Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ken Kmak
United States
Parrish
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The rulebook says everyone starts with 1 production for each resource so when a corporation card says you start with some production do you add that number to the 1 starting resource production? For example, Mining Guild Corp says you start with 1 steel production. Does this mean your steel production is 2 at the beginning of the game? Ecoline Corp gives you 2 plant production, so is your starting plant production is 3?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Mulholland
United Kingdom
Bradford
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
I really like squid.
badge
I really like squid.
mbmbmbmbmb
Panzer2C wrote:
The rulebook says everyone starts with 1 production for each resource so when a corporation card says you start with some production do you add that number to the 1 starting resource production? For example, Mining Guild Corp says you start with 1 steel production. Does this mean your steel production is 2 at the beginning of the game? Ecoline Corp gives you 2 plant production, so is your starting plant production is 3?

With beginner corporations all production starts at 1.

With advanced corporations all production starts at 0 unless stated on the card

EDIT: I was wrong on this and don't want anyone reading this and not the rest of the thread.

So to be clear:

In a game without the corporate era cards everyone starts with production level of 1 for everything (modified by their corporate cards)

In a game with the corporate era cards everyone starts with production level of 0 for everything (modified by their corporate cards)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Ben
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Of course I've been up all night! Not because of caffeine, it was insomnia. I couldn't stop thinking about coffee.
mbmbmbmbmb
PeterM2158 wrote:
Panzer2C wrote:

Not quite true. Production starts at 1 in the standard game, and 0 in the corporate era game. So if you have shuffled the extra cards in you should start at 0 production, regardless of which corporation you take.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam H
United States
Kent
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PeterM2158 wrote:

Pretty sure this isn't the case.

All corporations in the regular version of the game start at 1 (see Setup on pg 7).

If playing the Corporate Era variant for an extended game experience, then players start with zero production (see pg 13).

From memory on another thread: the resources on the corporation would be a bonus to whatever your starting resources are relevant to the game you're playing (I will try to find the thread and post a link if somebody hasn't already ninja'd me).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Örjan Almén
Sweden
Karlstad
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, you count the corporation card as if you have played it as a blue card.

First set up the production as of the game, 0 or 1 on all resource productions (as mentioned above), then add whats on the corporation card both in sense of resource and production, and with this procedure everything should makes sense on how it works.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Mulholland
United Kingdom
Bradford
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
I really like squid.
badge
I really like squid.
mbmbmbmbmb
JonBen wrote:
PeterM2158 wrote:
Panzer2C wrote:

Not quite true. Production starts at 1 in the standard game, and 0 in the corporate era game. So if you have shuffled the extra cards in you should start at 0 production, regardless of which corporation you take.

Pseudacris wrote:
PeterM2158 wrote:

All corporations in the regular version of the game start at 1 (see Setup on pg 7).

If playing the Corporate Era variant for an extended game experience, then players start with zero production (see pg 13).

From memory on another thread: the resources on the corporation would be a bonus to whatever your starting resources are relevant to the game you're playing (I will try to find the thread and post a link if somebody hasn't already ninja'd me).

Wow is my face red modest Checked the rules (see the quote below) and I guess I got this wrong. I'm thinking I probably assumed "standard game" meant just using the beginner corps. Good to know, I'll make sure we do this next time I play!

Rulebook wrote:
You start with 1 production of each resource on the
player board, so place player markers on the tracks
(only in standard game.)

So to be clear:

In a game without the corporate era cards everyone starts with production level of 1 for everything (modified by their corporate cards)

In a game with the corporate era cards everyone starts with production level of 0 for everything (modified by their corporate cards)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Stückl
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
Pseudacris wrote:
PeterM2158 wrote:

I think most notably, the topic came up here ninja:
https://boardgamegeek.com/article/24017227#24017227
(Edit: Added ninja emote)

Here's an official reply on this topic:
EagleEye80 wrote:
Just want to confirm that Sebastian is 100% ríght!

TM can be played with a few different options, and unfortunately that creates some confusion sometimes:

There are 1 standard game and 1 expansion included in the box:
- Standard game: start with 1 extra production of everything (+corporation starting bonuses).
- Corporate Era Expansion ("extended game"): start without extra production of everything (but add corporation starting bonuses). Add all CE cards (red triangle in the frame).

Playing with or without extra production affects all players, no matter if they play with Beginner corporation or (regular) corporation!

There are also these options that work with standard game and expansions (CE and coming expansions):
- You can either choose a Beginner Corporation (intended for beginners), or choose between 2 of the regular corporations. Beginner Corps gets their 10 cards for free so they don't have to make any difficult choices during setup. The other players look at their 10 starting cards and 2 corporations at the same time and decide which cards they want to buy and which corp they want to play.
- You can play draft variant and draft the 4 cards in the Research Phase (draft is never applied on the 10 starting cards!).
- You can play solo - but then you always play with CE expansions (all the cards and no extra producion).

