Popular Tags: [View All]
Bryan Nutting
United States
Pittsfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So far I'm really enjoying the game.
One thing that I realized today, while looking through the various character cards, is that all the characters are the same except the starting equipment and their looks. No character is any stronger or better at shooting for example.

What are some of the things that you are doing to make the characters unique?
Are you having characters start with any perks by default?
What house rules are you using?
How are you making the weapons different? I noticed that there is very little variety with the weapons, for example +1 on melee attack roll or something.

Let's hear your thoughts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Tresman
United Kingdom
Christchurch
Dorset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Peanutt wrote:
So far I'm really enjoying the game.
One thing that I realized today, while looking through the various character cards, is that all the characters are the same except the starting equipment and their looks. No character is any stronger or better at shooting for example.

What are some of the things that you are doing to make the characters unique?
Are you having characters start with any perks by default?
What house rules are you using?
How are you making the weapons different? I noticed that there is very little variety with the weapons, for example +1 on melee attack roll or something.

Let's hear your thoughts.

Look at the perk type icons , different characters perks are cheaper when they play to their strengths.

Match the colour codes vs perk costs. Once you play through a few chapters your characters will develop due to the perks they purchase and then take on a whole new feel.

It is simple but effective and you find yourself fleshing out the character rpg style. Some characters have unique equipment or weapons and in some of the one off missions they have starting perk / perk allowances.

There is a lot of new content online and in the coming chapters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Nutting
United States
Pittsfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for your input. I understand the perks and how they work.
But what I had noticed is that at the beginning of the game, mission 1, all the characters are equal (the same).

I suppose I have played too many like games, but Vicktor is a big burly guy I would think that he would hit harder (+1 to melee) or Kat is skilled with swords and pistols (+1 sword or +1 pistol). Kind of a natural ability.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
robert butler
msg tools
designer
publisher
mb
Actually, victor does hit harder, his unarmed melee kills on a 7 (everyone else is on an 8). If you get "blackbelt" perk which is cheap for him it gives him a further +1, "berserker" power perk (also cheap for him) can also give him an extra +1, so the combination of his slightly better unarmed melee + blackbelt + berserker perks being cheap can get him to a 5+ unarmed melee in just a few missions worth of XP.

Unfortunately adding +1 to some of the stats would break the balance of the game. For example:

If kat had +1 to pistol she would be killing on a 4+ with a quick fire attack (knockdown on a 3). An aimed shot with her .44 would kill on a 2 and knock down on a 1, you couldn't miss, worst result would be a a knockdown. Now, as pistols are semi auto, if she bought the "double tap" perk, she could convert the 1s to kills too. If she had "pinpoint" or "dead eye" too she could essentially dish out 4 auto kill points per turn, which would be game breaking over powered.

If she had +1 to her sword and then followed the same perk choices as for Victor (above) she would have a 3+ melee kill (2+ K/D) which again, would be OP.

Try to bear in mind that the campaign is 26 chapters long. The heroes are only really the same for 1-2 missions then the perks take over (we wanted heroes to be as much of a blank canvas as possible for players to put their stamp on them). We also loaded the XP to front of the game (early missions are 25XP where as later ones drop as low as 10) so players could start crafting their characters as early as possible. My Cole, currently at chapter 14 (issue 3) has "Hitman", "Deadeye", "Pinpoint", "Run & Gun" & "Double Tap". He can auto kill for 4AP, his Aimed shots kill on a 3 (with double tap) and he can do them 4 times a turn OR with double damage... he's a one man army (while ever the ammo lasts) . Compare that to my Sam, who still has the same 6+ pistol kill he had at mission 1 and you'll see there's an absolute chasm of difference between them, so much so that often i'll have Sam just give his gun to cole because he can do so much more damage with it.

At certain points, facing regular zombies & even Diggers at the point we're at in the campaign it honestly feels like you're playing with The Avengers, with Cole reeling off perfect 4 for 4 head shots, Kat redlining into a bunch of zombies, cutting them to ribbons then throwing her sword at a straggler while Sam does a turbo stink and scoot across the board with the objective... all totally different skill sets working in perfect synchronized carnage

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Nutting
United States
Pittsfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Rob!
That was the kind of input that I was hoping for. I didn't want to start making any house rules that would potentially break the game.

I have played the first scenario through twice and have already discovered so many things. Like using aimed shots a bit more, at least until you start getting perks that would make them not quite as much as a necessity.

Any other "pointers" or words of wisdom to get players going?

One thing that I'm experiencing is that taking your time and searching may not be such a good idea. You will start to run out of ammo long before you have gotten to any objectives.

