30 Rails» Forums » General

Subject: Compact Dry-wipe Multi-player Version rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andy O
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I took a few gamesheets on a recent holiday thinking this would be a good game to play on the flight. I really enjoyed it as a solo experience but my kids also enjoyed playing multiplayer (when playing with the children we rule that they can ignore the white die and place the rails wherever they want).

Given how well it went down I thought I'd have a go at putting together a more permanent version with dry-wipe player boards and scoring sheets. I wanted each board to be A6-sized so that meant I had to redraw them to make them fit. I also redid the manual to get it to fit the new format.

Here's the result - a nice compact box which will support up to four players. Thanks to Julian for sharing his design for this great little game.

Player boards, scoring sheets and manual sit at the top of the box:

With space below for dice and dry-wipe markers:

The same scoring sheet is used for both the Basic and Advanced games:

My first game with the new boards. Not a bad score but definitely room for improvement
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcin Kaganek
Poland
Kraków
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Whoa, impressive work !!

Are player boards laminated (they look very "cardboardy" and there is no glare in photos) ?
Are you planning, by any chance, to upload your design to BGG ? ;-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy O
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks.

I printed the design of the boards onto regular printer paper and then wrapped it around a 2mm thick piece of greyboard to give them some stiffness. I then covered the boards in clear adhesive-backed plastic film to make them dry-wipe. Finally I added some plain, black paper to the reverse to neaten everything up.

Quote:
they look very "cardboardy" and there is no glare in photos

It's not too clear from the photos but I used a sort of parchment / old paper texture as the background for the graphics. And I spent a while trying to avoid glare in the photographs - in reality they're quite shiny

Here's a more detailed view of the front and back of the boards. I'm happy to upload a PDF of the boards and manual but would like to check with the designer first that he's happy for me to put this minor re-skin out there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcin Kaganek
Poland
Kraków
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I see, thank you for answering, and again - excellent work (and great photos ;-) ).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy O
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
For those interested, a .zip file containing the PDFs and some basic instructions needed to build the boards and manual can be found here: A6 Sized Player Boards and Manual

Enjoy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Hayward
United States
Sioux Falls
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
How much for a copy?

No, seriously. How much?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy O
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'm flattered to be asked but I'm afraid I'm not intersted in making any copies for sale.

If you're looking for someone to put a copy together for you then you could try Print & Play Productions.

I don't know anything about them other than what's shown on their BGG pages so this isn't a recommendation or endorsement. But they do offer one-off game production so you could ask them for a quote based on the PDFs I put in the files section.

Cheers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald Collins
United States
Arnold
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just saw this, and it's very nice. My only change would be to use wet erase markers. My experience with dry erase are they are way to easy to smudge. I can't tell you how many times I've run my hand over something without meaning to.

I'll probably laminate the boards. I go to a teacher's supply house which charges by the linear foot, instead of per piece like Kinko's would.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.