Popular Tags: [View All]
Vahe K
Canada
Laval
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Question

The rules state that you can't colonize planets on the base tile, so does that mean the first planets are just meant for exploration meaning resources only?

When you explore a new planet you have the option to take resources or take the planet token and put near your board for later colonization, so if you have two planet tokens in two different tiles and you decide to colonize one of them, which tile do put your outpost on? Is it a game mechanic thing? Because thematically it doesn't work, and it would let you satisfy the resources from one spot to another spot to your advantage.

Hard to explain in words, but I thought I would give it a shot

Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A K Vikhagen
Sweden
Gothenborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nezrul wrote:

The rules state that you can't colonize planets on the base tile, so does that mean the first planets are just meant for exploration meaning resources only?

Hi, where does it say that? Aren't you thinking about outposts? Outposts can't be placed on the base tile, but as far as I know you can colonize (settle) planets that are on the base tile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vahe K
Canada
Laval
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe i misread, but what about the 2nd question? Any thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A K Vikhagen
Sweden
Gothenborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nezrul wrote:
Maybe i misread, but what about the 2nd question? Any thoughts?

The designer should chime in here - the rules when it comes to outposts leaves a lot to desire.

As far as I can see, the moment you place a disc (that is, right after you choose to settle a planet), that is also when you get to build an outpost, if possible.

In other words, it doesn't matter that you have fulfilled the colonisation. But I'm not sure, and I don't think the rulebook covers it. I could be wrong, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikko Saari
Finland
flag msg tools
http://www.lautapeliopas.fi/ - the best Finnish board game resource!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When you colonize, you may immediately place the outpost (provided you fulfill all the criteria for placing the outpost) when you place the planet token.

It's a bit confusing as the two different things – placing the colony token and fulfilling the colonization requirements – can both be called colonizing the planet, but it's clear from the rules that the outpost is placed – quoting the rules – "in addition to one of his playing figures", ie. when you place the colony token on the board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A K Vikhagen
Sweden
Gothenborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
msaari wrote:
When you colonize, you may immediately place the outpost (provided you fulfill all the criteria for placing the outpost) when you place the planet token.

It's a bit confusing as the two different things – placing the colony token and fulfilling the colonization requirements – can both be called colonizing the planet, but it's clear from the rules that the outpost is placed – quoting the rules – "in addition to one of his playing figures", ie. when you place the colony token on the board.

Good to know - how about when you pick up already explored planets? Those can be taken from anywhere as long as someone has explorer it, right? I suppose you cannot place an outpost if you pick one of those explored planets?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A K Vikhagen
Sweden
Gothenborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
msaari wrote:

It's a bit confusing as the two different things – placing the colony token and fulfilling the colonization requirements

It is especially confusing since missions and space stations both require you to "pay up" before you get to place an outpost. Colonization is an exception to this pattern, and because of this I think it deserves a special mention in the rulebook.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ode.
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi tilde72,

you place an outpost at the same time you place your disc, cube or octogon on the board. Just right after that. As an extra action within one of the three actions with space flight. So there is no confusion here. It is an optional extra.

Since it is always the same here (placing a tile in space so you can place an outpost) there is actually no difference in the rules for outposts. You just place it if it is according to the rules.

What you mean is a difference in placing a cube (or octogon) or a disc. That means sometimes pay stuff, sometimes you just place it there. But that has nothing to do with the outposts, so I don't see a nessecity to mention that in the outpost section. And it is explained in detail in the section abozt cubes or discs or octogons...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A K Vikhagen
Sweden
Gothenborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bayerbube wrote:
Hi tilde72,

you place an outpost at the same time you place your disc, cube or octogon on the board. Just right after that. As an extra action within one of the three actions with space flight. So there is no confusion here. It is an optional extra.

Since it is always the same here (placing a tile in space so you can place an outpost) there is actually no difference in the rules for outposts. You just place it if it is according to the rules.

What you mean is a difference in placing a cube (or octogon) or a disc. That means sometimes pay stuff, sometimes you just place it there. But that has nothing to do with the outposts, so I don't see a nessecity to mention that in the outpost section. And it is explained in detail in the section abozt cubes or discs or octogons...

Fair enough - how about when you colonize planets that have already been explored but not settled by the player that explored it? You can pick up those even if your ship is not on it, right? At least that's how I read the following sentence in the rulebook:

Quote:
The player may settle several planets already discovered and turned up (both by other players or himself in an earlier turn) in one turn.

From this I derive that you can pick up already explored planets even if they are on the other side of space. If this is possible, can you also put an outpost if you do this, even if the planet is nowhere near your ship?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ode.
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
tilde72 wrote:

Fair enough - how about when you colonize planets that have already been explored but not settled by the player that explored it? You can pick up those even if your ship is not on it, right? At least that's how I read the following sentence in the rulebook:

Quote:
The player may settle several planets already discovered and turned up (both by other players or himself in an earlier turn) in one turn.

