Popular Tags: [View All]
Mendel Lius
France
Paris
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

Big doubt about my interpretation of the rules regarding implementation of movement methods, in particular 9.21 restrictions.

- Are they considered during the determination of the movement method?
- Are they considered only when choices have to be made inside a given method?
- Are they implemented after the choice of the method, which can lead to incomplete movement or no movement at all? If so are subsequent methods checked if 9.21 prevents even one-hex move with a first method?

I have observed that the two first interpretations often lead to optimal movement, but can also stuck units for a long time. I predict that the 2nd one would sometime to less optimal moves but would unstuck units, for example several nearby infantry advancing step by step, activation after activation, would be able to make progress toward towns as they "cover themselves" against rules c) and d). I have seen that situation in the west region of Bastogne.

Finally I am having a hard time with differentiation of rules c) and d). For me c) is included in d), am I right?

Cheers,
M
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Kassel
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
yes, no, yes, yes

I don't recall all changes during testing but suspect d) was a late addition and could have just replaced c).

The restrictions apply hex by hex. A unit might start moving with a method but halt due to d).

Note also that 9.24 can alter the end result of a movement significantly. In particular, method 11 might be sabotaged by 9.24. If the hex adjacent too best target is already occupied and also adjacent to another enemy, the moving unit might have to move to an empty hex no longer adjacent to the previously calculated target.

There are a few principles at work. One is keeping the procedures simple enough for a player to operate. Another is denying the AI a god's eye view of the complete situation. If the AI made optimum moves regularly, its more plentiful card play would slaughter the allies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Åkerlund
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb

The only situation I can think of when c) isn't included in d) is if the moving unit starts in a town/city/Westwall hex stacked with a unit with no ZOC (e.g. a dispersed unit).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mendel Lius
France
Paris
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks both of you! Tom : when I play, I always think "gee, they must have spent years optimizing the whole thing"--> thanks for the tremendous work to the team!

So, if I try to make a small "decision tree"

Movement method "x" determination
1) not applicable --> check method x+1
2) applicable --> check 9.21 for every hex during move

9.21 check (movement restrictions)
1) not applicable --> implement complete move
2) applicable, allows at least one-hex move --> implement incomplete move
3) applicable, prevents any move --> abort and check method x+1

9.24 check (tactical adjustments)
1) not applicable --> implement complete move
2) applicable, allows at least one-hex move --> implement incomplete or "distorted" move
3) applicable, prevents any move --> abort and check method x+1

Right?

Cheers,
M
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Kassel
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Yes, looks fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.