Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Wellman
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm new to 18XX (5 games in). I picked up a dusty copy 1860 I recently found in a Toronto games store.

I haven't gotten it played yet, but am wondering how important would it be to grab the 1860 expansion while it's available?

I'm thinking of folks similar to Clearclaw who count 1860 among the best 18XX: is the expansion a factor in your (high) rating of 1860?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler McLaughlin
Canada
Medicine Hat
Alberta
flag msg tools
Talk
badge
Words
mbmbmbmbmb
I bet JC hasn't even played with it yet.

It's by no means essential for play, but it adds good variety to the game once you've played it 50 or 60 times. If you can get a copy before they become harder to find, you may want to secure it for the future, but honestly you have plenty of game there without it.

Edit for phone typing..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Denison
United States
Ames
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It has already become super hard to find . I would say it is not critical to the experience though. I have only played it a couple times but it is really fun without it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Logan
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
My words literally betray me.
mbmbmbmbmb
eva01iastate wrote:
It has already become super hard to find . I would say it is not critical to the experience though. I have only played it a couple times but it is really fun without it.

is it hard to find? I just got mine not too long ago through direct order by GMing Mike Hutton.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
blu_in_green wrote:
I haven't gotten it played yet, but am wondering how important would it be to grab the 1860 expansion while it's available?

Unimportant. It adds noise and randomness to an otherwise fairly clean system that doesn't actually accomplish anything architectural or structurally interesting (kof: Hutton's rules aren't particularly clean even among 18xx).

Quote:
I'm thinking of folks similar to Clearclaw who count 1860 among the best 18XX: is the expansion a factor in your (high) rating of 1860?

I have 2 or 3 copies of the expansion somewhere, maybe 4, possibly 5, I don't know...some few. (IIRC I bought extras for friends who never collected). I might play one more game using the expansion, mostly in order to show the game+variant to yet another friend, but outside of that it is very unlikely I'll ever bother with it again.

And no, I don't know exactly where my copies are, am not interested in selling them and am not going to dig them out. If you are really that interested, then come join us for a few games and ingratiate yourself enough to go, "Hey, it looks like that copy of 1860 has the expansion in it...see, this bag and that bag...mind if I take the expansion? And if it is truly zero effort on my part, I might say "Sure..."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Begy
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
http://www.jasonbegy.com
badge
http://www.jasonbegy.com
mbmbmbmbmb
18xx expansions != euro expansions

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Mesa
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
blu_in_green wrote:
I picked up a dusty copy 1860 I recently found in a Toronto games store.

So very, very envious.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jim b
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
As another viewpoint: I dont like the random/'flavorful' 2s either, but the permanent trains in the expansion are an improvement- much easier to use in the endgame.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Koppang
United States
Westmont
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"It's a magical world, Hobbes, ol' buddy..."
badge
"For the listener, who listens in the snow, and, nothing himself, beholds nothing that is not there and the nothing that is." -- Wallace Stevens
mbmbmbmbmb
Andy Mesa wrote:
blu_in_green wrote:
I picked up a dusty copy 1860 I recently found in a Toronto games store.

So very, very envious.

Seconded. I keep searching for a copy, and I keep coming up empty.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Draper
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You can add it to your wishlist on Noble Knight Games, here: http://www.nobleknight.com/productdetailsearch.asp_Q_Product...

I put it on my wishlist a few months ago, was notified of an available copy yesterday, and it was shipped out this morning.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Koppang
United States
Westmont
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"It's a magical world, Hobbes, ol' buddy..."
badge
"For the listener, who listens in the snow, and, nothing himself, beholds nothing that is not there and the nothing that is." -- Wallace Stevens
mbmbmbmbmb
BennyD wrote:
You can add it to your wishlist on Noble Knight Games, here: http://www.nobleknight.com/productdetailsearch.asp_Q_Product...

I put it on my wishlist a few months ago, was notified of an available copy yesterday, and it was shipped out this morning.

Done! Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Wellman
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I noticed the Noble Knight link was for the first printing. If you care about the updates on the second round of prints you'll want to set up the notifications accordingly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
8-bit Matt
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I took me a couple of months to track down a copy of the 2nd edition. Found someone with it For Trade that was willing to outright sell it.

Good luck!

Edit: I see a copy of 2nd Ed is up on the Market... and go!
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/geekmarket/product/1040462

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
marc magner
United States
webster
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Base game is fine on its own. Expansion doesn't add any real value, other then it got us to pull out 1860 for the first time in a couple years and to remember how good it is.

So if you can get a copy of 60 great, but the expansion should impact this one way or the other.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.