Bios: Genesis» Forums » General

Subject: Problem or feature (bored players)? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paweł Bedz
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In our last 4p game we had odd situation...
Player 1: Had some microorganism, was doing his stuff.
Player 2: Same as Player 1.
Player 3: Had Macroorganism (in turn 4 iirc). He had there 1 biont and biont 2 and 3 were in microorganisms of other players.
Player 4: She had all bionts on other tableaus as endosymbiont/chromosome. And no catalysts at all.

So basically Player 3 and 4 were bored... They had almost nothing to do on their turn (since all bionts were busy) and game was played by player 1 and player 2... Is this normal?

I know someone could grab HGT and move their biont, but that was not the case. Macro is like a snowball - it has good O2 protection and she had endosymbiont giving her cancer protection... Nothing to do, nothing to worry about.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yani
Switzerland
Zürich
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1. It might not be the best idea to have only parasites and no own micro
2. Did p3/4 try to spend/waste catalysts from other players?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Gastonguay
United States
Pottstown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Act Three! Everybody Dies!
mbmbmb
This happened occasionally in my playtests. But only occasionally. Usually it was a quick wait for the other shoe to drop.

I wouldn't expect it to happen a lot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Taylor
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
An important rule that we missed in our first game is that Bionts in other player's organisms can spend that player's catalysts to buy mutations. It may slightly improve the organism but allows you to interfere with their economy and potentially buy a mutation with HGT to get your Biont out.

So, while there may be players who have less control than others, no-one should be stuck with nothing to do for very long.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Narcis Madern
Spain
Figueres
Girona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
But that does not apply when you have a biont as foreign gene in a macroorganism: in that case you cannot use HGT (although if would not make a lot of sense since you would probably lose several points by going away of a macroorganism).

I can see the game being slightly boring when all your bionts are "stuck" in macroorganisms, with little to do in every turn.

Actually, this happened to me yesterday by playing the solo variant, although I might be doing something wrong, because it was really weird to spend 5 turns with almost nothing to do apart of showing new events and buying again and again new organs (after they died because of the events) for the only living organism I had...until the end of the game (I had two of my bionts on my organism, and the other (unsuccesfully) trying to create new bacteria in almost dead refugia).

DicingWithDearth wrote:
An important rule that we missed in our first game is that Bionts in other player's organisms can spend that player's catalysts to buy mutations. It may slightly improve the organism but allows you to interfere with their economy and potentially buy a mutation with HGT to get your Biont out.

So, while there may be players who have less control than others, no-one should be stuck with nothing to do for very long.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich James
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have only played solo thus far (via Vassal module), but many times that way. I would expect if a player has all his bionts as endosymbionts in macroorganisms, the game is almost at its end anyhow. It would be rare for all of them to be stuck in this way by mid-game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.