Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel Spaniel
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Muira McCammon wrote a marvelous piece on Churchill that can be found at https://killscreen.com/articles/ghost-churchill-make-wargame...

She also expounds upon the virtues of nerding out over event cards in wargames which I found quite relatable. Check it out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Train
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought she raised an obvious but important point wrt the event cards (specifically in relation to A Distant Plain, which is how I came upon the article), as in "whose history is in the game?"
I tried to answer in the comments but of course, the question could be asked of any historical wargame.

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Alexandria (temporarily)
Virginia
flag msg tools
All the little chicks with crimson lips, go...
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Daniel, her piece was an interesting read.

I liked her description of Churchill:
Muira McCammon wrote:
Churchill: The (Policy) Game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Spaniel
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ltmurnau wrote:
I thought she raised an obvious but important point wrt the event cards (specifically in relation to A Distant Plain, which is how I came upon the article), as in "whose history is in the game?"
I tried to answer in the comments but of course, the question could be asked of any historical wargame.

Brian, that's a great point. It's something that players and designers think about as well as "what role do I play in this game?" The question of whose history is more clear in Churchill due(in part) to an identifiable source of info on the negotiation and that players have defined roles. In something like A Distant Plain, we learn our roles as players from the motivations and objectives we are given. Events are framed in how they impact the objectives of the player roles.

Maybe games where players take the role of a citizen, survivor, refugee, etc. would better inflect that history.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.