Subject: Base rings? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kurt B
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking at the four player setup on the Kickstarter page, it seems to me that it will be hard to differentiate each player's units since they are the same color. Plus the fact that you draft your team each game, you will wind up with different units each play so it's not like you'll get used to your team.

I was wondering if colored base rings or similar would be required?

For those that have played the game already, was this a problem?

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Itai Perez
France
Paris
Ile-de-France
flag msg tools
designer
Soon in retail !
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When I played (with only the base box), it really wasn't a problem, as all miniatures are very distinct and recognizable. You have all the cards of your troops and can find them easily on the board. There is no way you are going to confuse Ares with Zeus, or the Hydra with Cerberus.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Sinodinos
Canada
Laval
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Itai wrote:
When I played (with only the base box), it really wasn't a problem, as all miniatures are very distinct and recognizable. You have all the cards of your troops and can find them easily on the board. There is no way you are going to confuse Ares with Zeus, or the Hydra with Cerberus.

Although what you say may be true, I do believe Kurt has a point, because some of the illustrations on the character dashboards don't match the actual poses of their minis in play (offhand, Atlanta and Achilles comes to mind).

Also, if we can use the original Mythic Battles game as an example (which imho is an absolutely fantastic game ), regardless if the pogs featured the exact same pics as their respective character cards; I found that gameplay slowed considerably until the MB expansions began featuring colored rings around the pogs to help differentiate between the characters of each faction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Bowker
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I commented on the KS too, but I would think that knowing where your opponents' units are, and to whom they belong might be just as important as knowing which ones are your own. Colored rings might be useful for that situation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In the bad old days of wargaming a product was developed (well, adapted) to help distinguish figures and their various states of being and ownership. The product was referred to as "pipe cleaners" and it is sold in a variety of colors at most fabric or craft-hobby stores.

Some problems are already solved!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Cahard
France
Fécamp
Seine-Maritime
flag msg tools
Having played several games, I have to second Itai on this : you quickly have a really good idea on who's who and who belongs to who...

Note that all the units have to deploy, and they don't move or attack on this occasion. You see them appear on the battlefield, which gives you a good grasp on the forces on the board and whoever controls them, even if they don't match the illustration on the cards or the dashboard...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thaddeus MacTaggart
Netherlands
Almere Buiten
Flevoland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
proclaimed wrote:
I commented on the KS too, but I would think that knowing where your opponents' units are, and to whom they belong might be just as important as knowing which ones are your own. Colored rings might be useful for that situation.

In a 1 on 1 game it shouldn' t be a big problem but in a 2 vs 2 or 4 player game I can imagine rings would be helpful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Clapperton
United Kingdom
Hebburn
Tyne & Wear
flag msg tools
mbmb
I've played 1v1 and 2v2 and never found it an issue. You only have a god and 8pts worth of units in a 2v2 so you don't have much on the board and they're all distinctive and easily recognisable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Sinodinos
Canada
Laval
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Andynosaure wrote:
Having played several games, I have to second Itai on this : you quickly have a really good idea on who's who and who belongs to who...

Note that all the units have to deploy, and they don't move or attack on this occasion. You see them appear on the battlefield, which gives you a good grasp on the forces on the board and whoever controls them, even if they don't match the illustration on the cards or the dashboard...

Well, I hope you guys are right, cuz with over 40+ plays of the base game; that wasn't the case for my gaming group. At least not until the colored pogs came to the fore . But either way, I'm still backing this KS project -no matter what .

However, on the flip side, I do hope the designers rethink the idea of matching the illustrations to the character poses of the minis, because at the moment, the gods pledge is offering approximately 60 minis or so. Now, while some of the minis are easily recognizable; others are not, and with the way the stretch goals are being achieved; that 60 mini figure count is only gonna get bigger and bigger from there.

Which is definitely a good thing.

But imagine down the road, when your pulling it off the shelf after not having played it for a month, 2 months, or even 3... Imagine what a nightmare it's going to be when attempting to set up a game for play with nothing to reference those minis to the cards because their illustrations don't match.

At the end of the day, with all the effort that the boys at Monolith have put into the game; there's no doubt in my mind that it's been a labour of love, and I think it would be such a shame to let such an easy thing to remedy go unchecked.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
martimer wrote:
In the bad old days of wargaming a product was developed (well, adapted) to help distinguish figures and their various states of being and ownership. The product was referred to as "pipe cleaners" and it is sold in a variety of colors at most fabric or craft-hobby stores.

Pipe cleaners??? I grew up on sticky tack! Exciting sticky tack! laugh

You can also use sticky tack with gemstones. These are available at Michael's. Remember your 40% off coupon!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Colored sticky tack? Children have things so easy...whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Sinodinos
Canada
Laval
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lol!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.