Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
13 Posts

Epic Card Game» Forums » News

Subject: Uprising Preview: Avenger of Covenant rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
The full spoiler for Epic: Uprising comes out today. But before it does, there’s one more spoiler for early risers and us fans who live over the ocean: the Avenger of Covenant. The streets ring with the clash of steel, but above it all, waits the Avenger. And if anybody harms her city – they’ll answer to her. At least, that’s how I read the art...

And it’s gorgeus artwork! I love these city shots – it gives you the feeling that the story is unfolding as part of a wider setting. There was a little of this with Tyrants, but Uprising is where it feels that Epic is finally starting to spread its storytelling wings, and connect you to the characters beyond “it’s a dragon” and “it’s a dinosaur”. Is the Avenger with Markus and his martial law, or Paros’ Uprising? We’ll have to wait to find out.

One of the first things you learn in Epic is that sometimes it’s better to take the hit. If you can afford to let a champion go face on you for a turn, that gains you the ability to do something else with your gold, like build up your own board. Avenger of Covenant rewards you for this risk by getting rid of the offending champion while putting a solid body on the board to block other attacks or push on your turn.

But that’s just one use. Avenger of Covenant can deal with a champion that dealt you any kind of damage, not just battle damage. So while, yes, it can take out that pesky Gold Dragon or Knight of Shadows, it will also situationally banish cards like Hunting Raptors and the newly spoiled Scarros, Hound of Drakka, which deal direct player damage.

In terms of mechanics Avenger of Covenant most reminds me of Palace Guard, in that it puts a big body on the table and banishes a target. This ability is less flexible at first glance, because Palace Guard doesn’t have the same targeting restriction. But Avenger of Covenant has Ambush, so can be played off-turn, and that’s when we’re usually going to see her hitting the table. This also draws similarities with Medusa, who Ambushes and Breaks a champion. Again, Medusa is more general in terms of targeting, but the Loyalty restriction on her break ability means there's no guarantee it will be available when you need it.

There’s fun combos to be found here with cards like Fumble, where you let a huge champion deal you just a tiny scratch, then you banish it anyway. But I think we’ll most often see Avenger used to banish small-to-medium size attackers that weren’t worth blocking (or couldn't be blocked), in a way which leaves the defending player safe from a follow-up blitz. This makes it valuable when you’re behind on gold, making Avenger of Covenant a solid re-establishing champion, and a rare example of one which can be played off-turn.

Thanks to Nathan & Ian for giving me the chance to spoil one last card, and I can't wait to look through the whole set when it hits later today!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Staudt
Germany
Rutesheim
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Somehow this artwork reminds me of "Assassin's Creed".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Kozlowski
United States
Schererville
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool card, I'll definitely give it a whirl to see how it plays

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Kapish
United States
Brunswick
Ohio
flag msg tools
Total unplayed games in my collection: 7
mbmbmbmbmb
greylag wrote:
Is the Avenger with Markus and his martial law, or Paros’ Uprising? We’ll have to wait to find out.

Good question. If only there were at least two available lines in the text box for someone to insert some flavor text. whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Davis
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mb
Something we didn't make clear when this was sent is that "loses health" is not the same thing as damage. We've never needed to care about that before in Epic, but Epic has the similar rules as many other card games. Losing health is not taking damage. Taking damage makes one lose health, but it is not the same thing.

Avenger is great, but not the perfect answer to Zannos or Drinker.

- Nathan Davis
Bearer of Bad News Sometimes
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Kapish
United States
Brunswick
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
NathanWWG wrote:
Thank God, I was a little bummed over the potential evil hosing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
NathanWWG wrote:
Something we didn't make clear when this was sent is that "loses health" is not the same thing as damage. We've never needed to care about that before in Epic, but Epic has the similar rules as many other card games. Losing health is not taking damage. Taking damage makes one lose health, but it is not the same thing.

- Nathan Davis
Bearer of Bad News Sometimes

Oh, no, don't be sorry. That's fantastic news. All I care about in Epic is killing people with Drinker of Blood. There's nothing better
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Taylor
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
andrewkapish wrote:
greylag wrote:
Is the Avenger with Markus and his martial law, or Paros’ Uprising? We’ll have to wait to find out.

Good question. If only there were at least two available lines in the text box for someone to insert some flavor text. whistle

Adding flavour text sometimes causes a problem with the layout of the card. I know this because I want flavour text on every card, and I get told.

Ian Taylor
Director of Organized Play
White Wizard Games
Having made his point, the wily Antipodean retreated to the safety of his desk. The Dragonsong was coming to an end, and there was World Championship prep to finish...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
IanWWG wrote:
The Dragonsong was coming to an end

CONFIRMED.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Kapish
United States
Brunswick
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
IanWWG wrote:
Adding flavour text sometimes causes a problem with the layout of the card. I know this because I want flavour text on every card, and I get told.
Tell them they're full of it!
I won't have a club member bullied so easily. Lore lovers unite!

Looks like Epic cards max out at 5 lines. If they can pack Scarros and Winds of Change to the brim then surely they could've given a champ like the Avenger of Covenant an amazing little quip.

This flavor text oppression must be stopped. We believe in you Ian!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Taylor
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
andrewkapish wrote:
IanWWG wrote:
Tell them they're full of it!
I won't have a club member bullied so easily. Lore lovers unite!

Looks like Epic cards max out at 5 lines. If they can pack Scarros and Winds of Change to the brim then surely they could've given a champ like the Avenger of Covenant an amazing little quip.

This flavor text oppression must be stopped. We believe in you Ian!

Baby steps.

In my time here, R&D have placed flavour on a certain level of importance, and I've managed to raise that level a little. I wrote a lot of backstory on my own time and they responded with enthusiasm, and the feedback that we have gotten from fans is very positive. The people that like flavour really like what we are doing.

If you want to see more, let us know. I write when I can, but my OP duties take precedence, and I love getting feedback on my work, and the direction that I seem to be taking things.

BTW, Uprising spoilers have been posted. We don't have the token art up, but I got to provide new flavour text for it, so partial victories aplenty!

Ian Taylor
Director of Baby Steps
White Wizard Games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oh my gosh Master Zo is going to be so delightfully annoying!

"Are you even trying to hit me, demon?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Davis
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mb
We didn't post the token cards mostly to keep all of you in suspense about the story developments.

- Nathan Davis
probably not telling the truth in this post
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.