Subject: Balanced difficulty - all expansions, 6-7 players rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lukasz Bartosiewicz
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
The simple idea is:

1) You start the game with +2 of all resources.

2) At the end of game you get -1 of all resources, if there were only 1 cylon in the game. [Like personal goal]

3) At the end of game you get -1 of all resources, if there were no Cylons in first half of the game (before 4 distance). [Like personal goal]

========================================================
Thats it. It balances the difficoulty whan there is only 1 Cylon and makes you play hard from the start, not from half whan you finaly know that you are Cylon or Not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Conan Meriadoc
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Balanced difficulty - game fix.
Which expansions and number of players are you using ?

You seem to describe a situation where there are at least 2 cylons (5+ players) and there is an undealt cylon card at the end of the game, but to my knowledge this can only happen with Exodus. and Exodus has you play hard from the start anyway...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next total solar eclipse holiday in 2017 in the USA.
mbmbmbmbmb
It can also be a 4-player base game with just 1 Cylon.

This is a base game forum after all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Garbett
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
Will Provide Statistics for Data
mbmbmbmbmb
What is balance? 50/50 chance of winning human vs cylon? That would require around 200 plays to determine if it was close to 50/50. If you really want to test the hypothesis with some decent accuracy, 500 plays would be required. Why does it require so many plays? Binomial estimation, aka the ratio of wins is terribly inefficient and subject to a lot of random noise.

Also, one could define balance as 50/50 chance of any individual being on the winning side. This would bias the game towards cylons, being fewer of them.

To make it even muddier, a group of players matures over time and winning side can shift as players improve their game play.

In the end, tweaking a game for your table's enjoyment is perfectly fine. I encourage it. I feel that slavish devotion to the rules can interfere with having fun. However, be careful with what you're defining as balance and don't let a few plays convince you that you've achieved it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Aldridge
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Infinite Dreams Gaming
badge
Warehouse 13: The Board Game
mb
Not sure how your group plays, but if my gaming groups added +2 resources on games that had at least one Cylon from the beginning, the humans would run away with it most of the time. Without your proposed additional resources, the two sides seem pretty evenly matched, with dozens of games under my belt and with several different gaming groups (typically experienced with BSG).

Shawn's right - by all means, tweak the game for YOUR group. But as your group's play improves, you'll likely find ways to control the Cylon threat without the additional resources.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ackmondual
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought this was for Exodus and having one less cylon than expected (since the YAAC card is still undealt). None of the less, this sounds similar to a variant to deal with that. I also added to +1 all centurions, and to damage Gally once (can't be redirected to Peggy)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lukasz Bartosiewicz
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
Ok. We play with all expansions. Without New Caprica. Yes, it depands how good the players are. If the Cylons know how to play, it's realy hard to beat them. If the Cylons are noobs they do nothing or even help the people. I assume they are experienced.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Aldridge
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Infinite Dreams Gaming
badge
Warehouse 13: The Board Game
mb
blazo wrote:
Ok. We play with all expansions. Without New Caprica. Yes, it depands how good the players are. If the Cylons know how to play, it's realy hard to beat them. If the Cylons are noobs they do nothing or even help the people. I assume they are experienced.

We also play with all expansions, and nobody in their right mind goes to New Caprica.

It is far easier to be a newb and win as a Cylon than to be a newb and win as a human. The game itself will destroy humans who don't know how to manage cards and actions well; no Cylon assistance required.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kwijiboe
United States
flag msg tools
Hey!
mbmbmbmbmb
The two most overlooked components for balancing is the destination and crisis decks. If you're having a problem with the game, you should start there.

Also, consider how components change the behavior of the Crisis deck: should Pegasus' and Daybreak's overlays change the rules for how the Caprica location operates? Or, should those Caprica changes only belong in games with Cylon Leaders. (In my opinion, this is the only reason to change how Caprica works, it allows CLs to target resources but does not deny humans jump preparation steps).

Additionally, an across the board increase or decrease might be unwarranted. An additional Food might as well be an additional resource of another type since the game is, at its heart, about making "trades" between resources and player's skill cards. Consequently, an extra Food might as well become an extra Fuel, Morale or Population resource.

Consequently, if you want to balance the game, changing the resource amounts (although recommended by the base game Rulebook) is not the best way to go about it. But, removing and/or tweaking expansion components and rules might cause you more frustration (and a fair amount of dissonance) than it's worth.

For what it's worth, I think Base Game is the best solution. The predictable nature of the crisis deck and destination deck allows players to determine "how much loss of X resource" is acceptable?

There's a good reason that the only resource that behaves consistently between games is the Fuel resource: but that's because it's consumption is tied to the destination deck. Although, the addition of extra destinations has softened the deck's overall consumption of the fuel resource.

But, I agree with CyberGarp overall, with only a small caveat: find what's best for you, but don't throw it onto players unaware.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Increase or decrease in starting Fuel has a large effect on game balance. Changing starting Population also has a significant effect by influencing the viability of FTL Control, though less than Fuel. Morale has less effect, and starting Food has very little effect on the game except possibly when playing pure Base game.

A good way to gauge the significance of various resources is to look at the resource situation either when you lose or when you arrive at 8 distance (it's not unusual for the last jump cycle to see high resources tumble in order to keep cards and abilities for dealing with threats that have the potential to end the game)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.