If you explore a planet you can either exploit it for ressources or start settling them (if you succeed or not doesn't matter for this - only in the end for your VPs). Off course you can leave the planet be and fly somewhere else - leaving the explored planet face up on the board.

Later anybody can fly to this planet and end his/her move on it. Now this planet cannot be exploited again. This is only possible when going to a face down planet and explore it for the first time.

And now the planet can be taken the player to start a settlement.

This goes for everything in this game: You need to be there to perform an action. You cannot do anything from a distance.

tilde72 wrote:

From this I derive that you can pick up already explored planets even if they are on the other side of space. If this is possible, can you also put an outpost if you do this, even if the planet is nowhere near your ship?

Yes, you can erect an outpost in the case you start settling on an already face up planet. But you have to be there.

Outposts ara all the time erected as a result of placing one of your tiles (space station octogon, mission cube, settlement disc) in space. Not in the afterwards.

Hope you can enjoy the upcoming plays now! Have fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A K Vikhagen
Sweden
Gothenborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bayerbube wrote:
tilde72 wrote:

Quote:

tilde72 wrote:

Yes, you can erect an outpost in the case you start settling on an already face up planet. But you have to be there.

That makes sense. I can't see how a player then can settle several planets in one turn, but that's perhaps related to what is meant by "in one turn" in the quote from the rulebook above. There was an earlier discussion on the phrase "game turn" that I am thinking about.

I enjoy the game, don't misunderstand me, but I am all for clarity in rulebooks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ode.
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
tilde72 wrote:

Quote:

Ah, damn! Now I am getting what you have the problem with. Actually that is a typo. The sentence should be like this:

The player may settle several planets already discovered and turned up (both by other players or himself in an earlier turn) in later turns.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A K Vikhagen
Sweden
Gothenborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bayerbube wrote:
tilde72 wrote:

Quote:

Ah, damn! Now I am getting what you have the problem with. Actually that is a typo. The sentence should be like this:

The player may settle several planets already discovered and turned up (both by other players or himself in an earlier turn) in later turns.

Thanks! Now that's one for the errata! Nice to have cleared that up!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ode.
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I already noted it. Maybe one day we will need this...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vahe K
Canada
Laval
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok I completely understand now, so basically when you explore a face down planet you have the choice to either take a number of resources equal to the victory points or settle the planet by picking up the token (even if you do not fulfill the needs (oil or money) it is still considered settled meaning you may place an outpost there later on as long as it's in an outer space tile. I get everything!

Thank you everyone!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ode.
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Nezrul,

I think you didn't underdstand, sorry.

Here is the background:

Once you deceided to take a planet tile from the board you immediately replace it with one of your discs. THIS is the moment to deceide if you want/can place an outpost. You CANNOT do this later for this very planet!

Once you take the planet to your mat it is considered, that you started to settle there. A settling can linger on. It takes time. Depending on how hard it is to erect a settlement. Just like in real life. Such things can take a while. Some planets are easier to settle. Some need more effort or a certain level of development (in this case your tech dice). Once you fullfill the requirement of that very planet the settling is considered done. In this case you place the planet tile on the right side of your mat to indicate that. You successfully colonized the planet.

However this very planet you once took from the board can never get an outpost backwards. The only time you can erect this outpost is just in the moment you place your disc on the board, replacing the planet tile with it.

So:
nezrul wrote:
(even if you do not fulfill the needs (oil or money) it is still considered settled meaning you may place an outpost there later on as long as it's in an outer space tile.

No, you cannot do this later. I hope you understand what I am trying to say.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt R
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
It was my life, like all lives, mysterious and irrevocable and sacred. So very close, so very present, so very belonging to me. How wild it was to let it be.
mbmbmbmbmb
bayerbube wrote:

So based on this clarification then, can a player fly to a new planet, reveal it, choose to exploit it, end his turn sitting on it, and then on the very next turn choose to settle it?

I guess there might be times when you want to move somewhere else or you don't like the settlement cost, but otherwise it seems like you may as well exploit every planet you discover.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ode.
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
enzo622 wrote:
bayerbube wrote:

So based on this clarification then, can a player fly to a new planet, reveal it, choose to exploit it, end his turn sitting on it, and then on the very next turn choose to settle it?

I guess there might be times when you want to move somewhere else or you don't like the settlement cost, but otherwise it seems like you may as well exploit every planet you discover.

It takes you two turns. Two supplementary actions. You only have 16 of them... If you like, you can try it! Let us know what you think after trying!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt R
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
It was my life, like all lives, mysterious and irrevocable and sacred. So very close, so very present, so very belonging to me. How wild it was to let it be.
mbmbmbmbmb
bayerbube wrote:
enzo622 wrote:
bayerbube wrote:

It takes you two turns. Two supplementary actions. You only have 16 of them... If you like, you can try it! Let us know what you think after trying!

Yeah, haven't played yet so don't have a feel for how costly. Thanks for the clarification (and the discs you sent me).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.