Rattus: Pied Piper» Forums » Rules

Subject: Some questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only played the game a few times now and I absolutely love it. But I do have a few questions. I looked around for a FAQ but couldn't fine one, so here we are.

1) When using the King to move a cube protected by a Wizard's potion to the palace, is the potion discarded? I presume so but it's not clear.

2) After the final round all rat tokens are revealed and applied one by one. Who determines the order in which the tokens are revealed in a game where one or more players had the Witch?

3) The Courier's card's symbolism seem to suggest the exchange must be between neighbouring regions (just like the Merchant and Monk cards' symbolism) but the rules make no mention of this. I presume the regions do not need to be adjacent?

4) Can I use the Monk's and Pied Piper's abilities during Phase 3 after any new rat tokens are placed but before any tokens are revealed?

5) When playing with the Baker, why would anyone ever take the card from the player that first took it?
I can see the card can be a quite interesting alternative to the Farmer IF players regularly stole it from one another, but I just don't see why anyone WOULD steal it.
What am I missing here?
(It would definitely be interesting if during the final round the character allowed you to place all cubes on it in a region of your choice, as this WOULD stimulate stealing. Perhaps an interesting houserule to try out?)

6) The Bishop protects a region from new rat tokens being added to it for whatever reason, but does not remove any tokens that were already present, correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L. Scott Johnson
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DreamStorm wrote:
I've only played the game a few times now and I absolutely love it. But I do have a few questions. I looked around for a FAQ but couldn't fine one, so here we are.

1) When using the King to move a cube protected by a Wizard's potion to the palace, is the potion discarded? I presume so but it's not clear.

Sure. It doesn't matter either way, so go ahead and discard it.

Quote:
2) After the final round all rat tokens are revealed and applied one by one. Who determines the order in which the tokens are revealed in a game where one or more players had the Witch?

The Witch's ability is used on that player's last turn, before beginning the pass through all the regions.

Quote:
3) The Courier's card's symbolism seem to suggest the exchange must be between neighbouring regions (just like the Merchant and Monk cards' symbolism) but the rules make no mention of this. I presume the regions do not need to be adjacent?

Correct. "swap any two cubes on the board"

Quote:
4) Can I use the Monk's and Pied Piper's abilities during Phase 3 after any new rat tokens are placed but before any tokens are revealed?

No. Abilities may be used "only before phase C (exceptions: Soldier, Crusader, and Serf)" (Pied Piper rulebook).

Quote:
5) When playing with the Baker, why would anyone ever take the card from the player that first took it?
I can see the card can be a quite interesting alternative to the Farmer IF players regularly stole it from one another, but I just don't see why anyone WOULD steal it.
What am I missing here?
(It would definitely be interesting if during the final round the character allowed you to place all cubes on it in a region of your choice, as this WOULD stimulate stealing. Perhaps an interesting houserule to try out?)

To get the ability of the Baker. The player holding the baker accumulates an extra cube each turn, much like the peasant. This is good for winning the game.

Quote:
6) The Bishop protects a region from new rat tokens being added to it for whatever reason, but does not remove any tokens that were already present, correct?

Correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L. Scott Johnson
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rulemonger wrote:
DreamStorm wrote:
What am I missing here?

To get the ability of the Baker. The player holding the baker accumulates an extra cube each turn, much like the peasant. This is good for winning the game.

And note that all the cubes on the Baker are placed on the board at game end:

After the final round, and before the plague ravages all the 12 regions, if the Baker card is in play the player to the left of the player currently holding the Baker card places all the cubes on the card in a region of his choice on the board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Mack
United States
Santa Fe Springs
California
flag msg tools
designer
Lefty / Happily Married / Parent of 2 Girls / Christian / OCBG Member
badge
Smack dat Ghoulie, Mr. Trolla!
mbmbmbmbmb
Rulemonger wrote:
DreamStorm wrote:

The Witch's ability is used on that player's last turn, before beginning the pass through all the regions.

The way I'm reading this, it wasn't a question of "when?" but rather "who?" This is up to the players, and I'm not sure it really has anything to do with the Pied Piper expansion, per se.
I usually play: whoever has the Witch at the end. If the Witch isn't in play (although this wasn't asked) we usually go with the player who took the last regular turn or a collaborative curiosity-driven approach.

Regarding the Baker, I just wanted to add to Rulemonger's remarks... In my experience, use of the Baker increases the chance that the game will end by 1 player getting all 20 of their cubes in play. Otherwise, in most games (not counting non-confrontational play/ers) it seems to end due to the placement of all the rats.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rulemonger wrote:

Quote:

Correct. "swap any two cubes on the board"

Does that include the palace?

Quote:
Quote:

No. Abilities may be used "only before phase C (exceptions: Soldier, Crusader, and Serf)" (Pied Piper rulebook).

The main rule book makes no mention of not being able to use your abilities during step 3. The Monk's rules even clearly states it can be at any time during your turn. I did now notice the Pied Piper (expansion) rule on the new characters' limitation of step 3 but as far as I can tell this does not work retroactively on the characters from the base game.
So the Pied Piper (character) can clearly not use their ability during step 3 but according to the base game the Monk definitely can.

Quote:
Quote:
What am I missing here?

Except they don't, since the cube goes on the card. If nobody takes the card the cube stays there and if the game ends those cubes don't count towards your score.
It only helps to end the game faster by draining your supply without actually generating points if your opponents just ignore the card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bandit_boy7 wrote:
whoever has the Witch at the end

That seems like a good rule. I'll use that, thanks.

Quote:
Regarding the Baker, I just wanted to add to Rulemonger's remarks... In my experience, use of the Baker increases the chance that the game will end by 1 player getting all 20 of their cubes in play. Otherwise, in most games (not counting non-confrontational play/ers) it seems to end due to the placement of all the rats.

Still, no reason to ever steal the Baker unless the cubes on his card count as points at the end of the game or some sort of forced placement is triggered by the last round. Taking the Baker first is just a terrible move if playing with intelligent players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Winter
United Kingdom
Hawarden
Deeside
flag msg tools
badge
Someone gave me 88gg for a rules translation and all I got was this lousy overtext
mbmbmbmbmb
DreamStorm wrote:

Still, no reason to ever steal the Baker unless the cubes on his card count as points at the end of the game or some sort of forced placement is triggered by the last round. Taking the Baker first is just a terrible move if playing with intelligent players.

There is a forced placement of all cubes on the baker at game's end...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.