Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Spencer Skelton
Canada
Barrie
Ontario
flag msg tools
Hey guys,

We are having a hard time understanding how Rocket Jump works exactly.

We too it as in you choose a direction in range 1 then rocket jump over that space. If you land on a minion, you stomp it and get to keep your card. Is this correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Arnone
United States
Parkville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Skelts_22 wrote:
Hey guys,

We too it as in you choose a direction in range 1 then rocket jump over that space. If you land on a minion, you stomp it and get to keep your card. Is this correct?

Where are you getting that you only rocket jump over one space? If I recall, doesn't the card say that you kill all adjacent minions and then jump a number of spaces equal to the number of minions killed?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulk
United States
Cedar Park
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
InkSplat wrote:
Skelts_22 wrote:
Hey guys,

Where are you getting that you only rocket jump over one space? If I recall, doesn't the card say that you kill all adjacent minions and then jump a number of spaces equal to the number of minions killed?

Yes

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spencer Skelton
Canada
Barrie
Ontario
flag msg tools
Ohh okay I didn't know you killed all the minions in range 1, and that you can moved up to that many spaces in one direction.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd still like to know whether "direction" on this card includes diagonals. Haven't been able to get an official ruling on this yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Tiras
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Hey James!

All movement is done in an adjacent direction. This includes, minions, mechs, bombs, and other things.

Hope that clears up the confusion!

-RiotFpMcgee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amos Dillman
United States
Bement
IL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Felkor wrote:
I'd still like to know whether "direction" on this card includes diagonals. Haven't been able to get an official ruling on this yet.

Quote:
Move commands move the mech to another space, while facing the same direction it started. - Move Commands, Rules Reference.

Turn command cards also say "face any direction" at level 3 power.

And.

Quote:
"The Crystal Compass has four directions and four colors, matching the runes throughout the game." - Crystal Compass, Rules Reference.

Movement directions are always orthogonal. Diagonal is only applicable in regards to effects with range, i.e. attacks commands. Rocket jump says move so many spaces in any direction--presumably in accordance with all other rules referring to movement direction.

Edit: Looks like an official ruling was given while I was collecting my quotes. Oh well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It helps clear up the confusion, but I think most of us expected a different answer.

It did not appear that Rocket Jump was governed by movement rules. For example, if we simply classify it as movement, you could tow while jumping, which surely isn't intended. The way that most other cards that referred to 'direction' without qualification clearly included diagonals made it seem like you were definitely implying diagonals were an option for Rocket Jump too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Tiras
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Good feedback, we'll see how we can clarify that intent more effectively in future prints.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RiotFpMcgee wrote:
Hey James!

All movement is done in an adjacent direction. This includes, minions, mechs, bombs, and other things.

Hope that clears up the confusion!

-RiotFpMcgee

Thanks, Nathan! As mentioned, there were quite a few of us thinking the opposite, so it's good to have final confirmation!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another question:
Do I squish minions while moving with a rocket jump?
So for example:
I use rocket jump to kill 3 minions surrounding me, so I can move 3 spaces in one direction, when there are 2 more minions in that direction can I squish them both?
I did imagine a rocket jump more like flying into the air and landing somewhere, so would expect a minion on the way to survive and just squish a minion in the target space.
But when it is treaded as a "normal" move, it should squish everything on the way in addition to the target spaces.
Additionally Jorgens argument about towing is also interesting, and I would like to get an official ruling on this. So is towing an option? I can image this quite a useful and funny move...hock up a mech next to you, kill 6 minions and tow away 3 spaces...
And it brings me to another question: What about pushing? Can I push while rocket jumping?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brad poon
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
The card says to ignore all "obstacles" in between you and the destination.
So no to all of those.

I WOULD like to know what happens if you land on an oil slick though whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Vanschooren
Belgium
Beringen
Limburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
poondog wrote:
The card says to ignore all "obstacles" in between you and the destination.
So no to all of those.

I WOULD like to know what happens if you land on an oil slick though whistle

You just land there and don't slide.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Tiras
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
For visualization and thematic purposes, here's Tristana w/ Rocket Jump in League:

https://youtu.be/85LQtVz8aCU?t=63

You'll jump over anything in the way en route to the spot you land in. No towing with Rocket Jump, as the towing cables didn't pass the safety inspection for elevation changes .

For pushing, you don't push while in the air. If you would land on something that you would push (like a bomb, fellow mech, or something, push it one additional space in the same direction of the Rocket Jump. If you cannot push it because of a wall, edge of the map, or something, then Tristana stops at the square immediately before the original target destination.

Really good questions about a card with a lot of interesting interactions that we totally took for granted during our internal testing!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Wilson
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
Anomaly, or inevitable unlikelihood?
badge
Snoopy : )
mbmbmbmbmb
What about landing in the oil? Will you slide or no?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
7he Architect wrote:
What about landing in the oil? Will you slide or no?

Given the ruling we received, I think you would slide. The fact you push things that are in your destination space means you are treating the destination space as if you moved into it in the direction of movement. Given that, you would slide. You would ignore the Oil spaces between your starting and destination point, though.

And given you would slide, I think that any minions stomped while sliding would also count for whether you keep Rocket Jump, but I'm not 100% sure about that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Wilson
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
Anomaly, or inevitable unlikelihood?
badge
Snoopy : )
mbmbmbmbmb
It looks like another developer has stated that Rocket Jump can be used in a diagonal direction, from another thread. Also, can rocket jumps be chained together? If I use it, then land on another minion, can I use it again, and again, etc?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
7he Architect wrote:
It looks like another developer has stated that Rocket Jump can be used in a diagonal direction, from another thread. Also, can rocket jumps be chained together? If I use it, then land on another minion, can I use it again, and again, etc?

Where was that? I don't recall an official mention of it.

It definitely can't be used multiple times in a turn. Schematics with a turn-based timing instance are usable once per turn. We think this counts for ones that are used at the start or end of your turn too, you can only choose one timing instance per turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, I see Mr Piddlesworth gave it the OK in this thread.

We do need another clarification here it seems, along with final confirmation on what exactly the once per turn thing means with regards to before or after running your Command line...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.