Subject: Firing multiple rockets / ion thrusters rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adam Garbett
United Kingdom
Walsall
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a query about when firing multiple rockets / ion thrusters.

I understand they fire in sequence - but do they have to push the mass of the other components providing thrust at the same time?

My query come from a solo game I played last night where I did a trip to Mars with 3 Ion Thrusters (plus supplies and Vostok), I wasn't sure whether I needed to accommodate the mass of each other Ion Thruster as part of my calculation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger BW
United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes. You check the outcome for each one separately, but you need to push the entire spacecraft mass with each one. (Unless you are explicitly staging through multiple locations, as with Earth to Sub-Orbital Flight to Earth Orbit – but that's two separate manoeuvres in game terms.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Garbett
United Kingdom
Walsall
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks. Just to clarify - if the thrust reference card says 1 Ion Thruster doing a manoeuvre for x years can push 3 mass, if I have 3 Ion Thrusters doing that manoeuvre they can push 9 mass - 3 of which is made up of the Ion Thrusters?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paweł Bedz
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Adam i think what you are asking for.
It looks like this:
1. Separate rocket parts in two stacks (engines you want ot use and rest). Now ignite each rocket/ion. If they succeed whole thrust provided must be enough to push "rest" of the rocket.

And if for example you plan to fire 3 Juno rockets and payload is a probe:
1. Set all 3 junos aside. Will the thrust provided by those rockets be enough to push rest (probe)?
2. If yes - fire each juno drawing outcome.

So single juno fired in this manner does not have to push 2 junos + probe. That way it would be extremly difficult to move anything. Rockets are fired simultanously thus do not need to push other fired rockets.

All above is true when you are using chart on player agency card
When you calculate thrust required "the hard way" (mass x difficulty = required thrust) you take mass of whole ship, including rockets you are firing. Calculate it once, before any ignition. Then ignite enough engines to provide this thrust.

To above - yes. In taht case 3 Ions will be able to move 9 mass of payload (not counting Ion engines that are being fired if you are using chart on player card).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.