12 Posts

Pax Renaissance» Forums » Rules

Subject: Sea Borders and Trade Fair Profit distribution question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tolga CORAPCI
Belgium
flag msg tools
The wording speaks about "concession in sea border" but I am not certain about the "sea" part!

For instance, Fugger's initial concession is placed on a land border. I am assuming that this concession covers all France-HRE border (including the sea part). Am-I right?

Some clarification is needed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roel van der Hoorn
Netherlands
Enschede
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sir Turquine wrote:
The wording speaks about "concession in sea border" but I am not certain about the "sea" part!

For instance, Fugger's initial concession is placed on a land border. I am assuming that this concession covers all France-HRE border (including the sea part). Am-I right?

Yes, it covers the complete border.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tolga CORAPCI
Belgium
flag msg tools
Thanks RvdH.

I guess the notion of "sea border" was an initial carve out for the "pirates" specifically, than at some stage it plagued some of the other parts of the Rulebook.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich James
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sir Turquine wrote:

What wording are you specifically referring to (rule #? card?)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roel van der Hoorn
Netherlands
Enschede
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No problem! Maybe check the definition of Border in the Glossary. I think it clears up some things.

Note that the Glossary is actually part of the rules. Especially the parts for Battle and Regime Change are important reads.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tolga CORAPCI
Belgium
flag msg tools
arjisme wrote:
Sir Turquine wrote:

What wording are you specifically referring to (rule #? card?)?

G3 first bullet point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. Mileta
Croatia
Zagreb
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
If I understood correctly, sea border can be defined as a side of a map card traversed by a trade route. So yes, Fugger's initial concession is on the sea border, but for example south border of HRE (with Papal States) is not a sea border.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tolga CORAPCI
Belgium
flag msg tools
Yes the definition of Sea Border is clear in the definition section (although not much intuitive as it goes a bit in visual contrast with the map).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich James
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I understand the confusion now. S. Mileta's explanation is very useful. Note that all such borders have some portion of sea shared between them, thus they can be referred to as sea borders. The physical location of the concession in the border is irrelevant. The concessions simply sit in the border space between two cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. Mileta
Croatia
Zagreb
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Well thank you Rich for your kind words, as well as for your contribution to the living rules and answers regarding them elsewhere on BGG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan McNeely
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
arjisme wrote:
I understand the confusion now. S. Mileta's explanation is very useful. Note that all such borders have some portion of sea shared between them, thus they can be referred to as sea borders. The physical location of the concession in the border is irrelevant. The concessions simply sit in the border space between two cards.

I wish the starting concession spots were all located in the center of the card borders than off-set. As they currently are, they suggest positioning would matter. I actually am not a fan of the card map. We don't need to flip cards if we had religious markers. We don't need gap borders if a solid map just showed spots where concessions/pirates are to be placed.

NEVERTHELESS (haha), the game is awesome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich James
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You could potentially make markers if that was how you preferred to play it. But you would also need ones to mark what the default ruling token is for each city. That changes when the cards are flipped. Or not. You could just choose to consult rules or a game aid to tell you what those default tokens are. Not the most elegant approach, in my opinion.

I actually like having the spaces between the map cards as it makes it much easier to quickly spot where the concessions are.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.