Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Williams
United Kingdom
Penkridge
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am currently playing my first solo campaign and am currently 10 games in. I have not lost a single game (or even come close), I have not lost a province either and so far it is not proving to be much of a drain on resources to maintain my empire. In fact I seem to be doing better each game.

Is this normal or am I just getting lucky with rolls for provinces and events?

How many games should I expect to play before it starts to get challenging?

Is it possible to get through all 20 provinces and still be playing?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Perry
United States
Newtown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This was my experience with the Barbarians; but you may also want to check that you are playing correctly: I discovered I was playing incorrectly in the beginning which really impacted on the first few games of the campaign.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pavol Salak
Czech Republic
Praha
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'm playing with Romans and I have finished 16 games without any problems whatsoever. My feeling is the same that each next game is easier. However, I have rolled for events for my next game and rolled twice 10 and then something else, which means I have 3 concurrent negative events for the upcoming game.

I wonder whether only Romans play so smoothly or I've chosen a very efficient order of achievements, ie. I had Palace very quickly (I think after 3rd game) in order to gain +10VP.

I would definitely welcome a little bit more challenge.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Williams
United Kingdom
Penkridge
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you roll 10 twice it says you should ignore the second roll so you should only have 2 different events in play in any one game.

I feel that the campaign needs to be more difficult and would welcome more of a challenge.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fortheloveofdice
Canada
Toronto
ON
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is making me sad! Has anyone found a way to make it more difficult? I haven't started the campaign yet but it was on my might-do list.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pavol Salak
Czech Republic
Praha
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
rassilonsghost wrote:
If you roll 10 twice it says you should ignore the second roll so you should only have 2 different events in play in any one game.

That's my way of making it more challenging, at least for the upcoming mission. So I will play with 3 events

Although the difficulty is not high I still enjoy playing this campaign. You see your nation grow and expand and it is pretty fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Williams
United Kingdom
Penkridge
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fortheloveofdice wrote:
This is making me sad! Has anyone found a way to make it more difficult? I haven't started the campaign yet but it was on my might-do list.

Here is my proposal (this has not been play tested and I have no idea whether it will work or not):

The campaign should have a fixed length maybe 10 games.

follow the normal campaign rules with the following changes:
1. If at any point you fail to pay the upkeep cost of any province you lose
2. If you fail to win a game, you lose the campaign
3. At the end of each game as well as gaining a province you also roll for and gain a virtual player upgrade (see below). These will be based on the individual faction upgrades that were added to the solo game in the empire packs. This will cause each successive game to get harder and hopefully will result in a tight campaign that will be hard to beat. Of course as this has not been tested it could be either easy or totally impossible!

Virtual player upgrades

1. Conduct a third attack each round
2. Enemy cards cost 3 tokens to raze
3. If the first attack card drawn matches one of your deals add the deal card to the virtual players score pile. Then continue the attack as normal.
4. If the second attack card drawn matches one of your deals add the deal card to the virtual players score pile. Then continue the attack as normal.
5. The first attack gains the blockade ability (see rules for the Egyptian faction in the 3 is a magic number empire pack) compare the attack card to the colours of your faction cards and if there is a match one faction card is blockaded for the next round.
6. The second attack gains the blockade ability.
7. Add 2 cards to the virtual players score pile at the start of the game
8. As above
9. Draw an extra common card during the lookout phase you still get two, the virtual player gets the rest.
10. As above

Hopefully with a bit of testing it should be possible to find a good length for this campaign the will present a challenge but not be totally impossible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Youren
United States
Lincoln City
OR
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My first attempt at a solo campaign with the Roman Faction was flawed because I was mis-playing and making it more difficult on myself. I was counting every card dealt to the Virtual Player AND the cards she had in her collection pile as a result of successful attacks. Comparing the number of my Faction Locations to this combined number is much more difficult (and requires paying a lot of attention to Razing at least one of her locations each round).

I am now experimenting with these VP cards counting as 1/2 location each and combining this number with those from the collection pile. Using the Barbarian faction I won the most recent game 9 to 6. Had I counted the VP cards as full locations I would have a 9 to 10 loss). She had 8 locations remaining and 2 collected during attacks.

I would like input from more experience players. I also like the idea of requiring 3 Raze tokens to Raze a VP location as proposed above.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Katrina
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I have gotten to 19 games a couple of times. I'm finding Egyptians harder than Romans & Barbarians mainly because it's harder to get Raze tokens. I keep getting Provinces w/Control Costs though and in my last game (around game 8 I think in the campaign) didn't get enough VP to pay all 35 VP in Control Costs (make sure you're paying them before you add in your previous score).

If you need more of a challenge try the expansions. Why Can't We Be Friends adds 2 border faction cards; one adds a third attack (I couldn't win using that, too hard!) & I can't remember what the other does. The other 2 are in a different expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.