Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brent Wolgemuth
United States
Mechanicsburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am referring here to the Carrom Boards like they use in India with the small holes in the corners and not the the big holes boards like the American Carrom Company produces.

When I go to various websites that sell these boards, like Billiboard, I see they have different boards that vary by board playing-surface thickness and rail thickness. This affects the price. So for example a Synco board can range in price from $150 to $350.

Will discs shot on these boards at these different price levels all slide the same and the difference is in the number of rails that can be used?

Why should I buy an expensive board vs a cheaper one?

I assume that a 29" board requires more skill than a 27" board?

What is a good beginner board vs relation to price?

Is it necessary to use Carrom Powder on your board?

If you choose not to use Carrom Powder, does the board just keep getting slower and slower?

How much powder do you have to put on? Do you just sprinkle a little in the middle or sprinkle all over?

Are these Carrom Boards, varnished and waxed like a Crokinole Board?

Sorry for all the questions, but this type of Carrom board is all new to me, so I am trying to get some good information from those who have experience with these type of boards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gene Vogel
United States
Shakopee
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I second all of these questions - I'm glad that I checked the 'Geek before buying, but I too have questions such as these! Anyone out there?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manisha DS
Canada
North York
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Might be a bit late but I’ll try to answer these questions for future reference.

The difference in price is more to do with the quality of wood used and the finish of the Carrom boards. The more expensive ones are also braced better at the bottom to prevent warping and the top board is probably smoother for game play. Even the cheaper boards will probably last you a long time if you use powder when playing and don't expose it to water or extreme heat. It is entirely up to you how much you want to spend on it. If you are interested in participating in tournaments then I would suggest buying a top end Carrom board because you will want to practice and develop your skills on the fastest board out there.

To my knowledge the 27” square boards are for kids and beginners. I would suggest going for the 29” square board since there is no point purchasing a larger board at a later point in time. I grew up playing on the 29” square and had no problems with it even as a kid.

It is essential to use powder on the board. It provides a layer for the pieces to glide on and makes the game play much more consistent. Plus it prevents abrasion and scratches. If you do not want to purchase the Carrom powder, you can use baby powder, baking powder or potato starch. Sprinkle a little bit all over the board and then use your hands or cloth and buff the board. Test it with the striker and see how smoothly it moves and add more if needed. You will see a noticeable change in the way the pieces move around the board. The smoother the board, the more delicate the touch required for play.

The boards are varnished only to seal them from the elements. The powder is used instead of a wax on the boards to allow smooth game play. This is why it is necessary to use powder.

Hope this helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls