BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Solo playing board games - single handed rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Benedikt Braet
Belgium
flag msg tools
Hi,

I've Always liked to play board games, but now even more, since both my sons have reached now an age (7) on which they can play along with me. It's great!

However, there are a lot of moments when I am alone so I've searched this and many other sites to find some good board games which are very good at playing solo ; and I found quite a lot of them.

The only thing is: there are many games you can play solo, but many of them are to play multiple handed, and that's a way, I think, I don't prefer to play. It seems like playing extra for someone who isn't there, if you know what I mean.

So, is there anybody who can recommend me some good and solid games, which don't take too much playtime, in which solo play can be played single handed?

Or can you convince me with some big plusses, to play multiple handed anyway?

For the moment, solo, I play mostly Friday, Star Realms, and f.e. Onirim is also on my wish list. With my sons I play mostly 7wonders, Dominion, Machi Koro, King of Tokyo...

Gr
Benedikt
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Most of Uwe Rosenberg's games are good solo games with A Feast for Odin being my current favorite.
After you get your head around it, it plays well under an hour.

Another favorite is Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island where you can play with a single character and supportive chars like the dog and Friday.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Get thee to the 1 Player Guild! Then, brace yourself...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
April W
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FUSE is a 10 minute dice game that plays true solo. Not incredibly deep, obviously, but good for a quick and fun game when you want one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Schoberg
United States
Elkhorn
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
when i get home, i'm so tired
badge
just roll over, please. i'm so tired. just roll over, please. i'm so tired.
mbmbmbmbmb
Mage Knight Board Game is #1.

I see you have Legends of Andor already, and I know you don't like running multiple "hands", but Legends of Andor actually plays great solo. Since all of the information is on the board, it's very easy to play solo (even running all 4 heroes). Might be worth giving a shot, since you already own it.

Onirim (second edition) is good, and I'd recommend also checking out Shadi Torbey's other games-- Sylvion and Castellion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pater Absurdus
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
There's really no wrong way to use a margarita pool
badge
"What is best in Life? To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women."
mbmbmbmbmb
Roads and Boats is incredible and worth many hours of solo gaming entertainment. Its the best.

I would second Mage Knight as well. That is quite the brain burner.

Le Havre was enjoyable but only worth about 10-15 plays. I would recommend getting it but if you are like me you'll sell it after a bit.

Also come play online with me at: http://www.boiteajeux.net and http://www.boardgaming-online.com!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, definitely. Mage Knight is awesome, but it does take long, and it also requires a huge table. It is really awesome, though, and it can also be played with up to 3 (if your boys get older) in cooperative mode (or 4 in competitive mode, which I do not like much, though).

Bye
Thanee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Schoberg
United States
Elkhorn
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
when i get home, i'm so tired
badge
just roll over, please. i'm so tired. just roll over, please. i'm so tired.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanee wrote:
Yes, definitely. Mage Knight is awesome, but it does take long, and it also requires a huge table. It is really awesome, though, and it can also be played with up to 3 (if your boys get older) in cooperative mode (or 4 in competitive mode, which I do not like much, though).

Bye
Thanee

Or 5 players (with an expansion), if you're an insane person who hates yourself.

As far as recommendations, I guess more criteria might be good: what sort of playtime are you looking for? Once you know how to play, I think you could solo a game of Mage Knight in 2-3 hours.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bene77 wrote:
So, is there anybody who can recommend me some good and solid games, which don't take too much playtime, in which solo play can be played single handed?

Or can you convince me with some big plusses, to play multiple handed anyway?

My #1 game, which is The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game, can be played solo (single-handed), but it also can be played solo (two-handed). It only takes a bit of practice to get that done.

The advantage of playing two decks is, that you can - in addition to enjoying the game itself - also get into synergies between two decks (there are some aspects in the game, which build on this), which you won't be able to tap into when just playing with one deck. It is a richer experience, I would say. So, it's well worth giving this at least a try.

The upcoming Arkham Horror: The Card Game is another example, where controlling two characters when playing solo offers more and overall will make the game more interesting.

