Bryle Cuff
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
- What benefits will adding these expansions give me?

- Does the extra variance provided by the two expansions drastically effect the replay value of the scenarios?

- Are the expansions worth their price tag?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mick Noda
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Bryle. We've been playing the expansions at Board Game Warriors every 2nd Saturday. You're welcome to have a look through them if we're there at the same time.

I wouldn't say they drastically affect the replayability of the scenarios as the basic story for each one remains the same. It does add some variety with different monsters showing up and some variations in map tiles but the scenarios are broadly the same with or without the expansions. The added characters are nice. I'd say the expansions are a little too pricey for what they offer in terms of content as of now but hopefully the new DLC from FFG will add to their value.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicola Zee
United Kingdom
Amersham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SDRobot wrote:
Hey Bryle. We've been playing the expansions at Board Game Warriors every 2nd Saturday. You're welcome to have a look through them if we're there at the same time.

I wouldn't say they drastically affect the replayability of the scenarios as the basic story for each one remains the same. It does add some variety with different monsters showing up and some variations in map tiles but the scenarios are broadly the same with or without the expansions. The added characters are nice. I'd say the expansions are a little too pricey for what they offer in terms of content as of now but hopefully the new DLC from FFG will add to their value.

I agree. One scenario per expansion makes these two somewhat pricy. They each really would benefit from an extra DLC from FFG but please note (as far as I know) at this stage FFG has not announced any plans to release new DLC scenarios specifically for these two expansions. It may be better to hold off buying them until its clearer what the DLC scenarios will consist of.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Three Headed Monkey
Australia
flag msg tools
Bryle wrote:

- Does the extra variance provided by the two expansions drastically effect the replay value of the scenarios?

The main purpose of these packs is to make the 1st edition models and tiles available to people who didn't previously buy them, now that the first edition box and its expansions are out of print.

Each one unlocks one scenario. The first and third missions in the base game get extra map variations that use the first edition tiles. Monsters from the first edition can now spawn in all of the other scenarios, increasing the variance of encounters.

Also, a crap load more investigators to choose from. Each of the tile and miniature packs has eight additional investigators. So if you like replaying as different investigators or want more options there this is a great way to add extra variance to your experience.

So, the scenario variance added isn't really that high, you are mainly adding in the monsters and investigators as possibilities to your game play sessions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicola Zee
United Kingdom
Amersham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Three Headed Monkey wrote:
Bryle wrote:

The main purpose of these packs is to make the 1st edition models and tiles available to people who didn't previously buy them, now that the first edition box and its expansions are out of print.

Each one unlocks one scenario. The first and third missions in the base game get extra map variations that use the first edition tiles. Monsters from the first edition can now spawn in all of the other scenarios, increasing the variance of encounters.

Also, a crap load more investigators to choose from. Each of the tile and miniature packs has eight additional investigators. So if you like replaying as different investigators or want more options there this is a great way to add extra variance to your experience.

So, the scenario variance added isn't really that high, you are mainly adding in the monsters and investigators as possibilities to your game play sessions.

Having the extra investigators is nice (as has being pointed out already by Mick Roda) but the base game comes with a good selection of eight interesting characters. In addition, the base game comes with the extra character sheets and monster tokens as part of the 1st edition conversion kit. So with the two base scenarios (where the map does not change) you can just proxy the extra characters and monsters. You won't have the correct figures but it's certainly do-able especially if you already have suitable looking figures from other games.

At this stage, the main functionality of the two 'tile and miniature' packs is 2 new scenarios and extra variability in 2 of the base game scenarios in terms of room tiles.

You also end up with a whole heap of miniatures but the quality of the miniatures does vary - some are excellent and some not so much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Scharr
msg tools
Nicola Zee wrote:
Three Headed Monkey wrote:
Bryle wrote:

Having the extra investigators is nice (as has being pointed out already by Mick Roda) but the base game comes with a good selection of eight interesting characters. In addition, the base game comes with the extra character sheets and monster tokens as part of the 1st edition conversion kit. So with the two base scenarios (where the map does not change) you can just proxy the extra characters and monsters. You won't have the correct figures but it's certainly do-able especially if you already have suitable looking figures from other games.

