Unconditional Surrender! World War 2 in Europe» Forums » General

Subject: Newbie question, Armour breakthrough? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alex Leung
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
How do you mimic the armour breakthrough action in old games like Third Reich (AH) to surround a large number of enemy units and do some serious supply cutting? Has USE any similar mechanism to let you do that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Whittemore
United States
Coronado
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is no special mechanism. In USE you activate units one at a time. So you would activate an armor unit and try to break through the enemy line. Units can keep attacking and moving as long as they have movement points, unless setting up for an assault. If you do punch a hole, and have movement remaining, you try to widen the gap or go through it. Then you activate your other armor units in turn, doing the same, either going through the gap, or forming new ones if going for a double envelopment. Your infantry then follow to go through the gap or just to move up against the enemy line. The enemy will ideally be cut off from supply during their next supply check. On your next turn, you finish off the pocket with your bonuses for the enemy being out of supply. You would use armor for the breakthroughs - usually - because armor can move farther and receives combat bonuses.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Leung
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thank you for the clear explanation, Mike.

So, I can imagine that although the armour has 10 movement points, if the punching gap is not wide enough, the defender ZOC will hinder the movement of the attack units and prevent it to get around the defender's back.

I suppose there is no 'special ability' (like the Surprise Attack kind of marker) to allow the armour any extra movement. So it will be difficult to pull off a move like 'breakthrough' to encircle the defenders.

Seems like I will need to adjust my thinking process when planning for attack sequence and the use of armour. Very exciting indeed!laugh Can't wait for the reprint of the game to arrive! cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Whittemore
United States
Coronado
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In terms of ZOCs, a victorious attacker can advance into the defender's vacated hex. If the defender retreats, and the attacker advances into a ZOC, the attacker must stop or continue attacking. So they could push on through if they still have movement points available. Additionally, if the defender is eliminated, ZOCs can be ignored in their vacated hex, allowing further movement without an attack requirement. Where it would bog down is the attacker running out of movement and they end up blocking other attacking units.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timo Kellomäki
Finland
Tampere
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like to add that for me it's not as much cutting supply that represents this in USE. It's more the fact that DR (defender retreats) results are easy to get, and with a tank having punched through the lines and causing ZOC there, the otherwise harmless DRs from infantry attacks easily convert to losses for the defender (and sometimes this helps you get the +2 isolation bonus, too).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.