Subject: German rules rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Johannes Blank
Germany
Münster
Northrine-Westphalia
flag msg tools
I'm asking for a relative of mine obsessed with everything Napoleanic: Does anyone know if there are german rules (official or unofficial) out there? I couldn't find any on GMTs website or in the file section here, so I assume I'm out of luck?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Smith
United States
Kokomo
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The closest you will get for now is the Prussian rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes Blank
Germany
Münster
Northrine-Westphalia
flag msg tools
hpgeek wrote:
The closest you will get for now is the Prussian rules.

I should probably clarify that I meant rules in the german language, not rules for the germans as playable faction. I'm not a wargamer myself and only now realize how confusing the question really is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jörn Mang
Germany
Ludwigshafen am Rhein
flag msg tools
Hi Johannes,

I've now taken a look as well. It seems there are no German rules. I guess it's because most German wargamers are happy with the English rules, but I understand that's not an option for everyone.

I have previously taught games with English rules to people who wouldn't have understood them in writing. I can only suggest that you act as an intermediary and teach the game to your relative yourself. You could also translate one of the available rules summaries and/or reference sheets. After a few plays you only really need the reference sheets anyway. The playing cards might be a problem, since they sometimes are a bit text-heavy.

Being married to a translator and having translated a couple of contracts and legal texts myself as well, I wouldn't recommend having them professionally translated. Translation services are expensive...

Viel Glück noch, ich würde echt an deiner Stelle probieren, dem Verwandten das Spiel persönlich beizubringen. Die Einheiten- und Geländereferenzkarten können mit einigen wenigen Übersetzungen (z.B. range = Reichweite) zugänglich gemacht werden. Die Karten sind zur Hälfte auch ohne Englischkenntnisse verständlich (links ein Pfeil mit einer 3 = auf der linken Flanke drei Einheiten aktivieren), die andere Hälfte (ich tippe auf etwa 10 verschiedene Karten) könntest du sonst durch eine kurze Erklärung auf eine Word-Seite bringen.

I hope to have been of some help.

Regards,
Jörn
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes Blank
Germany
Münster
Northrine-Westphalia
flag msg tools
Sir_Fortesque wrote:
Hi Johannes,

I've now taken a look as well. It seems there are no German rules. I guess it's because most German wargamers are happy with the English rules, but I understand that's not an option for everyone.

I have previously taught games with English rules to people who wouldn't have understood them in writing. I can only suggest that you act as an intermediary and teach the game to your relative yourself. You could also translate one of the available rules summaries and/or reference sheets. After a few plays you only really need the reference sheets anyway. The playing cards might be a problem, since they sometimes are a bit text-heavy.

Being married to a translator and having translated a couple of contracts and legal texts myself as well, I wouldn't recommend having them professionally translated. Translation services are expensive...

Viel Glück noch, ich würde echt an deiner Stelle probieren, dem Verwandten das Spiel persönlich beizubringen. Die Einheiten- und Geländereferenzkarten können mit einigen wenigen Übersetzungen (z.B. range = Reichweite) zugänglich gemacht werden. Die Karten sind zur Hälfte auch ohne Englischkenntnisse verständlich (links ein Pfeil mit einer 3 = auf der linken Flanke drei Einheiten aktivieren), die andere Hälfte (ich tippe auf etwa 10 verschiedene Karten) könntest du sonst durch eine kurze Erklärung auf eine Word-Seite bringen.

I hope to have been of some help.

Regards,
Jörn

Hi,

thanks, this was very helpful. I have no problem with english myself, as basically everything I read and write is in english (harder for me to write/read sth. in german by now), I just don't know how keen I am on learning the rules for the game. As I said, I'm not really a wargamer myself, but probably curious enough to try (I really enjoyed Twilight Struggle, also from GMT). Well I guess I'll learn the rules so I can teach my relative how to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.