Popular Tags: [View All]
Simon Paulton
United Kingdom
St. Andrews
Fife
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey,

Played a game the other day with my dad (regular opponent) and I managed to fully complete my board which impressed me and enraged him as he figured he'd lost.

Quick count up of the buttons and subtract points and he won 30 - 27. No harm, no foul - he won end of story.

That said we both feel it's a little odd thematically to complete your board and not win - what are your thoughts on this? Should there be an extra bonus/automatic win for someone that manages this?

For the record we've had this game 6 months and play it at least 2 times a day and we've only ever had 3 full boards so this is a very rare occurrence!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Wise
United States
Tupelo
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow! Your feat was bittersweet. I've yet to get a full board myself so congratulations on that; my condolences for your loss. laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence
United States
Tustin
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't find it very odd - there are a lot of other factors that come into play such as leftover buttons. Managing button income in the past few turns has been pretty crucial for us - sometimes it's actually more beneficial not to buy that one last tile.

Taking the 7x7 bonus in mind, you could houserule a variant where the first player to get a full quilt gets +9. I don't think that would break the game in any way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ha, that is certainly a game to remember!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rita Chen
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I consider you the victor, in spirit. I have indeed noticed this about Patchwork, though. Often the player with the worse-looking quilt (odd spacing, more unfilled spaces, etc.) will come on on top in points. It makes perfect sense according the rules' two axes (buttons & time), but I agree, it's odd thematically.

mavericklancer wrote:
Taking the 7x7 bonus in mind, you could houserule a variant where the first player to get a full quilt gets +9. I don't think that would break the game in any way.

Love this idea. I also think that house ruling filled quilt = insta-win might be fun, especially given how rare it is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
james napoli
United States
Westwood
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yea, i've seen a few of these style edge cases, someone clearly filling their board and the other player winning, one person getting a majority of the point pieces and losing...
it's a cute game but i dont know that it will have the staying power b/c of those issues that leave you feeling a bit cheated

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Paulton
United Kingdom
St. Andrews
Fife
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The funny thing is the final tile I bought (Z shape, 7 buttons, 6 time) went right in the middle of my board using all of my money, completing my 7x7 and moving me to the end zone so it was all a huge fluke!

The +9 seems like a fair idea as does the instant win. I'll think about it and see what my dad thinks too. We both think I was the winner in spirit though.

Certainly a game I won't forget for a long time!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
Great Falls
Virginia
flag msg tools
That's tough! Gotta watch the button count of your opponent and make sure they aren't getting it so high to the point where their empty spaces don't matter. I've lost to my wife like this (though never with a completely full board.)

I've played over 60 times in real life and never seen a full board. Played about 10 times on the app and I've had a full board once. It's certainly not common enough to add a rule/scoring.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Nolin
Japan
Nakamachi, Hiroshima
Hiroshima-ken
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just now got another full board on the app and won by only 2 points (since my opponent had button income of 19 to my 10). Getting a full board is not 'that' unusual, but it does require some lucky piece availability near the end. Also, it isn't the goal of the game! Having a better score than your opponent is the goal, so I wouldn't want to steal a win just because I got lucky.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Letsplay Another
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
longagoigo wrote:
I just now got another full board on the app and won by only 2 points (since my opponent had button income of 19 to my 10). Getting a full board is not 'that' unusual, but it does require some lucky piece availability near the end. Also, it isn't the goal of the game! Having a better score than your opponent is the goal, so I wouldn't want to steal a win just because I got lucky.

Yes, I agree. I've never had a full board but it's not uncommon to lose to someone even though you have far fewer empty spots left at the end, if your opponent had much better income than you. Usually at about the halfway point of the game you have a good idea of who is going to win if someone is off to a much better income start. That is why getting good income going early on is crucial. In my best games that happens, in my worst games it doesn't.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.