31 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Mythic Battles: Pantheon» Forums » General

Subject: I own all the old stuff... why should i get this new game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Day Life
msg tools
What is it about this version of the game that makes it worth buying... besides miniatures as that is actually a turn off for me... so besides that... is there anything about this game that makes it worth buying for a fan of the original?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Never played the original, but I would think you could watch the Beast Of War live play video and have a good idea on how the game may or may not be different.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew B
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in the same boat. The new artwork is amazing, but like you mentioned in another thread, it just doesn't fit with the old one.

The one reason to buy it is the fact that it's very likely to receive more support than the old version.

I really liked the flavour of the old version and for some reason this new one just doesn't connect for me.

I really dislike the dashboards and clips. The card stack they used for the troops was so much easier and less fiddly, I can't figure out why they decided for the dashboard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
seb seb2
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
andrewbwm wrote:
I can't figure out why they decided for the dashboard.

it's obvious: you get all the infos at once.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Day Life
msg tools
I loved those card decks piles for the pugs...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew B
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Belsamoreth wrote:
andrewbwm wrote:

it's obvious: you get all the infos at once.

How often do you need to consult them for going up or down? The current stats are by far the most important ones.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
andrewbwm wrote:

They look fancier!

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andi Kasper
Germany
Aachen
NRW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are a few pros for this game:
-more support
-a bunch of free goodies on the KS
-an upcomming conan crossover
-new artwork
-wider player base(I guess)
Etc.

The only cons I can think of are:
-delivery next year(but i think it will be delayed like every ks)
-fomo with all the expansions that are comming
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Day Life
msg tools
andlord wrote:
There are a few pros for this game:
-more support
-a bunch of free goodies on the KS
-an upcomming conan crossover
-new artwork
-wider player base(I guess)
Etc.

For the record, the art is actually worse than before... and a conan cross over is a horrible idea, though as a cash grab from there other game I guess it makes sense.. I mean Hyboria and that dose not even fit the theme or anything in this game.

It just seams that the only thing this version has going are the miniatures, which as I said are a total turn off.

I mean dose anyone know what the rule changes are yet?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
House of Cards
United States
Abingdon
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
DayinDaLife wrote:
What is it about this version of the game that makes it worth buying... besides miniatures as that is actually a turn off for me... so besides that... is there anything about this game that makes it worth buying for a fan of the original?

Sounds like you answered your own question.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Itai Perez
France
Paris
Ile-de-France
flag msg tools
designer
Soon in retail !
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There has also been some rules streamlining.

For instance:
tric trac article wrote:

Art of War cards are also used to activate some of the more powerful abilities in the game. Ares’ Berserker, Medusa’s Petrify, the Cerberus’ Inferno and many more. These potentially game changing abilities will cost you one or more Art of War cards but their effects can be devastating. Your opponent can either respond in kind or conserve his cards in order to retain a tactical advantage.

This is potentially one of the biggest differences to the old version of Mythic Battles. Before, abilities were powered by a third resource: Mystical power. You could get some by discarding an Art of War card and converting it into Mystical power, but the majority came from “praying” with units (discarding one of their Activation cards to gain a certain amount of points). The idea was good but we felt it made certain units too “static” and that units that were further from the action for whatever reason would quickly become power generators and little else.

We therefore decided to remove mystic power. We made the more simple skills totally free, therefore giving their corresponding unit more utility and character. Because a Medusa that can’t petrify or a Minotaur that can’t rampage just isn’t fun, we then reduced the cost of the more potent ones to something more manageable in Art of War cards (1 or 2, although some special abilities are even free). It’s simpler and gives you a real tactical choice to make when it comes to either using your cards for a tactical advantage or a devastating ability.

The source article.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laurent Simon
France
Paris
flag msg tools
There are some rules changes, (much) more variety in the troops, and I believe the gods were not there in the first place, if I understood correctly.
Feebacks about the old ones were okay-ish, feedback for the new ones are all excellent, so I'd imagine the rules change are a big plus ;-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is really simple. You do not like it. So, do not get it.

If for rules changes, there surely will be a PDF download of the rulebook, which should be all you really need?

Really, if you are not into the miniatures, than this is just not the game for you.

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Ottawa
Ontario
msg tools
Because it's fun to wait almost two years after your initial investment to receive something that feels half-baked. Duh!

In Monolith, I trust.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
anthony dybacz
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DayinDaLife wrote:

I mean Hyboria and that dose not even fit the theme or anything in this game.

Actually, there is a whole region of Hyboria that is equivalent to ancient Greece (the names Argos and Corinthia kind of give it away).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt B
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can see being indifferent to miniatures or wanting to avoid them due to the additional cost, but being turned off by them surprises me. When I was in school, my friend and I used to pass a laminated chess board that used grease pencil pieces back and forth. It was functional but I definitely preferred playing with actual three dimensional pieces. This seems similar to me.

I do kind of like the disks in Disk Wars though because they contain some unit information, was that the case with the original game?

I also kind of get wanting to use colored standees instead of plain gray minis (if you're not painting). Is that part of it?

I for one dig minis but I was a deprived child that never had enough toys so I make up for that now!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Johnson

Athens
Ohio
msg tools
mbmbmb
I owned Mythic Battles and the 2 expansions and rated it a 7 on BGG. I thought the game was pretty decent but not a keeper (I eventually sold it). However, I am backing the new version.

First and foremost, I'm not a minis person (I opted for the Standees in Gloomhaven over minis), so my primary reasons for backing this new "edition" of Mythic Battles is not based on the minis.

From my perspective, there are three things that seem like improvements to me.