We hope that all these options offers more replayability, rather than headache to people...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam H
United States
Kent
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PeterM2158 wrote:

So to be clear:

Yep, this is it (and a great way to phrase it for clarity).

I think there's going to be a lot of changes in the way things are phrased in the rules (and a bit on the cards) when the second edition (or collector's edition...*fingers crossed*) rolls around.

Things have always been *technically* clear when I've read them, but you *really* have to read them to make sure you've got it right. I think they're seeing through the forums here what things are causing confusion (most notably people thinking they only get one action set per generation) and figuring out how to phrase it better so that the rule is more explicit and apparent on an initial read through.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam H
United States
Kent
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As a side note: I'm noticing that Peter's first post has three thumbs up...I hope they stop back and read the rest of the thread, I'm guessing they had the rule mixed up as well!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Chaney

California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pseudacris wrote:
As a side note: I'm noticing that Peter's first post has three thumbs up...I hope they stop back and read the rest of the thread, I'm guessing they had the rule mixed up as well!

Edit: thanks!
Agreed. Peter, if you're still watching, can you edit your first post in the topic adding a reference to the corrections below it?

I'm really hoping to get some different language in use for the "Corporate Era" option. It is SO easily confused with the use of Regular Corporations (non-beginner Corporations) which is an independent option.

It would be hard to not call the Regular Corporations anything that didn't use the word "Corporation" but it would be simple to change the name of the version that adds the cards with the little red and white dot on them to something else. Some options would be "Advanced," "Production Development," or "Extended" game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Stückl
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
kenchaney wrote:
Pseudacris wrote:

Agreed. Peter, if you're still watching, can you edit your first post in the topic adding a reference to the corrections below it?

I'm really hoping to get some different language in use for the "Corporate Era" option. It is SO easily confused with the use of Regular Corporations (non-beginner Corporations) which is an independent option.

It would be hard to not call the Regular Corporations anything that didn't use the word "Corporation" but it would be simple to change the name of the version that adds the cards with the little red and white dot on them to something else. Some options would be "Advanced," "Production Development," or "Extended" game.

I have been using the phrase "extended game" lately, and this is also one of the two ways the corporate era variant is referred to in the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bård Holst
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PeterM2158 wrote:
Panzer2C wrote:

This is wrong!

Yes you start with 1 production in the regular game but that has nothing to do with what corporation you play with. You can choose to either play with a beginner corporation and stay at 1 production on all or choose an advanced corporation and if that corporation says that you gain 1 production of a specific resource you would add that to your existing production giving you 2 in production at the start of the game.

Playing with the corporate era cards will start the game at a default of 0 production on all resources but again your corporation might change that to 1 for a specific resource
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Mulholland
United Kingdom
Bradford
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
I really like squid.
badge
I really like squid.
mbmbmbmbmb
kenchaney wrote:
Pseudacris wrote:

Done!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Mulholland
United Kingdom
Bradford
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
I really like squid.
badge
I really like squid.
mbmbmbmbmb
Nusferatu wrote:
PeterM2158 wrote:
Panzer2C wrote:

This is wrong!

Yes you start with 1 production in the regular game but that has nothing to do with what corporation you play with. You can choose to either play with a beginner corporation and stay at 1 production on all or choose an advanced corporation and if that corporation says that you gain 1 production of a specific resource you would add that to your existing production giving you 2 in production at the start of the game.

Playing with the corporate era cards will start the game at a default of 0 production on all resources but again your corporation might change that to 1 for a specific resource

Yep if you actually read the whole thread through you'll see this was already picked up...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Cohn
United States
Racine
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PeterM2158 wrote:
EDIT: I was wrong on this and don't want anyone reading this and not the rest of the thread.

So to be clear:

A tip of the hat, a thumb and some gg to you, good sir.
Not everyone would have been so very willing to correct that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Mulholland
United Kingdom
Bradford
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
I really like squid.
badge
I really like squid.
mbmbmbmbmb
OchreOgre wrote:
PeterM2158 wrote:

So to be clear:

A tip of the hat, a thumb and some gg to you, good sir.
Not everyone would have been so very willing to correct that.

Oh how very kind of you! I'm more than happy to admit when I'm wrong! And would much rather others were playing correctly. A similar thing just happened on a thread for Orléans; discovered I'd been playing a simple rule wrong (despite being taught correctly?). Maybe I need to read rule books more carefully...

Anyways thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bård Holst
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PeterM2158 wrote:
Nusferatu wrote:
PeterM2158 wrote:
Panzer2C wrote:

This is wrong!

Yep if you actually read the whole thread through you'll see this was already picked up...

So sorry. Just trying to help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.