Subject: Question about scoring cards at the end of the game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Manubis Premier
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi

I have a question about cards that give Victory Points (bottom right corner of these cards) at the end of the game.

A) Do the Victory Points in cards remaining in hand (not played) count for final scoring ?

or

B) Only Victory Points on cards actually played (these cards whom cost was paid to be allowed to put them on table) ?

Thank you in advance.

Best Regards,
Manubis.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Renato
Portugal
Vila Nova Gaia
Porto
flag msg tools
I run through Rahdo's Runthroughs and make right what once went wrong (via annotations)
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Only cards on the table count for that
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Florian Ruckeisen
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Only cards played and paid count - including your face-down event card pile, of course.

Cards you still hold in hand are just dead weight at the end of the game. Would be a little too easy otherwise, wouldn't it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manubis Premier
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Florian wrote:
Only cards played and paid count - including your face-down event card pile, of course.

Cards you still hold in hand are just dead weight at the end of the game. Would be a little too easy otherwise, wouldn't it?

Thank you Paulo and Florian for your quick answer.

Of course, it seems too easy for me too
But, I could'nt be sure after several reading of page 12 of the rules

Best Regards,
Manubis.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H-B-G
United Kingdom
Halesowen
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Manubis wrote:
Florian wrote:

Thank you Paulo and Florian for your quick answer.

Of course, it seems too easy for me too
But, I could'nt be sure after several reading of page 12 of the rules

Best Regards,
Manubis.

Yes, although I agree that it is only played cards and that is how I've played it, looking through the rules I can't find anywhere that explicitly states that cards in hand do not count.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Cohn
United States
Racine
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DaveD wrote:
Yes, although I agree that it is only played cards and that is how I've played it, looking through the rules I can't find anywhere that explicitly states that cards in hand do not count.

It's found on Page 3 of the (US) rules, but it does seem strange it was not reiterated on Page 12 also. It's in the paragraph about GAME OVERVIEW, directly above the next section GLOBAL PARAMETERS, it's in bold and in larger font:
Rulebook wrote:
The winner is the player with most VPs at the end of the game. VPs come from your TR, your tiles on the game board, won awards,
claimed milestones, and VPs on cards you have played.
(underlined by me, for emphasis, it should be noted this includes both face up and face down events, as described on Page 12)

For the sake of avoiding confusion, when the final production is done and after the final round of greenery tiles are placed, before scoring, I ask my players to hand in all of their unplayed cards.

I also want to point out that only rarely should there be any, perhaps never. Cards in hand at the end are worthless. Cards during play can all be turned in for M€ as a Standard Action, and "most M€" is a tie-breaker as covered on page 12.

Hope that helps?

Great game!
~Steve
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manubis Premier
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Steve,

Thank you very much, well seen ! *thumb up*
I missed this.

Best Regards,
Manubis.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enoch Fryxelius
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Don't be mad at the game designers! It's really hard to make a rulebook that is short and to the point, and at the same time clear.

But seriously - do we have to write in the rules that you don't count VPs on cards still in your hand???
In that case we might also need to add that you place the game board with the printed side up...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Chaney

California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OchreOgre wrote:
I also want to point out that only rarely should there be any (cards left in hand at game end), perhaps never. Cards in hand at the end are worthless. Cards during play can all be turned in for M€ as a Standard Action, and "most M€" is a tie-breaker as covered on page 12.

It is not uncommon for a player to Pass and drop out of the action before it is known that the current Generation will be the last.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Winston Spencer
Brazil
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kenchaney wrote:
OchreOgre wrote:
I also want to point out that only rarely should there be any (cards left in hand at game end), perhaps never. Cards in hand at the end are worthless. Cards during play can all be turned in for M€ as a Standard Action, and "most M€" is a tie-breaker as covered on page 12.

It is not uncommon for a player to Pass and drop out of the action before it is known that the current Generation will be the last.

I like to create "surprise last turn", when people think that the game will have another turn, but I use a card that let me finish the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Cohn
United States
Racine
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kenchaney wrote:

Possible, of course, but I would hope anyone playing the game for the first time against experienced players would have other players pointing out that "we are nearing the end" when that time comes. Anyone not playing the game for the first time will likely be able to spot that on their own.

Nothing wrong with rushing the game against your mates who have experience, of course, I have no issue dropping a shrubbery in one action to cap O2 and the last ocean with my other, then later in the same generation raising the temp twice with a single well-timed event and then capping it off with my pile of extra heat. And knowing I could do that, hopefully I grabbed the Thermalist award earlier and planned further extra heat accordingly.

I can't imagine an experienced player looking at the board, seeing all 3 global parameters are either capped or nearly capped and--realizing there may not be a turn left--decides to sit on a hand of cards when you can see your opponents have a handful of cards, 6+ plants, a pile of heat to dump, 42 M€ in the bank, and deciding to just pass and hope everyone else does, too, and hopefully the next turn is better?

But doing it against a newer player, someone just learning the game for the first time? That strikes me as bad form; a new player wouldn't even know it was possible to do that. "Well, I did these other 6 things you didn't know I could do, all at once, so that's the end of the game. Since you passed you don't do anything else and oh, yeah, those cards in your hand aren't worth anything at the end. What did you think?"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.