1 , 2  Next »   | 

Conan» Forums » Rules

Subject: Line of Sight example rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Calvo Calvo
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Are elements surrounded by yellow line of sight in this example prevent line of sight?

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gavin White
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Rise And Reverberate
mbmbmbmbmb
That is how I have played it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Franz Derphausen
Germany
Düsseldorf
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Depends on how high some of the bushes have grown.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One detail to consider is the truly odd perspective of the walls: they all move "outward" from their base. It "could be reasonable" to use the base of each building, instead of their outward-skewed walls, for LOS purposes.

Which one is "correct", i'm not sure. The provided picture seems reasonable to me, but indeed (as Franz noted) the height of the bushes is unknown, so they might or might not block LOS.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mad Halfling
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If correct, that does rather imply that ranged weapons and spells are almost ineffective in the pict village, doesn't it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Croquet
France
flag msg tools
mb
Mad-Halfling wrote:
If correct, that does rather imply that ranged weapons and spells are almost ineffective in the pict village, doesn't it?

Spells that require LOS, yes. And yes, the pictish village is not the best map for ranged attack. The ships' map on the other hand...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
anthony dybacz
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LoS is one aspect of the rules that REALLY needs clarification. Some actual useful diagram examples would be nice...

We err on the side of the shooter when it comes to LoS and quite a few of those yellow circles we allow. If the line 'skirts' a wall, we allow it. Bushes? We allow it.

Basically, imo, LoS is only blocked if it passes through a wall or other clearly solid structure. Until the clarifications, that is how we will play it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hobbs
United Kingdom
Aberdare
Rhondda Cynon Taff
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CardboardAnt wrote:
LoS is one aspect of the rules that REALLY needs clarification. Some actual useful diagram examples would be nice...

We err on the side of the shooter when it comes to LoS and quite a few of those yellow circles we allow. If the line 'skirts' a wall, we allow it. Bushes? We allow it.

Basically, imo, LoS is only blocked if it passes through a wall or other clearly solid structure. Until the clarifications, that is how we will play it.

yeah I agree with this approach, keep it simple and forgot about things like bushes etc

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Blake
Spain
Barcelona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MikeHobbs wrote:
CardboardAnt wrote:

yeah I agree with this approach, keep it simple and forgot about things like bushes etc

Me too.
But this issue needs clarifications indeed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Aull
United States
Owensboro
KY
flag msg tools
Gaming Collector/Enthusiast
badge
Gamer Without a Cause
mbmbmbmbmb
Pict village is filled with lack of LoS because it's tight quarters, and rightfully so.

Line of sight is correctly blocked by yellow circles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
anthony dybacz
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hillean wrote:
Pict village is filled with lack of LoS because it's tight quarters, and rightfully so.

Line of sight is correctly blocked by yellow circles.

You forgot to add "in my opinion..."; the rules are totally open to interpretation, hence this thread.

Some people are fine with players deciding and some want more concrete LoS rules. I am in between, personally, I would just like some guidelines/examples and then use my judgement.

LoS on any game is a tricky concept to get right. They have give it a go with these circles and some examples would give at least a basis for working out intent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank BLACKFIRE
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Another version from french fans with LOS cut by every map details.

In green, the available LOS.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Conan Meriadoc
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's pretty restrictive indeed ! Of course, once Conan starts bashing walls, that's going to change.

Frank, is there the same LOS summary for other maps ? I'm guessing it's somewhere on Tric-Trac or maybe Conan Chandelier, but I'll admit, I'm a bit too lazy to search

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyrone ..................
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CardboardAnt wrote:

I also agree with this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dystopian wrote:
That's pretty restrictive indeed ! Of course, once Conan starts bashing walls, that's going to change.

Not necessarily: that depends on (A) where the Wall Wrecker places the "opening" token along each wall and on (B) whether or not the players are allowed to move those tokens around after they are places (e.g. to open up an LOS which otherwise wouldn't be open).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K. Hansen
Denmark
flag msg tools
By Crom !
mbmbmbmbmb
Pallantides wrote:

So according to this diagram, in the upper right hand corner, a piece of pottery or a pot on a fireplace blocks line of sight ? If this is the case, why doesn't a ballista on the ship map block line of sight ?
Is this really the intention from the designers ? How can we possibly as players of the game figure out the LOS rules ? The rules mention obstacles such as walls, doors and masts. But do they actually mean that anything and everything blocks line of sight ?

Any sort of official guide to this would be nice. Even a preliminary one would be of great help to all of us.

Sorry for the rant guys. cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank BLACKFIRE
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
stenfisker wrote:
So according to this diagram, in the upper right hand corner, a piece of pottery or a pot on a fireplace blocks line of sight ? If this is the case, why doesn't a ballista on the ship map block line of sight ?
Is this really the intention from the designers ? How can we possibly as players of the game figure out the LOS rules ? The rules mention obstacles such as walls, doors and masts. But do they actually mean that anything and everything blocks line of sight ?

Not sure for the fireplace or the pottery...
My example is not the word of Monolith, the LOS are debated even by the French players.

stenfisker wrote:
If this is the case, why doesn't a ballista on the ship map block line of sight ?

I agree.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K. Hansen
Denmark
flag msg tools
By Crom !
mbmbmbmbmb
By Crom !
Monolith, please give us a few comments on the original post !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank BLACKFIRE
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

It seems that all maps specificities will be commented in the new version of the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trastion
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That is good that they are going to address them in the new rules but so far we don't know WHEN we will get those new rules and it makes it pretty hard to play the game right now.

This is something they should address quickly and post something since it even affects the french players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
paul clarke
United Kingdom
Unspecified
sheffield
flag msg tools
Pallantides wrote:

have you any links to these diagrams...very useful indeed

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank BLACKFIRE
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Uthin wrote:
Pallantides wrote:

Here is a picture done by French fans

Interesting. I've seen another such image here on BBG. Where do you find them?

In non-official french fan-made FAQ and Rules Compendium :

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/17442583/Games/Conan/Con...

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/17442583/Games/Conan/Con...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felipe Bulhões
Brazil
flag msg tools
mb
Help me understand the LoS rules.

If I am on a elevated terrain, I only have LoS to the adjacent areas and vice-versa?

If am on the wall, I don't have LoS to the entire blue region, only to the blue areas adjacent to my space?

This doesn't really make any sense to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank BLACKFIRE
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

In blue, the courtyard area. All this blue area can be aimed from anywhere when on the ramparts.

In green, the LOS from and towards the towers.

And you can shoot from ramparts to ramparts (but in some cases, round tower walls block LOS).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felipe Bulhões
Brazil
flag msg tools
mb
Pallantides wrote:

In blue, the courtyard area. All this blue area can be aimed from anywhere when on the ramparts.

In green, the LOS from and towards the towers.

And you can shoot from ramparts to ramparts (but in some cases, round tower walls block LOS).

So, from the top of the tower, you can only target target people on the green line areas? This rule is really strange.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.