1846: The Race for the Midwest» Forums » General

Subject: Double sided token rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The token at then end of the C&O row on the counter sheet is PRR on the front and C&O on the back. What's it for?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Lutz
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Quote:
NOTE: The three extra tokens for each corporation are used if it
purchases the Chicago & Western Indiana Private Company or the
two Independent Railroads. They are not available otherwise. Set
them aside. Due to production limits, the Pennsylvania RR and
Chesapeake & Ohio RR share, on reverse sides, one of these tokens
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Drazen
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
alfonzo54 wrote:
The token at then end of the C&O row on the counter sheet is PRR on the front and C&O on the back. What's it for?

It's an extra token for if you buy in the MS or Big 4, I think. Double sided for saving on production costs. The original DTG version has a few things that are double sided as well for that purpose.

Edit: Ninja'd. And ninja'd by a more accurate ninja at that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Lehmann
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
See the note after 5.34 on page 5.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone. I didn't feel like combing through a physical rulebook to try to figure it out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Lutz
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
alfonzo54 wrote:
Thanks everyone. I didn't feel like combing through a physical rulebook to try to figure it out.

So you made me do it? Actually, I searched the PDF.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jim b
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
It's totally a nit, but, this was the only thing in the GMT production that made me think, "... oh, that's too bad ...".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pilotbob wrote:
alfonzo54 wrote:
Thanks everyone. I didn't feel like combing through a physical rulebook to try to figure it out. ;)

So you made me do it? Actually, I searched the PDF. ;)

I sure did! I didn't even know the pdf was up since it's not on GMT's site and I didn't think to check the file section. Thanks for tipping me off.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Lehmann
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
jimb wrote:
It's totally a nit, but, this was the only thing in the GMT production that made me think, "... oh, that's too bad ...".

I don't see how it is an issue.

I recommend keeping all the extra "swap" tokens in a single bag, separate from the regular corp tokens (each in a bag with its certs). That way, players don't take extra tokens when they launch their corps.

If you do this, then the odds you ever need this particular token is very low. You need a single corporation to buy all three of the C&W, Big 4, and Michigan Southern and it must be either the PRR or C&O.

In fact, the odds that *any RR* buys all of three of these Private Companies ever occurs (I've never seen it happen) is so low that the DTG version doesn't provide for it. It provides enough 2-sided tokens to handle the case where a Corp. buys any *two* of these three Privates and the DTG rules says to make up an extra token for this corner case. Since we had extra token space on the sheet, we instead decided to provide for it.

If the asymmetry among these replacement tokens really bugs you, then simply throw this token and one each of the other 5 corporation tokens away. If so, you'll match the functionality of the DTG version.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe J. Rushanan
United States
Bedford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Board Gamers Never Are
mbmbmbmbmb
Tom Lehmann wrote:

In fact, the odds that *any RR* buys all of three of these Private Companies ever occurs (I've never seen it happen) is so low that the DTG version doesn't provide for it.

Yeah, Eric and were talking about this, and we also can't remember ever seeing all three in a single corporation (and that is after 200+ games between us).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Lutz
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
alfonzo54 wrote:
pilotbob wrote:
alfonzo54 wrote:

So you made me do it? Actually, I searched the PDF.

I sure did! I didn't even know the pdf was up since it's not on GMT's site and I didn't think to check the file section. Thanks for tipping me off.

didn't someone say Earnings was misspelled on the board?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Montgomery
United States
Joliet
Illinois
flag msg tools
Dear Geek: Please insert the wittiest comment you can think of in this text pop-up. Then times it by seven.
badge
The Coat of Arms of Clan Montgomery - Scotland. Yes, that's a woman with the head of a savage in her hand, and an anchor. No clue what it means, but it's cool.
mbmbmbmbmb
That's right Tom. When I read the rules, I was like, "Wow, they provided enough tokens to cover every potential eventuality! Cool!" If the C&O or PRR needs that token, then the other one won't. So every silly little possibility is covered. Great!

Surprised that someone was disappointed in this. It would have to be less than 1% of games where a corp can acquire all three privates -- and probably in a lop-sided sharks v. newbs game, I would think.

I have to say that I am. Blown. A. Way. By the production of this 18xx game. It's a very new-player-friendly layout/graphics/design space while still being functional, and I like that. It's a hard note to hit, but I think GMT did so with aplomb. Can't wait to try this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jim b
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
As I said it's just a nit. (I organized all the tokens by company.)

I mostly meant this as an underhanded compliment - if this is all I can find to complain about, then I must be pretty happy with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darin Stephenson
United States
Holland
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
I do not run and hide... I strategically maneuver.
mbmbmbmbmb
Tom Lehmann wrote:

If the asymmetry among these spare tokens really bugs you, then simply throw this token and one each of the other 5 corporation tokens away. If so, you'll match the functionality of the DTG version.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Arlington
United States
Spanish Fort
AL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Every other game I am going to swap which bag I store the double sided token in. One game in PRR bag, next game in the other bag. Just to screw with everyone's head.

Dave

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.