Popular Tags: [View All]
Adam Holbrook
United States
Crofton
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to the Star Realms Masters Series, Heroes Discipline!

This is the main competition thread for the Heroes Discipline, while there will be plenty of information contained here, additional information can be found in the main thread, and the discipline qualification thread:

Star Realms Masters Series – main discussion & announcement thread
Star Realms Masters Series – Heroes, registration & qualification

The Heroes Discipline is centered on competition using the Crisis: Heroes digital expansion and the original Base Set for this season. Players who have qualified for the discipline should subscribe to this thread, as well as leave a thumbs-up.

The qualifier and starter tournaments are both played as type-H, while the crossover tournaments on the circuit for this discipline will be type-HF, type-BH, type-EH, type-GH, and type-1H. There are six chances to earn an entry into the Mastery Invitational, by winning the starter tournament, or finishing top-3 in any of the crossover tournaments. All discipline qualifiers will participate in the Mastery Open tournament. Both halves of the Mastery tournament will be played as type-H.

Qualifier Tournament
If you are here legitimately, it means that you have already qualified, and this part of the competition is behind you. You would have earned 2 trophy points as a group winner, or 1 trophy point if you tied for the win.

Starter Tournament
The qualifiers will also move on to the second stage of the tournament, which will be the discipline starter tournament, a double elimination tournament. As with the other double elimination tournaments in the masters series, matches in the top bracket will be played as best-of-3 games, while matches in the losers bracket will be played as single-games. This is to keep the lower bracket on pace with the upper. The winner of the losers bracket will play the winner of the winners bracket in a best-of-five, with a one game advantage given to the upper player. The winner receives 3 trophy points, second and third place each earn 2 trophy points, fourth through eighth each earn 1 trophy point.

Heroes Qualifier & Starter - Challonge Page

Crossover Tournaments
Each crossover tournament will be a double-elimination tournament that qualifiers from two separate disciplines will come together to compete in. As with the starter tournament, matches in the top bracket will be played as best-of-3 games, while matches in the losers bracket will be played as single-games, and the final match will be played as a lop-sided best-o-five. The winner receives 4 trophy points, second and third place each earn 3 trophy points, fourth through eighth each earn 2 trophy point, and ninth through sixteenth all receive 1 trophy point. Participants who have qualified for both disciplines will receive the full amount of rewarded trophy points toward their ranking in both disciplines.

Heroes & Fleets Crossover - Challonge Page
Bases & Heroes Crossover - Challonge Page
Events & Heroes Crossover - Challonge Page
Gambits & Heroes Crossover - Challonge Page
Promos & Heroes Crossover - Challonge Page

Mastery Tournament
Both halves of the mastery tournament are single elimination, and matches will be played as best-of-three games by default. Entry into the Invitational half requires winning the Starter tournament, or finishing in the Top-3 of any of the Crossover tournaments. Accepting the invitation will also cost some amount of trophy points, probably 3, reducing the advantage the player might otherwise appreciate in the Open half of the tournament. In the Open half of the tournament, advantages will be given to players who have accumulated more trophy points than their opponents. The specific details are yet known, but in general, matches where one player has some threshold more trophy points than their opponent will be played as a lop-sided best-of-five series. The result of using this advantage, or surviving the disadvantage, may cause an adjustment to the trophy point total of the winning player. The idea is to place an appropriate level of importance on performance in earlier tournaments, while still allowing any qualifier a reasonable chance at winning the mastery.

