happen on an as-needed basis, without actually placing any new tokens on anyone's system cards.)

If you want to transfer your resource tokens to another station, you can use cards that do so explicitly, such as the Trading Post or the Arms Locker.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brie
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks. Almost have this figured out.

Spending is the Improvements phase only?

I also apparently didn't make the distinction between "spending as" and "convert to to spend" in my game tonight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Lennert
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
briezee wrote:
Spending is the Improvements phase only?

Also when activating threats.

briezee wrote:
I also apparently didn't make the distinction between "spending as" and "convert to to spend" in my game tonight.

Unless my memory is failing me, there are no cards in the game that let you convert one resource into another and put it back into storage. Only cards that let you substitute one resource for another when paying a cost.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.