Both are well worth checking out, BTW. Amazing games!

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe H
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My favourite is Snowdonia, a terrific worker placement game that scales perfectly to one player. There are some really neat mechanisms that require adaptability when you play solo. Playsnin under an hour for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nona de Koning
Netherlands
Tilburg
Noord Brabant
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Let's see... Games that I play solo where you don't control multiple players and that play quickly. I have a few of those! ^^

Hostage Negotiator is my current favorite. It's quick, thematic and you can win/lose instead of just beating your own score. It's possible to play for achievements that are included at the end of the rules, but you can ignore those just as well.

For very quick games that I can take with me anywhere I pick up Onirim (second edition), 100 Swords: The Red Dragon's Dungeon/100 Swords: The Blue Mammoth's Dungeon and The Castles of Burgundy: The Card Game (these games have a win or lose type of play) or Tiny Epic Galaxies, Card City, Doodle City, Avenue and La Granja: No Siesta (these are beat your own highscore type of things, they all play differently. Avenue solo is pretty much the same as multiplayer, Doodle City isn't much different either, the others feel a bit more different to me when compared to their multiplayer version. Doodle City also has an app and Card City can be found online, both for free, so you can check them out before possibly buying real copies.

For games that are a bit longer and/or bigger games I play Castles of Mad King Ludwig, Glass Road, Five Tribes, Imperial Settlers and The Pursuit of Happiness the most. All of these can still be played under an hour easily (more like 30-45 minutes).

As for more quick solo games I'm planning to add Cottage Garden, Inspector Moss: House Arrest and Mr. Cabbagehead's Garden Game soon (those last two have PnP versions on BGG so you can make your own copies). I also plan on adding Friday soon, but I see you already have that
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Gonzalez
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Castles of Burgundy: The Card Game does it for me. You don't play a second player, though you do flip over a few cards at the beginning of each round just to give yourself a goal to shoot for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benedikt Braet
Belgium
flag msg tools
Mentat1231 wrote:
The Castles of Burgundy: The Card Game does it for me. You don't play a second player, though you do flip over a few cards at the beginning of each round just to give yourself a goal to shoot for.

Looks good! Takes up much table space, however if I should decide to go for Mage Knight too, I'll need the space anyway laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benedikt Braet
Belgium
flag msg tools
YourLoveOnly wrote:
Let's see... Games that I play solo where you don't control multiple players and that play quickly. I have a few of those! ^^

Hostage Negotiator is my current favorite. It's quick, thematic and you can win/lose instead of just beating your own score. It's possible to play for achievements that are included at the end of the rules, but you can ignore those just as well.

For very quick games that I can take with me anywhere I pick up Onirim (second edition), 100 Swords: The Red Dragon's Dungeon/100 Swords: The Blue Mammoth's Dungeon and The Castles of Burgundy: The Card Game (these games have a win or lose type of play) or Tiny Epic Galaxies, Card City, Doodle City, Avenue and La Granja: No Siesta (these are beat your own highscore type of things, they all play differently. Avenue solo is pretty much the same as multiplayer, Doodle City isn't much different either, the others feel a bit more different to me when compared to their multiplayer version. Doodle City also has an app and Card City can be found online, both for free, so you can check them out before possibly buying real copies.

For games that are a bit longer and/or bigger games I play Castles of Mad King Ludwig, Glass Road, Five Tribes, Imperial Settlers and The Pursuit of Happiness the most. All of these can still be played under an hour easily (more like 30-45 minutes).

As for more quick solo games I'm planning to add Cottage Garden, Inspector Moss: House Arrest and Mr. Cabbagehead's Garden Game soon (those last two have PnP versions on BGG so you can make your own copies). I also plan on adding Friday soon, but I see you already have that

Quite a lot of interesting games you mention there
Guess I have a lot of rechearching to do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benedikt Braet
Belgium
flag msg tools
emodiu5 wrote:
Thanee wrote:

Bye
Thanee

Or 5 players (with an expansion), if you're an insane person who hates yourself.