Heroes Mastery Invitational - Challonge Page
Heroes Mastery Open - Challonge Page

Tentative Calendar
Qualifier tournament - Complete
Starter tournament - Complete
The Circuit
Crossover tournament 1 - Complete [HF]
Crossover tournament 2 - Complete [BH]
Crossover tournament 3 - Complete [EH]
Crossover tournament 4 - Complete [GH]
Crossover tournament 5 - Complete [1H]
Mastery Invitational - Complete
Mastery Open tournament - Complete

Quick Navigation: [ Gambits | Promos | Bases | Events | Heroes | Fleets ]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Holbrook
United States
Crofton
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Heroes Discipline Standings

Participants TP | Hq Hs Fx Bx Ex Gx Px
------------ -- | -- -- -- -- -- -- --
+Arcesius 14 | 2 0 2 2 4 2 2
+Klemp 12 | 2 2 1 0 2 4 1
+dommola 10 | 2 3 0 3 1 1 0
+Cfudge 9 | 0 0 4 3 0 1 1
+ColinMacLeod 9 | 1 0 2 0 1 2 3
StormDragon 9 | 1 1 1 2 1 1 2
+Chazzmo 8 | 1 1 3 0 0 1 2
+Zwivix 8 | 2 0 1 0 0 3 2
+AJEddy 7 | 0 0 0 0 3 2 2
+CbusRipper 7 | 2 1 0 0 0 1 3
Wheels 7 | 1 0 2 1 2 0 1
CrankyDay 6 | 2 0 0 0 2 2 0
Dusto 6 | 2 1 0 1 1 0 1
+DarthChronos 4 | 0 0 0 4 0 0 0
AngryPanda 4 | 1 2 0 1 0 0 0
Ominous 4 | 1 0 0 0 0 2 1
WestDaddyUtd 4 | 0 1 2 1 0 0 0
+codger 3 | 0 0 0 0 0 3 0
Oreok 3 | 2 0 1 0 0 0 0
neocow 2 | 0 0 1 0 1 0 0
SarahT 2 | 0 0 1 0 0 0 1
Messire 0 | 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

+ earned seat in Mastery Invitational

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Holbrook
United States
Crofton
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Heroes Discipline Results

Heroes Mastery Invitational - 1st: Cfudge
Heroes Mastery Invitational - 2nd: Arcesius

Heroes Mastery Open Tournament - 1st: Chazzmo
Heroes Mastery Open Tournament - 2nd: Wheels

Promos & Heroes Crossover - 2nd: CbusRipper
Promos & Heroes Crossover - 3rd: ColinMacLeod
Promos & Heroes Crossover - 4th: Zwivix
Promos & Heroes Crossover - 5th: Arcesius, StormDragon
Promos & Heroes Crossover - 7th: AJEddy, Chazzmo
Promos & Heroes Crossover - 9th: Dusto, Klemp, Ominous
Promos & Heroes Crossover - 13th: Cfudge, SarahT, Wheels

Gambits & Heroes Crossover - 1st: Klemp
Gambits & Heroes Crossover - 2nd: Zwivix
Gambits & Heroes Crossover - 3rd: codger
Gambits & Heroes Crossover - 4th: CrankyDay
Gambits & Heroes Crossover - 5th: Arcesius, ColinMacLeod
Gambits & Heroes Crossover - 7th: AJEddy, Ominous
Gambits & Heroes Crossover - 9th: Cfudge, StormDragon
Gambits & Heroes Crossover - 13th: CbusRipper, Chazzmo, dommola

Events & Heroes Crossover - 1st: Arcesius
Events & Heroes Crossover - 3rd: AJEddy
Events & Heroes Crossover - 4th: Klemp
Events & Heroes Crossover - 5th: Wheels
Events & Heroes Crossover - 7th: CrankyDay
Events & Heroes Crossover - 9th: ColinMacLeod, StormDragon, dommola
Events & Heroes Crossover - 13th: Dusto, neocow

Bases & Heroes Crossover - 1st: DarthChronos
Bases & Heroes Crossover - 2nd: dommola
Bases & Heroes Crossover - 3rd: Cfudge
Bases & Heroes Crossover - 7th: StormDragon, Arcesius
Bases & Heroes Crossover - 9th: AngryPanda, Wheels, Dusto
Bases & Heroes Crossover - 13th: WestDaddyUtd

