Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Keith B
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can you pass on drafting a card or must you do it, even at the cost of replacing cards on your board?

Apologies if this has been asked and answered. I searched and couldn't find it, and didn't see it in the FAQ.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Baker Odom
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
texascpa wrote:
Can you pass on drafting a card or must you do it, even at the cost of replacing cards on your board?

Apologies if this has been asked and answered. I searched and couldn't find it, and didn't see it in the FAQ.

You must draft a card but you do not have to use it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Hostetler
United States
Warminster
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thebaker1983 wrote:

You must draft a card but you do not have to use it.

This, you can immediately discard it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Note that cards also have an optional ability when you scrap them. You might want to use that instead of just plain discarding it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith B
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Clipper wrote:
Note that cards also have an optional ability when you scrap them. You might want to use that instead of just plain discarding it.

Yes, this assumed you didn't have any damage or needed to swap.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Peacock
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Must draft, may scrap for no effect. Confirmed by Chris from Riot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray Phay
United States
Nampa
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it just me or does anyone else feel that being able to scrap a card without having to do its effect makes this game that much easier to win?

For example when I setup a mission and learn my objections I know all of the cards that are in the game so I just have to plan what I want my command board to look like and program it as such. Then when drafting cards I only take the cards that I need and if nothing comes up that will help we take and then scrap.

I played the 1st 3 missions again last night with 2 people that have never played before and we walked through all 3 missions with almost no problems. There were a couple of times when we did end up taking damage but in those 2 or 3 cases the damage cards did not really effect our plans. We did end up scrapping a half dozen cards or more each game just to discard them as we were not getting what we needed but were able to still program our command boards close enough to what we needed.

I really hope that this game gets harder in respect to this issue with the later missions that we have not played but so far it does look like once you know what you need to do it is not that hard. Especially when replaying a mission.

I originally played the first 2 missions with my wife in a 2 player game and we won both with not to much difficulty. But since I had already won the missions I found that playing them again even with new players that had never seen the missions they were easier. I even let them make most the plans as not to spoil the game for them. However they are like me and figured out the routes to complete the board before turn 1 and tried to draft to those plans.

Do not get me wrong I am having fun playing the game but I am just finding that it is a lot easier that I thought that it would be as I am used to co-op games being really hard to win.

Ray

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was surprised by that rule myself. We played our first couple of games forcing you to use whatever you picked up, before we heard Chris' ruling. It definitely raises the difficulty.

Of course, it's your game, and if you feel it's too easy, it's a pretty simple houserule to just not allow scrapping. Of course, you can still often get around things by picking up cards which allow swapping, and swapping slots where it doesn't matter (or if you're getting 2 cards, swap a slot then swap it back.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
WD Yoga
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
But if you keep on doing that (scrapping cards to cycle it), wouldn't you risk losing the game against the inbuilt clock (lava wall, minions advancement etc)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray Phay
United States
Nampa
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree on the house rules and I do that at times if the game really needs it. And this is a rule that I may put into effect once I have finished the game just so that I can see all of the missions.

When I first started playing with my wife I also thought that you had to play all the cards. This maid the timed draft critical as you really did not want to end up with a card that would mess you up. But in this case if the timer runs out and you get a card that will throw off your command line just scrap it who cares. Kind of kills the pressure of the times draft.

I just wanted to see if I was the only one that thought this with this particular rule.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.