Subject: "Broken" Item Cards rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nate
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just purchased this game and was reading through some of the reviews and such and noticed claims of "broken" item cards popping up. However there is no such mention of which cards these are exactly. I would greatly appreciate someone shedding some light on these "broken" cards.

PS I believe the "broken" claim is in regards to them being overpowered.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
NLink wrote:
I just purchased this game and was reading through some of the reviews and such and noticed claims of "broken" item cards popping up. However there is no such mention of which cards these are exactly. I would greatly appreciate someone shedding some light on these "broken" cards.

PS I believe the "broken" claim is in regards to them being overpowered.

None that I'm aware of. There are cards that are very powerful, but only to specific characters. And you need to survive long enough to get them first. A super-awesome gold treasure chest axe is no good in the hands of a dead guy.

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joakim Björklund
Finland
flag msg tools
Overtext?! We don't need no stinking overtext! Oh wait...
badge
Overtext?! We don't need no stinking overtext! Oh wait...
mbmbmbmb
They included a few replacement cards in the The Well of Darkness-expansion that changed a few items. You can find these changes in the official FAQ:

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/PDF/descentfaq.pdf

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cédric Billette
Canada
Aylmer
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The golden treasure card Word of Vaal (the Descent equivalent of a Power Word Stun/Kill in D&D) is certainly overpowered, much more so than any other gold weapon or armour, IMO. Not only does it roll all green and yello dice, just like practically all gold weapons, but it also attacks every enemy figure within 3 spaces and stuns them as well.

In one of our games, the player using this had the vampiric ability, which gives him 1 fatigue back for every monster killed. He'd use the battle action, moving with his fatigue and attacking twice. Even master ogres couldn't last very long, notwithstanding the fact that they'd then have at least 2 stun tokens. On top of that, another hero had the Leadership skill, which could be used to give the Word of Vaal player another attack with guard.

Sure, this was a killer skill combo, but the weapon is still way too good. This is not one of those gold weapons that can defeat a master giant/dragon/demon in a single attack (because they do exist), but through sheer devastation of a large area, it's the most powerful. Oh yeah, and it stuns monsters.

If this weapon didn't affect EVERY monster within 3 spaces, then it really wouldn't be so bad. Maybe we could fix it so that the hero could attack one enemy per magic power die or something, or 3 enemies per attack, for example.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a GOLD treasure. They're supposed to be game-breakingly awesome. Any OL worth his salt knows he needs to squash those pesky heroes well before they reach a gold chest. Otherwise he'd better have some contingency plan lined up - Dark Relic, Mimic, etc...

-MMM
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cédric Billette
Canada
Aylmer
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
But Word of Vaal is a lot more powerful than any other Gold treasure card we've come across in our games. Notwithstanding the fact that in quest 4, there are 2 gold treasure chests only a couple of areas away from the start. And a silver one in the very last room? What's going on?shake Those should really be switched around, IMO.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gilles Duchesne
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't say it, don't say it, don't...

Cedric, check out Octavian's minibadges... He's just upset because our team ate his for breakfast. laugh

Darn, I said it...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven S
Canada
Unspecified
flag msg tools
columbob wrote:
He'd use the battle action, moving with his fatigue and attacking twice.

I don't believe you can use fatigue to move at all when battling, without a skill like Knight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
Broken wrote:
columbob wrote:
He'd use the battle action, moving with his fatigue and attacking twice.

I don't believe you can use fatigue to move at all when battling, without a skill like Knight.

You may ALWAYS spend fatigue for movement points.

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cédric Billette
Canada
Aylmer
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LoneCleric wrote:
Don't say it, don't say it, don't...

Cedric, check out Octavian's minibadges... He's just upset because our team ate his for breakfast. laugh

Darn, I said it...

Well it was about time, since Buffalo had eliminated Ottawa three times in the past, as recently as last year in fact.

Back to the topic at hand: yeah, fatigue can be used pretty much anytime during a heroe's turn to move. The Knight skill only makes you move more when you battle, IIRC.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.