As far as recommendations, I guess more criteria might be good: what sort of playtime are you looking for? Once you know how to play, I think you could solo a game of Mage Knight in 2-3 hours.

Mostly at evenings, when the children are in bed, I have time to play, but 2 hours is a maximum for me, I think, although I could play a game like Mage Knight over 2 evenings, instead of one... if I had a table where I could leave everything on in the meantime...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benedikt Braet
Belgium
flag msg tools
MAJBrown22 wrote:
Get thee to the 1 Player Guild! Then, brace yourself...

Just joined the guild (didn't know it existed). Thx!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benedikt Braet
Belgium
flag msg tools
Mondkalb123 wrote:
Most of Uwe Rosenberg's games are good solo games with A Feast for Odin being my current favorite.
After you get your head around it, it plays well under an hour.

Another favorite is Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island where you can play with a single character and supportive chars like the dog and Friday.

I've got already some of Uwe Rosenberg's games, and they play indeed very nicely. I will look into A Feast for Odin. Thx for the suggestion!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benedikt Braet
Belgium
flag msg tools
emodiu5 wrote:
Mage Knight Board Game is #1.

I see you have Legends of Andor already, and I know you don't like running multiple "hands", but Legends of Andor actually plays great solo. Since all of the information is on the board, it's very easy to play solo (even running all 4 heroes). Might be worth giving a shot, since you already own it.

Onirim (second edition) is good, and I'd recommend also checking out Shadi Torbey's other games-- Sylvion and Castellion.

I've bought Andor after reading the many good reviews, but still, we don't play it much. I guess the sort of gameplay doesn't appeal to me (duration, scenario's, too much text, ...). Thx anyway for the suggestion.

Onirim will definitely be mine within short time!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benedikt Braet
Belgium
flag msg tools
Redward wrote:
Roads and Boats is incredible and worth many hours of solo gaming entertainment. Its the best.

I would second Mage Knight as well. That is quite the brain burner.

Le Havre was enjoyable but only worth about 10-15 plays. I would recommend getting it but if you are like me you'll sell it after a bit.

Also come play online with me at: http://www.boiteajeux.net and http://www.boardgaming-online.com!

I will look into Roads and Boats. Thx!

Mage Knight seems to be the top game here, but also read that there is big setup time, and long game play
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lluluien
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Bene77 wrote:
I will look into Roads and Boats. Thx!

Mage Knight seems to be the top game here, but also read that there is big setup time, and long game play

Mage Knight is worth it, though. Setup time gets better after a few plays, but long game play is definitely correct. Plan for 3-4 hours, even if you know what you're doing.

The legends about the size of the table this game can devour are also all true.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spencer C
Netherlands
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I came in expecting to find a thread about games you can play using only one hand -- I assumed because the other would be busy with eating breakfast.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Theo Peters
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
UanarchyK wrote:
I came in expecting to find a thread about games you can play using only one hand -- I assumed because the other would be busy with eating breakfast.

Or driving? Can the game fit on the passenger seat?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Onirim (second edition) you already mentioned, Urbion, Sylvion, Castellion, and Nautilion will be good additions too.

Aeon's End can be played solo both ways: either you play only one character, or play multiple characters on your own. You choose. The game is fantastic, and should be released this month.

Hostage Negotiator is a solo only game, so you should definitely look for that one, too. Although the theme is a bit dark.

I think that should give you plenty of ground to get started. But you could also try to two different solo modes Dark Dealings has. It's a very fun little game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Johnson
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
You could try some of these:

Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game
Mice and Mystics
Sentinels of the Multiverse
Flash Point: Fire Rescue
Tiny Epic Galaxies
Escape: The Curse of the Temple
Burgle Bros.
Dungeons & Dragons: The Legend of Drizzt Board Game
Baseball Highlights: 2045
K2
Elder Sign
Thunderstone

Most of these you could play with your kids, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
TheGodsMustBeCrazy wrote:

SotM is awesome, but you have to play 3-5 characters + the bad guy + the environment deck. Not exactly what the OP requested I think
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.