Deep Future» Forums » Reviews

Subject: A Review of Deep Future - a "Make-as-You-Play" Game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
T Patts
msg tools
mbmbmb
About me -
I like solo pnp games, and as I dont have access to a printer, ones that are easily transfered and played without printing anything mean they're more likely to get played! I call it "Prototype-&-Play" but if there's another term for it then great.

COMMENTS:
Takes a fair amount of time to "get" the rules and how things work, but once it clicks this is a fun little "make-as-you-play" game that really gives the feeling of an expanding, evolving universe.

Would love to have a bit more of a challenge however (as with all these games, I play it solo). Will have a look at the official and fan-made variants to see if I can inject a bit more drama...or maybe make a variant myself.

EASE OF CONSCTRUCTION:
As a light-weight "Prototype-&-Play"er (that is, I make all the components myself instead of printing them) rather than a Print-&-Player, Deep Future fits perfectly! Every single card is made by hand as you progress so you don't miss out on fancy artwork or anything - it's MEANT to be basic.

I don't have any wooden cubes or anything like that either - my map, universe history and tableaus are in a spreadsheet on the computer which further lightens the footprint.

RE-PLAYABILITY:
I'm into my fourth "era" now and I'm enjoying the fact that technologies and civilisations from previous games (even unsuccessful ones) re-appear. So, yes, this is very re-playable.

WORTH "UP-GRADING"?:
If it were possible to get this printed properly then it would be absolutely worth it - however the fanciest you get is a simple hex-map and four score tracks. And in that lies a large part of this game's charm - the designer has focussed on Deep Future being an enjoyable experience and not on the gloss of it's artwork and it has paid off immensly.

MY RATING -
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The rwinder
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
Come read my Arkham Horror stories on Twitter @ArkhamHorror
badge
Image courtesy of Smizmazmarlemagne
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the review! Glad you're enjoying the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.