Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Peter Andersson
Sweden
BANDHAGEN
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just saw the new book "The Investigators of Arkham Horror" on the FFG website. The book, three promo cards and a playmat for $60 sounded nice. But the shipping, $60 for shipping? That's just too steep!
Is anyone pre-ordering this book?

Here's the info on the FFG site for anyone who's interested:

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2016/11/1/the-inv...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Wonner
France
flag msg tools
Shipping outside US is overpriced.
Same problem here : 58$ for France.

The promo cards are just pre-release, and are not exclusive, so not so interesting.
The playmat is fine, but eh, the shipping cost are too high.

I'll wait the "normal" version, without goodies, for 40$.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CastorJo wrote:
Shipping outside US is overpriced.

Actually, shipping INSIDE the US is overpriced as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathon Neff
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm used to $10 shipping in the US at this point. Which is annoying, but the collectors have to suffer I guess.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's $13.75 to here, a friend of mine on the west coast said it was $16 to his address. $10 would be a significant improvement, I'd probably consider $8 to be "normal" shipping.

Basically, I'm more than willing to pay $20 extra for the playmat & stuff. Asking me to pay $40 extra compared to buying the regular book online later feels painful though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Andersson
Sweden
BANDHAGEN
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed!
I have no problems paying extra for the extra stuff. But to pay an additional 100% for shipping is not ok.
Which is too bad, because I'd really like to place that order.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rosen Crantz
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mb
Shipping options to the US below. YIKES!

U.S.P.S. Priority
1 - 3 Business Days
$20.00

UPS Ground
1 - 5 Business Days
$13.75

UPS 3-Day Select
3 Business Days
$19.80

EDIT: formatting was weird, so I fixed it. Should be easier to read now. Sorry about that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bradford Lounsberry
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Way too expensive to pre-order with the shipping cost.

Having Marie early is neat, but we are getting 5 more investigators in Dunwich at the end of December anyway. It isn't like we'll be starving for investigators.

Art prints are just not my thing.

The playmat would be nice to get since it is exclusive to this pre-order. I'd love to have it.

The book itself is beautiful. I will get it eventually.

All that said, part of me wants to waste the money anyway. We'll see if my willpower holds out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Answer back from FFG on whether the Marie will be alt-art:

"The promo cards will be exactly the same as the full release version, save for the fact that they are POD quality."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathon Neff
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The only thing that has me excited about Marie is that if they only release investigators in the deluxe expansions, it could be at least 8 expansions away before we see her.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Soylent Green
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Stop hovering over me!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
rican919 wrote:

U.S.P.S. Priority
1 - 3 Business Days
$20.00

UPS Ground
1 - 5 Business Days
$13.75

UPS 3-Day Select
3 Business Days
$19.80

EDIT: formatting was weird, so I fixed it. Should be easier to read now. Sorry about that.

Odd - mine was less in the US by a bit. I'm paying 10 for UPS Ground... USPS was $13...

But - I'm in MN - so distance is the thing I assume.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
I want to get this but FFG's overpriced shipping is killing my motivation. Plus the fact that the AH LCG cards included aren't alt-art versions and they're POD (which means they won't match the regular print run), I may have to pass and just wait for the standard edition to come out. Darn, I wanted that playmat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xuzu Horror
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
ralsar wrote:

Having Marie early is neat, but we are getting 5 more investigators in Dunwich at the end of December anyway. It isn't like we'll be starving for investigators.

Doma0997 wrote:
The only thing that has me excited about Marie is that if they only release investigators in the deluxe expansions, it could be at least 8 expansions away before we see her.

Yeah, and I'm not too in love with Jim Culver - yes, he has 4/3/3/2 stats, which are nice and balanced, but his ability is more bland. (not saying it's bad, just not as fun for me as compared to Agnes)

I'd want to see if Marie has something more interesting. All I can make out in the image is that her Will is 4 (though who knows if that's final).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
YM C
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rican919 wrote:

U.S.P.S. Priority
1 - 3 Business Days
$20.00

UPS Ground
1 - 5 Business Days
$13.75

UPS 3-Day Select
3 Business Days
$19.80

Shipping issues even within US, not to mention other continents... YIKES!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I bit the bullet, anything for the all mighty azathoth. But damn that ground shipping is 15 dollars to California.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Williams
United States
Oceanside
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
iLLumines wrote:
I bit the bullet, anything for the all mighty azathoth. But damn that ground shipping is 15 dollars to California.

Too rich for my blood.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The price isn't bad TBH, world of android books go for 30 usually playmat goes for 20-25 a piece.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Andersson
Sweden
BANDHAGEN
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
iLLumines wrote:
The price isn't bad TBH, world of android books go for 30 usually playmat goes for 20-25 a piece.

You've got a point. If you only consider us shipping.
Do we have any information on the play mat? How big is it? What's it made of? If it's neoprene it might be worth the extra cash.
But from the image it looked pretty small and cardboard.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Knowing ffg their standard playmat is usually 14x24, which I assume it will be, the image is not to scale on the display. Material is def neoprene, I have a couple of playmat from them and they are high quality. I would be really iffy on that shipping price though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel McNaughton
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd be very surprised if it wasn't the standard FFG neoprene, like the Android book one was. The shape is a little different though.

Lets see...

Oh that one makes the android one look just as squarish, it's the standard shape in real life.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rosen Crantz
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mb
SoylentRed wrote:
rican919 wrote:

U.S.P.S. Priority
1 - 3 Business Days
$20.00

UPS Ground
1 - 5 Business Days
$13.75

UPS 3-Day Select
3 Business Days
$19.80

Odd - mine was less in the US by a bit. I'm paying 10 for UPS Ground... USPS was $13...

But - I'm in MN - so distance is the thing I assume.

Yeah. I live in Atlanta, GA. You'd think living in a hub city would be cheaper to ship a book... I can't imagine the preorder items weigh that much. Unless the enticement is to get you to buy other things and combine shipping?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xuzu Horror
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The book is 264 colored pages so that in itself so it's at least a decent weight. The playmat ends up making the box larger - so I can see why it doesn't ship cheaply.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
FFG's shipping has always been overpriced. Search any threads about their annual Holiday Sale and you'll see what I mean. Sadly, combining multiple items to make the shipping more reasonable doesn't always work with their online store - it sometimes goes up significantly when you add a second item.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yury M
Russia
Moscow
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

Does anyone see any reviews of the book?
Is it worth its 34$ + 17$ shipping price?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Kløve
Denmark
Hillerød
flag msg tools
The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed
mbmbmbmbmb
yury1975 wrote:
Hi,

Does anyone see any reviews of the book?
Is it worth its 34$ + 17$ shipping price?

I got the book for Christmas, and I like it quite a bit, but it is not essential. The book has short stories for a lot of Arkham Files investigators - the ones I have read have been fine, and they are fun to read, when you know the investigators from the game.

I got the deluxe version with the playmat, which I like, and the art prints, which are really nice. I also got the promo investigator, but that was only for pre-orders, I think.

The book looks gorgeous - the artwork is great.

My
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.