Popular Tags: [View All]
Gary Masters
England
flag msg tools
#!STRING_NOT_FOUND!#
badge
Son of Jor-El
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking at the Cardassian player board I noticed the "Occupation" rule that states that all Cardassian controlled systems only generate production if a Cardassian ship is in orbit.

What happens if the Cardassians lose their last ship? Does this effectively eliminate them from the game, because they won't be able to generate more production? Seems harsh.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guðmundur Skallagrímson
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
I guess Cardassians will have to be careful and not spend down to zero production early on, when the systems are still vulnerable. This adds to the uniqueness and theme to the race; they start slower than others, but they pick up once a few key advancements are in place. With that saved up production in the late game, why not use the tech to build a secret fleet anywhere, another tech to form a fleet there, while other techs add to your production and defenses at home, and go conquer yourself an empire!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
You can take my game… when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the board!
mbmbmbmbmb
I would guess the Cardassians are going to have at least one ship in every system anyway (to enable production nodes). So to lose all their ships would be very rare... and a sign that they are about to lose all territory and be eliminated from the game as well.

But I'm glad you pointed this out. Certainly something the Cardassian player has to keep in mind, especially if their empire dwindles. Don't send all your remaining ships into battle unless it's truly a last stand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lou Lessing
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's no way to attack a ship at warp, so if you're worried about this happening to you, you can put fleets in warp and leave them there until you can go last, then hopefully use them to retake (or at least re-occupy) one of your production nodes. They can get also get production from other places, most notably trade. Somebody should be willing to let you back into the game for 3 production, probably.

The Federation has something similar if they spend themselves to zero culture and lose control of their last culture node. It costs culture to build culture nodes, and it costs culture to use Hegemony to take one from another player. They can't take one in an Invasion because of the prime directive, and their only other way to get culture is their exploration trigger, which shuts off permanently once the planet supply runs out. And because of the Prime Directive, they need culture to win -- they are capable of winning a supremacy victory, but they need to use Hegemony to do it. So if you get down to zero you really are screwed.

In both cases, you have to pass turn with zero of a resource, and then the other players have to basically entirely conquer your empire in one turn. Keeping a couple bucks in reserve when you're vulnerable to attacks from players later in the turn order OR being able to successfully defend even one node is enough to stop this happening to you. If you can keep people off of Cardassia, you'll earn enough to build a ship. If you can't keep people off your homeworld, you're in trouble no matter which faction you're playing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emiliano Fortini
Italy
flag msg tools
Please help me to understand it correctly:

Cardassian controlled systems with one nodes per type generate only one production token (one from the production node present) if there are at least a ship in orbit.

Or

The same system above generate 3 production token (one per nodes) if there are at least one ship in orbit.

Or is intended to be:

Cardassian controlled system with one nodes per type generate one research token and one culture token but no production token if there are no ship in orbit.

But if it was so, how is it possible to gain ALSO a production token from culture nodes, as stated on the Labor Camps Advancement, if the Occupation rules says that the systems with at least a ship in orbit generate ONLY production?

Can you just make a few examples to clarify this two rules?
Sorry but I'm Italian and understand correctly all the rules is not so easy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
Happy grandfather!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
The rule could be written better.

Research and culture nodes always generate resources.
Production nodes (and labor camps) do not generate resources unless a ship is in orbit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emiliano Fortini
Italy
flag msg tools
ok! Many thanks!

That's as I supposed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Warpinski
United States
Green Bay
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Does this include the home world?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lou Lessing
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.