I noticed that zombies can open doors (for 1 MP). I haven't seen this happen in any of the play-through videos that I've watched. I've been using the knock to spawn a room, if the room has too many zombies I move on. However if zombies can open doors and chase you, that may not be such a good idea. Thoughts?

Thank you again for your input.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Željan Sudeta
Croatia
Zagreb
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Knock action is situational and we do not use it often (maybe used it only 5 times)

For example if you are feeling lucky (you have only one action point left) and the room is 3 space long from the door you can try your luck and knock and if the zombies spawn they "might" spawn 3 spaces away from the door so they cannot get to you and you will get them on the next turn.

That is a lot of ifs... cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
robert butler
msg tools
designer
publisher
mb
Peanutt wrote:

I noticed that zombies can open doors (for 1 MP). I haven't seen this happen in any of the play-through videos that I've watched. I've been using the knock to spawn a room, if the room has too many zombies I move on. However if zombies can open doors and chase you, that may not be such a good idea. Thoughts?

As cougar says, knock activation is situational. The only time i use it is if i do not have much ammo left & i do it with my first AP of the turn, this way if you get 2/3 spawn 1 square away you can still sprint 3 then move 1 which would get you out of grab range. If i have ammo I open the door anyway, if spawning is too close and heavy, sprint 3 squares, then dive 2, this leaves you prone but out of reach so that in your next turn you can shoot off your back with all your AP.

If you open a door and they spawn more than 2 squares away, use 2 AP to shoot at them (aim or 2 quick fire), if anything survives close the door with your last AP. next turn they shuffle toward the door (just 2 as they cant see or smell you) next turn you open the door again and finish them off.

If they spawn 2 squares away and you close the door they will move forward 1 then open the door for 1 seeing/smelling you then moving their extra 2 to attack, followed by everything else in the room that can now see/smell you. If you get more than 1 spawn 2 squares away your best bet is to either sprint 3 then move 1 to create space to kill next turn, or just step back 1 and set alert (if you are in a rush.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
robert butler
msg tools
designer
publisher
mb
Peanutt wrote:
I have played the first scenario through twice and have already discovered so many things. Like using aimed shots a bit more, at least until you start getting perks that would make them not quite as much as a necessity.

Any other "pointers" or words of wisdom to get players going?

Try to focus on positioning & creating space, for example, if there is a spot on the board that has LOS to multiple spawn points (or paths that infected spawning at other points would be forced to cross) and is a decent distance away from said spawn points, get a "point man" in that area with plenty of ammunition. Use the distance so that you can stick to just aimed shots without being swarmed, try to avoid using any quick / alert fire. If possible, find a spot with the option to step out of LOS if spawning is too heavy to stop them charging so you can keep "popping out" to thin them down again and/or just buy time for someone to arrive in support. Later in the game this gets easier as you can add perks suited to this roll, "hit man" (auto kill) and "dead eye" (1AP aimed shots) really help for this kind of tactic.

The easiest way to maximize searches in the early missions is to either use sam's stink tank (so he can wander into populated rooms and search anyway). The added bonus of using sam's stink tank for this is it sets up easy assassinations as infected just wander past him out of the door Or use cole, open the door with his first AP then 3 round burst everything in there (this uses a lot of ammo but it's fast). Another thing we sometimes do is activate rooms on the way into the map so that if time/ammo allows we can search them on the way back out (this is obviously only really any use for extra XP loot items). We always play test initially without searching any rooms at all, so every mission is possible using only starting equipment o generally when we do search, we're after loot.

Overall I would say, try to define your team rolls early, sam & kat are both green for agility, so they can pick up some of the speed based perks (turbo, skinny, redline) very early in the game and become the go-to guys for objective runs.

Cole can be used for dealing with rooms (search/objectives) if you go down the "kick open the door and full auto everything" route, or as your "point man" controlling the spawns from a distance with aimed shots (and the grenade if he's swarmed).

Vic is similar to cole in that can quickly smash rooms with the shotgun or serve as point man with his pistol (switch to shotgun when swarmed) and also has the added bonus of a better (7+) unarmed melee. The "black belt" (+1 unarmed melee) perk is 40XP to him, so he can have a 6+ unnamed kill by the start of mission 3. Playing point man with a melee weapon opens up the possibility of "thinning out" spawns instead of killing everything, then stepping in to finish with melee to conserve ammo. Theoretically this means you can hold a location for much longer than with ballistics alone so it's mega useful for missions such as "the horde"

Hope that helps

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.