Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

Tide of Iron» Forums » Rules

Subject: Plateau Rules rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Prasant Moorthy
Australia
Brisbane
QLD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Realise that it's a game and not a real physical model but was looking at the diagram on page 26 of the downloadable rules and noticed something really weird...

Using good old ascii art, the bottom row looks like:

- _ - _ _ _

and someone on the far left hex can hit someone on the far right hex.

If however you connect the two hills making:

- - - _ _ _

You can't make the shot anymore due to plateau rule. How does that work?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike zebrowski
United States
Unspecified
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
Don't think about it too much. More accurate (and complicated) LOS rules will be posted online later.

Mike Z
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert F-C
Australia
Sydney
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Pras,

Basically you need to pretend that any intervening hills are "half-height" hills with the standard LOS scheme, that is, they are the same height as buildings and forests. Whereas any extension of the current hill you are standing on is assumed to be at the same height (ie a plateau).

In our game we found that the basic ToI LOS rules were very easy to play, generally intuitive and effective for vast majority of the elevated terrain situations you are likely to encounter on a board. The LOS "quirks" that occur for the remaining fews cases are well worth the simplification in my opinion.

--- RFC ---
6 3 3
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
WhereAreTheBlackDice wrote:
The LOS "quirks" that occur for the remaining fews cases are well worth the simplification in my opinion.


Why is this "simpler" than treating all elevation-1 hexes as being at the same height?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert F-C
Australia
Sydney
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Quote:
Why is this "simpler" than treating all elevation-1 hexes as being at the same height?


Its simpler in that intervening blocking terrain such as forests and buildings are treated exactly the same as intervening level 1 hills. Having said that I do actually agree with you that treating hills differently to other blocking terrain makes more sense without adding very much additional complexity.

The main thing I really wanted to say was that I felt that the basic LOS rules (as written) adequately cover the majority of situations you encounter on the board.

--- RFC ---
3 3 2
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dow Jones
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
This is not Adv squad Leader, A lot of younger people will pick up this game so a simlified LOS rule set will make learning the game less of a burden and playing more fun.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dow Jones
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
Quote:
Basically you need to pretend that any intervening hills are "half-height" hills with the standard LOS scheme, that is, they are the same height as buildings and forests. Whereas any extension of the current hill you are standing on is assumed to be at the same height (ie a plateau).


You could look at the single hex hill in the example as a hillock--a small rise of only .5 in height, thus you get the advantage of seeing over it and the blind hex effect.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Complete & Sufficient Statistician
United States
North Potomac
Maryland
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
You could look at the single hex hill in the example as a hillock--a small rise of only .5 in height, thus you get the advantage of seeing over it and the blind hex effect.


...until you have a unit on that "hillock" and it has to shoot over the original hill.

Doh!

Maybe the hills can rise and fall?

Sidenote: I count ToI as a fun game, not a realistic simulation. However, these kind of things can kill the "suspension of disbelief".
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spacegras
Canada
St. John's
NL
flag msg tools
Bring on the hordes, we have the sword that smote the Goblin of Gygaxnor.
badge
HooDoo Operator
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
so.... if the plateau rule comes into effect then it occurs to infinity right? if it is blocking line of sight, it blocks LoS to everything in that line correct?
Chris
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Complete & Sufficient Statistician
United States
North Potomac
Maryland
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
so.... if the plateau rule comes into effect then it occurs to infinity right? if it is blocking line of sight, it blocks LoS to everything in that line correct?


Realistic or not, that's correct.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.