The Resistance: Avalon» Forums » Variants

Subject: New Role: Uther (who knows Mordred) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Thomas Simon
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The problem with Avalon sometimes is that if the player who is playing Mordred is very good and there is no way for Merlin to figure out who he is the good guys will mostly loose.

To counter this I thought about a new character called Uther (replaces a generic good guy)

1. He is unknown to the bad guys.
2. He is known by Merlin (opens his hand when Merlin opens his eyes)
3. He knows who Mordred is.
4. He has to play fail on mission 1 and 2
5. He has to play success on mission 3,4,5.
6. He can get assassinated in the end AS Uther.

So in the beginning Uther resents magic and Merlin so he must play fail.
But after 2 missions he comes around and becomes a true good guy and must play success from then on.

I think this variant should not be played-tested with Lancelots and would be best with 7 (3 bad, 4 good) or 9 (4 bad, 5 good).

What do you guys think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Matt
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
hmmmmm
This is a nice thoughts!

Will try it!

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mfl134
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
My words literally betray me.
mbmbmbmbmb
stamas47 wrote:
The problem with Avalon sometimes is that if the player who is playing Mordred is very good and there is no way for Merlin to figure out who he is the good guys will mostly loose.

To counter this I thought about a new character called Uther (replaces a generic good guy)

1. He is unknown to the bad guys.
2. He is known by Merlin (opens his hand when Merlin opens his eyes)
3. He knows who Mordred is.
4. He has to play fail on mission 1 and 2
5. He has to play success on mission 3,4,5.
6. He can get assassinated in the end AS Uther.

So in the beginning Uther resents magic and Merlin so he must play fail.
But after 2 missions he comes around and becomes a true good guy and must play success from then on.

I think this variant should not be played-tested with Lancelots and would be best with 7 (3 bad, 4 good) or 9 (4 bad, 5 good).

What do you guys think?

So, first question, are their 2 assassinations, one to try to get merlin, and one to try to get uther? or is it one assassination, if either merlin or uther are hit, good loses? or is it one assassination, the spies can choose to go after uther or merlin. (must choose who they are aiming for)

Now some commentary:

Adding another claimable good isn't that big a deal as an all claim get really hurt due to assassinations.

Mordred should be hidden. you need to find mordred through old fashion spy hunting. Adding uther would make mordred a much less interesting character. I'd just remove mordred before adding uther.

I'm sure the concept that you have a good player who doesn't want to go on the team can be interesting, and it allows bluffing uther by proposing teams that don't include yourself, which will definitely be pro spy. I feel this will make it really hard to get clean teams in the beginning without giving away too much information. Also, spies will be encouraged even more to fail up front as they have the option to pin it on uther.

overall, i'd expect this would make the game much harder on the rebels, which I think is the opposite affect you are going for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mfl134 wrote:
overall, i'd expect this would make the game much harder on the rebels, which I think is the opposite affect you are going for.

Yes, I completely agree with this analysis. It might be an interesting role, but probably helps the spies.

I don't know if it would still favour the spies if Uther couldn't be assassinated and so could claim (obviously making a Merlin assassination more likely by doing so).

Thomas - If you have tried Uther (or anyone else does) then I'd be interested to hear how it worked.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mfl134
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
My words literally betray me.
mbmbmbmbmb
zabdiel wrote:
mfl134 wrote:

Yes, I completely agree with this analysis. It might be an interesting role, but probably helps the spies.

I don't know if it would still favour the spies if Uther couldn't be assassinated and so could claim (obviously making a Merlin assassination more likely by doing so).

Thomas - If you have tried Uther (or anyone else does) then I'd be interested to hear how it worked.

I think it is fairly pro-rebel, but leads to scripted play if you don't have an uther assassination. Uther should claim and point out mordred to start. uther doesn't want to be on early missions. anyone claiming uther doesn't go on missions, so spies can't really counter it.

it might be interesting for 1 or 2 games, but it will get very same-y quickly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Simon
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Yes the bad guys at the end would have to say who they are assassinating (Merlin or Uther).

You might be right, it would favor the bad guys. But how about in a game of 8 with: 3 bad + 5 goods ( 1 of them Uther ).

Or I had a new idea for Uther:

1. Uther is a bad guy who knows all other bad guys.
2. Should Merlin know who Uther is in this case?
3. Uther must play success on all missions.
4. He only wins if the bad guys win.

Thoughts about this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.