Heroes & Fleets Crossover - 1st: Cfudge
Heroes & Fleets Crossover - 2nd: Chazzmo
Heroes & Fleets Crossover - 4th: Arcesius
Heroes & Fleets Crossover - 5th: ColinMacLeod, WestDaddyUtd
Heroes & Fleets Crossover - 7th: Wheels
Heroes & Fleets Crossover - 9th: Klemp, SarahT, Zwivix
Heroes & Fleets Crossover - 13th: Oreok, StormDragon, neocow

Starter Tournament - 1st: dommola
Starter Tournament - 2nd: Klemp
Starter Tournament - 3rd: AngryPanda
Starter Tournament - 4th: Chazzmo
Starter Tournament - 5th: StormDragon and WestDaddyUtd
Starter Tournament - 7th: CbusRipper and Dusto

Qualifier - Group A: Klemp wins, WestDaddyUtd qualifies.
Qualifier - Group B: Oreok wins, Messire qualifies.
Qualifier - Group C: AngryPanda and ColinMacLeod tie.
Qualifier - Group D: dommola wins, DarthChronos qualifies.
Qualifier - Group E: Chazzmo and Ominous tie.
Qualifier - Group F: CrankyDay wins, SarahT qualifies.
Qualifier - Group G: Arcesius wins, AJEddy qualifies.
Qualifier - Group H: Zwivix wins, Cfudge qualifies.
Qualifier - Group I: StormDragon and Wheels tie.
Qualifier - Group J: Dusto wins, neocow qualifies.
Qualifier - Group K: CbusRipper wins, codger qualifies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Holbrook
United States
Crofton
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Starter tournament has begun.

As a reminder, Masters Series double-eliminations are best-of-three in the winners bracket, but single-games in the losers bracket. The grand final is a single match, but is a lop-sided best-of-five (winners bracket winner starts with a 1-0 advantage).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl P (Chazzmo)
United States
Garnet Valley
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, I didn't say anything the first time, but now I have a Legit bone to pick here with this bracket.

How do me and Ominous, who tied to win our group at 3-1 (Chazzmo won tiebreaker), end up in the first round, while people who ended up second in their group at 2-2 (AJEddy, WestDaddy) get byes to the second round? Just to rub it in, the winner of my game actually gets to play 2-2 WestDaddy with the bye.

What's going on here?

Chazzmo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Holbrook
United States
Crofton
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The reward for the Qualification Tournament is qualification into the remaining discipline activities; that is, the starter tournament, five crossover tournaments, and the discipline mastery open tournament. In addition, group winners earned 2 trophy points, or 1 each in the case of a tie for the group win.

Seeding for the Starter Tournament which is a separate event for the Masters Series, despite utilizing the same Challonge event page, is entirely random. Everyone had an equal chance to draw the bye, regardless of how many trophy points they earned in the Qualification Tournament. (Round Robin Groups in Challonge are only possible as the Group Stage of tournament that includes a Final Stage, which is the primary reason the Starter Tournament exists at all, and definitely the reason why it shares the same Challonge page as Qualification.)

There will be a slight imbalance in every single one of the Crossover Tournaments as well; some players will get first round byes, and some will not. As with the Starter Tournament, these imbalances directly affect a player's inherent chance at winning or earning Trophy Points in that tournament. This is definitely not lost on me. In fact, I realize that being in certain second round pairings is more advantageous than others, due to the loser skipping Losers Round 1, and thus certain first round pairings are slightly better than others due to feeding into one of those second round pairings...

It is because of all this, that I will be tracking who received or did not receive byes, and will be scheduling byes in the crossover tournaments (once all qualifiers are known) in order to balance out the advantages or disadvantages each member of the discipline receives over the course of the regular season tournaments.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl P (Chazzmo)
United States
Garnet Valley
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CrankyDay wrote:
It is because of all this, that I will be tracking who received or did not receive byes, and will be scheduling byes in the crossover tournaments (once all qualifiers are known) in order to balance out the advantages or disadvantages each member of the discipline receives over the course of the regular season tournaments.

