Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Vash TheStampede
Saudi Arabia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
In the rule book
"And speaking of heroes dying, whenever a hero dies, one (in-play) opposing hero levels up twice for free. The active player chooses which hero if there are multiple opposing heroes, and they can only choose a hero that actually can level up at least once."

This was mentioned in the 3 hero vs 3 hero section.

Does this mean this rule is not applicable to 1 hero vs 1 hero mode?

Also, in 3-5 player free for all,
I am player1 and kill a hero belonging to player2
I dont have a hero that can level up, am I forced to choose to level up the hero belonging to player3 ?

Finally, if my hero reached max level during another player's turn and my hero had a "Max Level:" ability, when do I resolve that ability?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Reid
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MVashM wrote:
In the rule book
"And speaking of heroes dying, whenever a hero dies, one (in-play) opposing hero levels up twice for free. The active player chooses which hero if there are multiple opposing heroes, and they can only choose a hero that actually can level up at least once."

No, I don't have the rulebook in front of me but my experience is that it's definitely applicable.

Quote:
Also, in 3-5 player free for all,
I am player1 and kill a hero belonging to player2
I dont have a hero that can level up, am I forced to choose to level up the hero belonging to player3 ?

That sounds right.

Quote:
Finally, if my hero reached max level during another player's turn and my hero had a "Max Level:" ability, when do I resolve that ability?

If the ability involves any choice whatsoever, it fizzles because opponents are never allowed to make choices on your turn and you don't get to make them for them (e.g. Geiger's maxband). There are very few rules with 100% no exceptions in Codex, but this is one of them. The game is completely asynchronous by design.

However, if the ability doesn't involve a choice, it would execute (e.g. Vir's maxband).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vash TheStampede
Saudi Arabia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Hmmmm
Do we have a consensus?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Graham
United States
College Station
Texas
flag msg tools
I am Broccoli, most intelligent vegetable!
badge
I will destroy you all!
mbmbmbmbmb
MVashM wrote:
Hmmmm
Do we have a consensus?

While I first doubted his conclusion as well, on page 18 of the rulebook, it specifically says
"In the unusual event that an effect specifically asks an opponent to make a decision on your turn, instead nothing happens."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Zigmond
United Kingdom
Durham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MVashM wrote:
In the rule book

It's still true in 1-hero vs 1-hero mode - in fact, to quote from page 3 of the rulebook, "Also, if an opposing hero dies your hero levels up twice for free if it's in play!". (Bold in the original.)

The only difference is that, if you can have up to 3 heroes in play, it's not so clear what is meant by "your hero". The full rules, which you quoted, tell you that it can be any of your heroes (of your choice if you kill an opposing hero on your turn, but of their choice if they suicide one of their own heroes).

In other words, the rule you quote is in the 3-hero-vs-3-hero section just to highlight how the basic rule - which you already learnt in the 1-hero-vs-1-hero mode - is to be interpreted in this larger context.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vash TheStampede
Saudi Arabia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
It is starting to make sense to me but still very weird.

So if someone's "max level:" required a choice, there might be some scenarios where getting my own hero killed during my turn is a valid strategy to avoid their heros max ability
(Garth, Vandy, Max Geiger) <- lose their maxband ability.

Not sure if Onimarus maxband would resolve or not
http://codexcarddb.com/card/general_onimaru
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian K
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought for some reason that it only happens if you kill the opponent's hero on your own turn :s but according to the rules quotes here that seems to be completely wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Reid
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MVashM wrote:
It is starting to make sense to me but still very weird.

So if someone's "max level:" required a choice, there might be some scenarios where getting my own hero killed during my turn is a valid strategy to avoid their heros max ability
(Garth, Vandy, Max Geiger) <- lose their maxband ability.

Yep, definitely the case sometimes.

Quote:

Not sure if Onimarus maxband would resolve or not
http://codexcarddb.com/card/general_onimaru

It would. The soldiers would end up summoned but obviously not in patrol since patrol assignments take place on your opponent's turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Reid
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Muemmelmann wrote:
I thought for some reason that it only happens if you kill the opponent's hero on your own turn :s but according to the rules quotes here that seems to be completely wrong.

I believe that was once the case during playtesting, but Zane was too suicide-able under that ruleset AFAIK, so it was changed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T.J.
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Muemmelmann wrote:

It's also how they play in some of the video demonstrations of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.