Subject: Guidance on getting into this game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mr Juggles
United Kingdom
Prestatyn
Denbighshire
flag msg tools
The sweat in my t-shirt and dust in my shoes, reminds me that paradise is only a point of view.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So I've just bought Phantom League purely on the strength of someone saying it was a great homage to Elite.

Now that I've got it I hear that some of the rules were initially a little flawed, the combat system is clunky and the expansions make it better. I'm fine with this and this isn't a worry as I hear there are revision and such like out there that fix this.

My question is this. I've ordered the mostly harmless expansion and will probably get pilot academy too because I'm a completist, but what is the best direction to go to have a great non clunky first game. What do I need to be aware of, read, do, plan?

I've downloaded and printed off the combined rules that I guess is just all the rules from all the expansions in one place, but I've also downloaded the consolidated rules. Am I right in assuming the consolidated rules applies to all the games but can be played on the base game alone and that the consolidated rules address the things people had issues with?

What do you recommend I do to enjoy this now the community has had time to give feedback, suggestions and had many gaming sessions to work out what makes it the most fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ingo Perings
Germany
Königswinter
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
i have played the first time without the expansions and i had much fun. but i think the combat system didnt work well, but thats not the core of the game. you can do a lot of trading and exploring without combat. later if you are somewhat familiarized, you could try the combat from the expansions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro Silva
Portugal
Matosinhos
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd suggest going for the Mostly Harmless expansion first.

The combat system on the last version of the rules is not so clunky as it seems. Try not to complicate it too much even if the rules make you think it is so...
The idea is that each pilot creates a deck from his base cards plus some he can get from his ship, upgrades, etc.
Then you will take turns playing cards face down onto each possible aspect (attack, defence, special) of each round.
On each round only a certain number of cards of each aspect can be played. So on the first round only a single card will be played on the attack aspect, only one defence, etc.
After all involved have finished playing cards, flip each round's cards up in sequence and resolve them.

There are obviously more details but keep this basic structure in mind and they will make a lot more sense.

Also, try to do a couple of sample turns solo to get the gist of it. It will make it easier to teach others.

One last thing. I'd advise to keep player count up to 4 on the first game and try to get at least one battle going just to learn it.

Have fun. The game is quite good and a decent homage to Elite.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timo Multamäki
Finland
ASKA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmb
I have copies still left, but all remaining are in USA.

So contact me if you need copies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Green
England
Horsham
West Sussex
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
MrJuggles wrote:
I've ordered the mostly harmless expansion and will probably get pilot academy too because I'm a completist,

cry

My listing in the Geekmarket is for all three boxes. £75.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Green
England
Horsham
West Sussex
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Scratch that last comment.

Because: I GOT THIS SUCKER TO THE TABLE LAST NIGHT.

Eight years unplayed and I finally found someone whom I could sit down and thrash through the set up rules and a few turns with. It very a very good experience, even when I got messily devoured by carnivorous insectoids.

Officially now off my sale/trade list. Keeper. Must look into the dice combat variant and work out which cards from which sets to play with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timo Multamäki
Finland
ASKA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmb
mgreen02 wrote:
Scratch that last comment.

Because: I GOT THIS SUCKER TO THE TABLE LAST NIGHT.

Eight years unplayed and I finally found someone whom I could sit down and thrash through the set up rules and a few turns with. It very a very good experience, even when I got messily devoured by carnivorous insectoids.

Officially now off my sale/trade list. Keeper. Must look into the dice combat variant and work out which cards from which sets to play with.

I'm pretty sure that you'd like the Pilot Academy expansio and the battle system that comes with it.

PA is available from our webstore:
dragondawnstore.com

and at least FunAgain.com should have copies, still.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.