10 Posts

Blood Rage» Forums » Rules

Subject: Justice in anonymity or how to «choose» card in battle? ? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
A A
msg tools
Rules say:
«Each player participating in the battle must choose one card from their hand and hold it face down in front of them (unless they have no cards left in their hand; in that case they don’t have to put a card in). Then they all reveal their chosen card simultaneously.»

But different age card have different drawing on the back side. So when player choose card, and «hold it face down in front of them» enemy see to which age belongs his card. In some point this the same as to put you card «face UP in front of them».

So how was this intended? I thought from the beginning that the age numbers on cards was big spoiler to your enemy in battle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
.308 Jake
Canada
Hamilton
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You still don't know if it's a battle card or not. The age doesn't matter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Schuster
Germany
Bretten
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It does, because you can only take 1 card to the next age.

Often a card such as Lokis Trickery is taken over. You'll either recognize this card at once or in the second battle of that player at the latest.

So it is indeed a spoiler to put the card on the table. We often helped ourselves by either putting a hand on the chosen card or keep it below the table until all involved players picked their cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
arry -
msg tools
Umbratus wrote:
So it is indeed a spoiler to put the card on the table. We often helped ourselves by either putting a hand on the chosen card or keep it below the table until all involved players picked their cards.

That's what we're doing here too, and I believe there has been an official word that, indeed, during the battle players shouldn't know what age your card is from, which is the only exception from the general rule that players can inspect your card backs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Smith
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah we just covered the cards with are hands so people didnt know what age card we where playing to keep the others guessing a little
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Durst
United States
Birmingham
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm actually of a different thought on this. I kind of think it makes some sense that you can see the Age of the cards being selected. I believe that the downside of taking a previous Age card forward is that everybody will know it is from a previous Age. So I'm good with having the backs be seen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iain Brown
England
Guildford
Surrey
flag msg tools
No, I'M Spartacus
badge
\m/
mbmbmbmbmb
I find it slows the game down if people can see the card back as you then have to let people change their minds multiple times as they see what ages their opponent(s) are playing.

You know I'm playing my age 1 Loki card so you change your card. I know that you know I've played my Loki card and have changed so I change to an age 2 card. You now know I'm not playing my Loki card and switch to a different card, and so on and so forth.

Blinding the backs mean you only have to make one choice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matheus Affonso
Brazil
Porto Alegre
RS
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
More than once have I kept strong battle cards from age I to age II to surprise people in a decisive battle. Like you said, people will often expect something like Loki's Trickery, so a Heimdal's Sight or a Tyr's Smite that wasn't seen during age I can most often win you a fight.

That being said, Thiago Aranha has already clarified here on the forums that you may, indeed, cover the back of the card with your hand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Holman
Sweden
flag msg tools
In my group we always display the back of the card. We find it's part of the game and when you know that someone has a Loki card from a previous age you can counter it to get them off their edge. And if you're smooth about it then you don't get the back and forth that Iain Brown was talking about, which I've never experienced actually

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A A
msg tools
Well, change your card when you already pick some – is moveton.
But more common situation when player forced to delay picking card, waiting other to do it first. And it goes in a circles…

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.