GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!

8,551 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
19 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
12 Posts

A Feast for Odin» Forums » Rules

Subject: Card 98A - Nobleman rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Miguel Ferreira
Portugal
Viseu
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Last night this one come up for a friend, and we could not see how this could be usefull. Situational at best, not even with a great gain (2 silver for a silk), and worst of all we tried to figure out where to get grain, only to find out there is not one single place to get it either on actions or on bonus on the boards.

Should i remove this from the deck? Thoughts? Did i missed something?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicolas Shayko
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First off, this card is worth two points. Any card worth 2+ pts is one I am happy to draw. If I had this card, I would avoid eating the free grain I get through the harvest in order to use the power 4 times which is essentially giving you 8 free covering spots, since silk is 4 spaces as opposed to the two coins you pay.

So if I draw this one early, I don't eat my grain and think of it as a future 10 point card. If I draw it late, hey it is 2 points.

Of course if you could get more grain through an occupation, it would be better, but that is probably overkill.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel Ferreira
Portugal
Viseu
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good point i missed the 2 points on the card itself. Correct me if i'm wrong, but you onlye get 1 grain the whole game, when harvest marked "2" comes up on second turn?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicolas Shayko
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The grain has a 2 on it, so you get it on the 2nd, 3rd and 4th harvest. I did say in error that you would get it 4 times, that actually is 3 since you don't get it that 1st harvest.

I do think you are misunderstanding what you do get on a harvest.

Harvest 1: Gain all goods with 1 on them
Harvest 2: Gain all goods with 1 and 2 on them
Harvest 3: Gain all goods with 1, 2 and 3 on them
Harvest 4: Gain all goods with 1,2,3 and 4 on them
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Lieffring
United States
Athens
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Ydernola wrote:
Good point i missed the 2 points on the card itself. Correct me if i'm wrong, but you onlye get 1 grain the whole game, when harvest marked "2" comes up on second turn?

That harvest isn't marked 2, it's 1-2: you get all the crops marked 1 and 2. The next harvest is marked 1-3: you get all crops marked 1, 2, and 3. The final harvest (in a long game) is marked 1-4, you get all goods marked 1, 2, 3, and 4. So you get them during that harvest and every harvest thereafter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel Ferreira
Portugal
Viseu
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cheers all, i misread it and thought it was only the goods depicted on the board duh!

Anyway, it's interesting that the item is not available anywhere else...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ydernola wrote:
Cheers all, i misread it and thought it was only the goods depicted on the board duh!

Anyway, it's interesting that the item is not available anywhere else...

Funny enough, I got that card yesterday and was desperately searching the action board for where to get grain.

A quick search in the appendix showed, that there are a couple of cards you can get grain with, so these would work tremendously good together. But it would require some luck to get those paired.
(49C, 93C, 124B, 169C, 171C, 183C)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cindy en Stoj
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You also need to mix decks for that (since Nobleman is in A deck).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Franz Derphausen
Germany
Düsseldorf
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
niczone wrote:
First off, this card is worth two points. Any card worth 2+ pts is one I am happy to draw. If I had this card, I would avoid eating the free grain I get through the harvest in order to use the power 4 times which is essentially giving you 8 free covering spots, since silk is 4 spaces as opposed to the two coins you pay.

98A gets an additional boost from 171A.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric P

California
msg tools
I came across this card for the first time recently. I was wondering on the timing of it. Can you "place" the grain before Income phase to use it to cover and get more income? Or at the same time? I was wondering since the only time you "place" tiles is in Income and Bonus phase. We played it as placing as same time as Income phase, so it counts for getting income.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Northern Polarity
msg tools
m1a1dat wrote:
I came across this card for the first time recently. I was wondering on the timing of it. Can you "place" the grain before Income phase to use it to cover and get more income? Or at the same time? I was wondering since the only time you "place" tiles is in Income and Bonus phase. We played it as placing as same time as Income phase, so it counts for getting income.

I'm a bit confused about your question: it's impossible to get income from placing grain since grain can only be placed in stone/long houses, which do not have any income tracks. Remember that this only allows you to place grain in houses, which does not include your home board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Arezina
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
m1a1dat wrote:

I'm also confused by this question, because you can place tiles on boards pretty much any time you want. As long as you're okay with them never coming off, you can take a harvest and throw it right into your houses.

There are usually two calls to finalize placement before the income phase and before the bonus phase, because those are usually the only two times when placement matters.

So, yes, you can place grain, spend silver, get silk, and place silk to cover additional income for an income bonus, all before the income phase.

However! If you need the income from the income phase in order to buy the silk, you cannot place the silk during the income phase to get even more income. You get all your income at once and then the income phase is over and you can't get more. Similarly to the bonus phase - you get all your bonuses at once and then the bonus phase is over and you can't get more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.