1a) One-off skirmishes with dual win conditions. (More streamlined.)
1b) Incorporating the Gods into the battle. If I recall correctly, one of the expansions from MB added God cards to your deck that did something special, but I prefer having the Gods be the focal point of the army and 1 of the win conditions. The collecting crystals win condition is also interesting and prevents extreme turtling.

2) Drafting armies. (It just gives the game much more flexibility.)

3) Multiuse Art of War Cards. (The power points aspect was an extra step that didn't add much to the game)

I also much prefer the dashboards. The card stack was an interesting solution (and probably cheaper than creating dashboards), but that doesn't mean it is the preferred one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Day Life
msg tools
@SuperMike . . gratz on being pretty much the only post that is on topic here....

I to much prefer standies. i think the trend in games at the moment for minis is horrible. unless you are a painter and lets face it 90% of us do not paint the minis, you end up with a sea of grey plastic. Not only making everything looks bland and same-ish and hard to distinguish but also makes the game expensive, heavy and take up a lot of shelf space.

I to like the God system.. I enjoyed them in the original game a lot but always felt that they could have more focus. I do think this is a positive change.

The Army draft I am not that keen on. I think it makes a good "game mode" but I believe that army building, like deck building in a card game or you get in warhammer or X-Wing is a real part of miniature games. Building an army that you like with combos you enjoy seeing go off is 1/2 the fun. I just do nto see a draft as really anything that is a positive beyond a cool way to make more a casual way of playing, but only as a "mode" not as how the game functions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
david demaret
France
paris
flag msg tools
designer
mb
CardboardAnt wrote:
DayinDaLife wrote:

I mean Hyboria and that dose not even fit the theme or anything in this game.

Actually, there is a whole region of Hyboria that is equivalent to ancient Greece (the names Argos and Corinthia kind of give it away).

yeah exactly, in a video they said that this is the region that will be compatible, not the whole Conan game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thaddeus MacTaggart
Netherlands
Almere Buiten
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DayinDaLife wrote:

For the record, the art is actually worse than before... and a cona
n cross over is a horrible idea, though as a cash grab from there other game I guess it makes sense.. I mean Hyboria and that dose not even fit the theme or anything in this game.

It just seams that the only thing this version has going are the miniatures, which as I said are a total turn off.

I mean dose anyone know what the rule changes are yet?

On top of all that horror, they also have a HUGE number of Kickstarter Exclusives, which you really hate ..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Johnson

Athens
Ohio
msg tools
mbmbmb
DayinDaLife wrote:

The Army draft I am not that keen on. I think it makes a good "game mode" but I believe that army building, like deck building in a card game or you get in warhammer or X-Wing is a real part of miniature games. Building an army that you like with combos you enjoy seeing go off is 1/2 the fun. I just do nto see a draft as really anything that is a positive beyond a cool way to make more a casual way of playing, but only as a "mode" not as how the game functions.

You still get to build your army mostly the way you want to in a 2p game (I can see a 4p game being more frustrating during the draft). I mean, your army size is relatively small in this version and we keep unlocking new Gods/Monsters/Heroes/Units. In a 2p game, there will be a pretty large number of options where players may not even want to draft the same units.

I understand your point about army/deck construction, but I actually think a draft has its advantages too. For one, it circumvents the restrictions of having set factions (e.g., "You mean if I play as Zeus, I never get to have Cerebus? That's stupid!"). Secondly, it also eliminates dominant strategies from developing.

So, for instance, if we play 5 times in a row and you keep wrecking me with the same strategy (Say Zeus + Cerebus), I can draft Cerebus, which will disrupt that strategy and force you to try out something different.

With all that said, there doesn't appear to be any sort of campaign mode as of yet, so if you enjoyed that portion of the original, it seems to be lacking here (which also means the wincons for this edition will always be similar, unless you house rule). Also, while there is more freedom in who you can put into your army, army size and board composition seem restrictive when compared to the first. Finally, it seems like units may have less abilities than in the previous version.

Basically, what you get here is a streamlined version of the original (mostly* changes for the better) with upgraded components. Oh, and considering the success of the campaign right now, we'll probably see at least one more Pantheon kickstarted at some point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a campaign mode. Multiple scenarios will be played with the outcome of one influencing the next. At least, that is what they said in the interview.

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thaddeus MacTaggart
Netherlands
Almere Buiten
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SuperMike3288 wrote:
You still get to build your army mostly the way you want to in a 2p game (I can see a 4p game being more frustrating during the draft). I mean, your army size is relatively small in this version and we keep unlocking new Gods/Monsters/Heroes/Units. In a 2p game, there will be a pretty large number of options where players may not even want to draft the same units.

I can imagine if you look at the gameplay vid it may cause some concern as there are just a limited number of options in the demo.

But now with all these stretch goals and (upcoming) add-ons, the number of choices really gets 2- to 3-fold. Much easier to pick the unites you want and have some good ineractions.
Only thing I hope for is a little less creep/undead SGs. The demo had none but it seems every 2nd SG and add-on has skeleton or zombie or spider units .. :o
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Johnson

Athens
Ohio
msg tools
mbmbmb
They are pulling largely from the original game material, and in the original game, there were two factions -- Hades and Athena. Most of the units for Hades were pretty nasty, so if they're working through most of the "source material" from the base game and its two expansions, it's not surprising we'll see a bunch of undead/creep stuff (though, Arachne, if I am remembering correctly, was actually a part of Athena's forces).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave S
England
Newcastle under lyme
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Seems like you answered your own question to me !! You don't like minis so it would be stupid to buy a minis game where 75% of the cost is in the minis.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.