This makes sense and I'm glad you're keeping track so that it evens out in the long run. Thanks for the explanation.

Chazzmo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Edmunds
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CrankyDay wrote:
The reward for the Qualification Tournament is qualification into the remaining discipline activities; that is, the starter tournament, five crossover tournaments, and the discipline mastery open tournament. In addition, group winners earned 2 trophy points, or 1 each in the case of a tie for the group win.

Seeding for the Starter Tournament which is a separate event for the Masters Series, despite utilizing the same Challonge event page, is entirely random. Everyone had an equal chance to draw the bye, regardless of how many trophy points they earned in the Qualification Tournament. (Round Robin Groups in Challonge are only possible as the Group Stage of tournament that includes a Final Stage, which is the primary reason the Starter Tournament exists at all, and definitely the reason why it shares the same Challonge page as Qualification.)

There will be a slight imbalance in every single one of the Crossover Tournaments as well; some players will get first round byes, and some will not. As with the Starter Tournament, these imbalances directly affect a player's inherent chance at winning or earning Trophy Points in that tournament. This is definitely not lost on me. In fact, I realize that being in certain second round pairings is more advantageous than others, due to the loser skipping Losers Round 1, and thus certain first round pairings are slightly better than others due to feeding into one of those second round pairings...

There might be a way to mitigate the bye effect in the cross-overs...

There are 35 players qualified for BP crossover, as an example. I suspect similar numbers for all the cross-overs, given it seems to be largely the same group playing each Qualifier. The ideal number for a DE tourney that sees 0 byes is 32. So, what I propose is:

- when less than 32, offer as wildcards the spots short of 32 to the 2 Disciplines for this crossover only. There would have to be some fair ranking to see who gets these wildcards, but that is not difficult.

- when more than 32, play a Round 0 to get the group down to 32 for Round 1. For example, in the case of BP there are 35 players. Have round 0 between seeds 29-35 to take the 3 spots 30, 31 and 32. Rank all 35 qualifiers based on some fair system (double qualifiers, trophy points, overall wins in the 2 disciplines, and so on.)

With the numbers we are seeing, tweaking the qualifying numbers so the group playing in the crossover is 32 exactly - in order to mitigate the terrible bye effect - might be worth considering.

Admittedly I have no clue whether this could work with the existing system, it is just something I thought of just now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Holbrook
United States
Crofton
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The whole purpose of a double-elimination tournament is the second chance. Players should not be denied that second chance just to have a correctly sized bracket.

Any attempt at seeding would likely produce a very similar list of round 0 competitors each tournament. So instead of spreading the disadvantage around to all discipline members, it falls to a small subset of players. And that disadvantage has now been amplified from the possibility of moving to the losers bracket early to the possibility of not being allowed to participate in the losers bracket at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Edmunds
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CrankyDay wrote:
The whole purpose of a double-elimination tournament is the second chance. Players should not be denied that second chance just to have a correctly sized bracket.

Any attempt at seeding would likely produce a very similar list of round 0 competitors each tournament. So instead of spreading the disadvantage around to all discipline members, it falls to a small subset of players. And that disadvantage has now been amplified from the possibility of moving to the losers bracket early to the possibility of not being allowed to participate in the losers bracket at all.

That makes sense. As I mentioned, I didn't think it all out just did a quick brain dump so you could figure if there might be something there or not. I agree that it would likely be the same players getting the advantage/disadvantage, and that no good.

What about when less than 32? Would you consider wild cards to make up 32? Funzies for more people.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Holbrook
United States
Crofton
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd considered opening up the Crossover tournaments to extra players when I was first developing everything, but I am worried that adding extra players could throw-off the integrity of the competition. Discipline members should not advance or be eliminated on the basis of matches against a player that has no skin in the game.

