Jayson Myers
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Please check out my other reviews at:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/145695/item/2728438#it...

Conclusion:

Tzolk'in: The Mayan Calendar was a game on my to play list for a long time. I knew I would love it, but it was a matter of sitting down and reading the rules. For a long time, I had an idea that it would be heavier than it was (no fault of the game, of course). What I found instead, was an easy to learn and easy to play game that hit nearly a perfect spot for me.

The gears could have been a gimmick. Could have been. Wasn't. They are awesome and work brilliantly. I love the idea of keeping my workers out there longer and giving up what I could get for this better thing. I only have so many actions, so I need to max out my pick up and place actions also. This gives me layers to my decisions. With that said, it never added to the AP of the game.

There are restrictions. I need corn to place a lot of workers. Having extra resources doesn't help unless I can use them. Getting that skull is "worth" more, but I don't need it right now; I really need some gold. There are a lot of different ways to score or at least a lot of different ways to get the things you need in order to score.

For me, this game goes down as a classic. It has earned its place in my collection. I'm always excited to play it again and it seems to really work. It may be a tad long for some, but I feel once you get it down it moves at a good clip.

I highly recommend this game and if you are on the fence, try it out. I think you may fall in love.

Keeper.

Components:

The components are really good, but I did upgrade my components through meelpe source. It isn't a must, but they look much better. Other than that, the board is a work of art with those gears. Mine have been painted, but that is totally optional. The components you get are fantastic and those little skulls are a nice touch.

Rule Book:

The rules were a breeze for me to read and understand. The gears do most of the work in the game and it is pretty easy to understand how things get better. There are only two options on any given turn so that part is super easy to digest. The tricker part is the icons, but they make sense and are used over and over again so they get memorized rather quickly.

Flow of the Game:

On a turn, you have two options:

1. Place 1 (or more) workers, or

2. Take 1 (or more) workers off the board and gather the resources.

The key to this game is the workers are placed on these gears. There is a cost to placing a gear (paid for in corn) and the more you place the more corn you have to place. You have 5 gears to choose from, but you must always place your worker on the "least" spot that is available.

The trick is after each turn the gears move and thus your workers move. So, by keeping your workers on the gears longer you are able to get a better reward (in theory at least). This game is a lot about timing and making the best of what is going on. Sure that other spot may be of more value, but you have options now and you can't wait. Or can you?

The game plays over a set number of turns. From the start, this limits you how much of things you can get and whether you have the time to wait for what is most valuable.

While there isn't any direct interaction really, who places which worker where is so very important to your strategy working out.

Should I buy this game?:

This is a really good, really solid Euro game. The gear mechanic isn't just a gimmick and people are going to like it. You are going to have to like the "get X to trade into Y to make it VP". That's what this game is. But the turns move really fast and that is appealing. The theme is pasted on as most good Euros are, but the gears are going to be very intriguing for a very long time. This is a game that I would recommend to most board gamers. At least try this one out. It is one that I will keep in my collection for a very long time.

Keeper.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Sanders
United States
Henderson
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
DNA results:Scottish, Dutch, English, Irish, German, French, Iberian Peninsula = 100% American!
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Helena Hovancova
Slovakia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Agreed.

Awesome game! We have also expansion Tzolk'in: The Mayan Calendar – Tribes & Prophecies. Highly recommended. The thing is that the variation in base game comes only from starting tiles & buildings. And sometimes it does not steer you from playing the same strategy over and over again.

With Prophecies -- you get extra 3 pushes each game [of course you can ignore those and go your own way]. I just love it! It's truly a different game each time. Tribes are cool as well.

And have I mentioned? Those crystal sculls are one of the nicest euro game component out there! meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mihnea Cateanu
Romania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I whole-heartedly agree. I may have a meager collection (only 30 games) but this is for now a clear number 1.

Beyond the points you touched, I would add that it also scales really well for any number of players, which is not something usual for a mid-to-heavy weight euro.

Also, Tzolk'in: The Mayan Calendar – Tribes & Prophecies is a must if you enjoy the base game, it makes it even more amazing thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jayson Myers
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
helena_poprad wrote:
Agreed.

Awesome game! We have also expansion Tzolk'in: The Mayan Calendar – Tribes & Prophecies. Highly recommended. The thing is that the variation in base game comes only from starting tiles & buildings. And sometimes it does not steer you from playing the same strategy over and over again.

With Prophecies -- you get extra 3 pushes each game [of course you can ignore those and go your own way]. I just love it! It's truly a different game each time. Tribes are cool as well.

And have I mentioned? Those crystal sculls are one of the nicest euro game component out there! meeple

I need to check out the expansion. It is on my to do list.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sabine Scholl
New Zealand
Porirua
Wellington
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks! Your review makes me want to play this game meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jayson Myers
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
SabineKiwi wrote:
Thanks! Your review makes me want to play this game meeple

If you do, let us know how it went.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.