At this stage, the main functionality of the two 'tile and miniature' packs is 2 new scenarios and extra variability in 2 of the base game scenarios in terms of room tiles.

You also end up with a whole heap of miniatures but the quality of the miniatures does vary - some are excellent and some not so much.

Just to add on to that, you can print out the tiles using the images stored on the MoM app and just play the 2 scenarios using those and the Conversion Kit monster tiles. If you like what you play, then buy the full expansion(s).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Slater
Canada
flag msg tools
I have both. Bought one with a gift card, the other out of pocket, and while I enjoy the variety they bring, I think what they bring right now is not enough for the price. If I knew the tiles would add more in the future, and there would be more scenarios specific to these sets, then yeah, totally worth it, but they're very expensive.
So, I'm not sure I regret buying them right now, but I don't feel like they were great value for money. That could totally change as new scenarios come out, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicola Zee
United Kingdom
Amersham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
spiraljacobs wrote:
I have both. Bought one with a gift card, the other out of pocket, and while I enjoy the variety they bring, I think what they bring right now is not enough for the price. If I knew the tiles would add more in the future, and there would be more scenarios specific to these sets, then yeah, totally worth it, but they're very expensive.
So, I'm not sure I regret buying them right now, but I don't feel like they were great value for money. That could totally change as new scenarios come out, though.

Wouldn't it be great if FFG released an extra scenario for each set for free? The extra scenarios would not even have to be long or complex. The game could do with a couple of quick and straight-forward scenarios for when people want a quick (1 hour) game. One of the scenarios from the 1st Ed Call of the Wild expansion just involves escaping off the map and would be very easy to convert.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryle Cuff
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
SDRobot wrote:
Hey Bryle. We've been playing the expansions at Board Game Warriors every 2nd Saturday.

Thanks for the offer, I'll definitely have a look if I see you guys there.

Thanks everyone for your replies. I'll stay away until more scenarios are released through the app. Who knows, by then the first expansion may be more enticing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
air show
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
xavior38 wrote:

Just to add on to that, you can print out the tiles using the images stored on the MoM app and just play the 2 scenarios using those and the Conversion Kit monster tiles. If you like what you play, then buy the full expansion(s).

Really? that's interesting! There's a specific folder in the app data where first edition tiles are?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Scharr
msg tools
air show wrote:
xavior38 wrote:

Really? that's interesting! There's a specific folder in the app data where first edition tiles are?

Yes, the asset files should be in bin\Data\. Use AssetsBundleExtractor 2.0 and select and open all the level* files. Then, extract all the TILE_* images using plugin->tga/png in the extractor app.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim F
msg tools
Hey there, to add to this discussion, I just finally got Mansions 2nd edition, and I'm wondering about Recurring Nightmares and Suppressed Memories as I don't have a single thing from the 1st edition at all.

I've played Mansions 2nd edition, so I know I'm a fan of it, so I'm considering these expansions. If I don't have any of the 1st edition stuff, are these expansions playable? Do they come with the investigator cards, or just the figures? I get that the pricepoint for a new story is unpalatable(ish), but it might be worth it to me for the monsters and investigators, if I can use them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Walmsley
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tim_f wrote:
Hey there, to add to this discussion, I just finally got Mansions 2nd edition, and I'm wondering about Recurring Nightmares and Suppressed Memories as I don't have a single thing from the 1st edition at all.

I've played Mansions 2nd edition, so I know I'm a fan of it, so I'm considering these expansions. If I don't have any of the 1st edition stuff, are these expansions playable? Do they come with the investigator cards, or just the figures? I get that the pricepoint for a new story is unpalatable(ish), but it might be worth it to me for the monsters and investigators, if I can use them.

These two expansions ARE basically everything from the first edition and first edition expansions. Each box will have the miniatures for the monsters and investigators along with new tiles. The tokens for these monsters are already included in the second edition base game you purchased, have a look, you should be able to find them. So yes, if you buy either one or both of the expansions then you'll have everything you need.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xuzu Horror
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Recurring Nightmares is on sale for $32 at Coolstuffinc right now.

So, if you have any other games you want to get to the $100 free shipping amount, that's a good option.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.