The series is supposed to be designed such that discipline participants constantly have something to play for; there is never a reason for a player not to try their hardest to win a match.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Newport
msg tools
badge
Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power. Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The force shall free me.
mbmbmbmbmb
I sent two challenges to Messire yesterday and they have both gone unanswered so far.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl P (Chazzmo)
United States
Garnet Valley
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice win AngryPanda and a nice 3 games really. I think I knew it was over when I bottom-decked that command ship, and then when it bottom decked again, that was the Panda just taunting me. Only got to play it that one time. Nice work knowing how to beat it, of course.

At least I've got a scouting report now for when we face each other in the Finals.

Chazzmo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pan da
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chopsueycop wrote:
Nice win AngryPanda and a nice 3 games really. I think I knew it was over when I bottom-decked that command ship

Good games. That was the turning point in #3 I thought as well.

chopsueycop wrote:
At least I've got a scouting report now for when we face each other in the Finals.

Uh oh soblueninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Holbrook
United States
Crofton
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

While the Heroes Starter Tournament is ahead of the two earlier starting ones, I still thought I'd take the time to lay out where we are at. There are currently two active matches in the losers bracket, and a few games awaiting those results.

Losers Quarters - Messire vs. CbusRipper
Losers pre-Semis - StormDragon vs. winner of above
Losers Semis - Klemp vs. winner of above

Losers pre-Semis - WestDaddyUtd vs. Dusto
Losers Semis - Chazzmo vs. winner of above

The winners of those two lines will face off in the Losers pre-Finals; the winner of that will face AngryPanda in the Losers Finals. And then Dommola will face the winner of that in the Grand Finals.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Holbrook
United States
Crofton
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
With the Klemp line wrapped up, we are down to just a single series of matches on the road to Starter Tournament victory:

Losers pre-Semis - WestDaddyUtd vs. Dusto
Losers Semis - Chazzmo vs. winner of above
Losers pre-Finals - Klemp vs. winner of above
Losers Finals - AngryPanda vs. winner of above
Grand Finals - dommola vs. winner of above
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Holbrook
United States
Crofton
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It looks like we are down to the Grand Finals.

As a reminder, this is a lop-sided best of five. the winners bracket winner (dommola) starts with a 1-game lead, and needs only two more wins, while the losers bracket winner (Klemp) needs three wins.

I've put a 1-0 into challonge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Holbrook
United States
Crofton
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dommola managed to dominate the entire way through the winners bracket, and easily stopped Klemp in the grand final, securing his spot in the Heroes discipline Mastery Invitational at the end of the season. Congrats Ola!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Edmunds
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Heroes Leaderboard updated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Holbrook
United States
Crofton
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Heroes & Fleets crossover is live.

There are 11 players representing only the Fleets discipline, show them why Heroes is the best! There are also 11 dual-discipline players who's dominance must be stopped!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl P (Chazzmo)
United States
Garnet Valley
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great games, Klemp! That last one was a wild ride. Obviously could have gone either way.

Chazzmo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Edmunds
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If anybody is looking for AJEddy, he will be over in the corner licking his wounds and crying over the most brutal of bad luck he got in his match against Klemp.

Great games Klemp. Fun series. Drawing my last 5 starters and leaving you at 1 in game 3 will haunt me for no less than the next 5 minutes.

Next...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Unspecified
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SarahT, that last game was intense. Well played!

Matt/Ominous

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Edmunds
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
@dommola have we played our Bases-Heroes match yet?

My complete history is wiped in the app and I can't remember if we played this one or not. If we have, the result is not up on Challonge.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Holbrook
United States
Crofton
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Heroes & Fleets Crossover has come to a close.

Cfudge emerges victorious, and Chazzmo also earns a seat in the Heroes Mastery Invitational tournament for his 2nd place finish.

Five discipline members still compete in the Bases & Heroes Crossover, with Cfudge already securing another top-3 finish, and DarthChronos has won the winners bracket final. Arcesius, Dusto, and dommola are also still in it.

It's still very early in the Events & Heroes Crossover, but Arcesius and dommola have already secured at lease 1 trophy point each.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.