Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
james napoli
United States
Westwood
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A few of the expansions are on sale(i have the original version), and i'm thinking of buying one/two of them and would love some feedback from the community on which ones they would recommend.
thanks in advance

I also typically only play with 2 players if that matters...

This is relevant around Nov2nd 2016
http://asmadigames.com/buy-games.php

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atnier Rodriguez
United States
Monroe
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
darlok wrote:
A few of the expansions are on sale(i have the original version), and i'm thinking of buying one/two of them and would love some feedback from the community on which ones they would recommend.
thanks in advance

I also typically only play with 2 players if that matters...

This is relevant around Nov2nd 2016
http://asmadigames.com/buy-games.php

My girlfriend loves playing with Base + Echoes, but adding Figures on top of that is far too much for her.

I do like Figures, but I do recognize that it adds more fiddliness in the card-counting and a catch-up mechanism that takes a bit to get used to.

So, I would recommend to get base and echoes. Play base first without echoes until you both like the game and get familiar with it, then add echoes for more variation and craziness.

Always remember that the first game or two might feel chaotic, but there's a method to the madness. The better player will usually come on top, unless they goof around and let ages 9 and 10 to pass, and then all bets are off.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Brendel
United States
Dunwoody
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I honestly recommend no expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Echoes is great for some more variety and a tad more chaos. If you enjoy the base game, but feel the base cards are getting a little samey, then Echoes is just what you need.

I also love Figures, but it is not everyone's cup of tea. It dials the chaos factor up a lot and there are some very powerful cards in there. It also doesn't work as well without Echoes, so I wouldn't recommend Figures on its own.

Having said all that, one of the reasons you're beginning to find the expansion cheaper is that two more expansions will be released very soon with the new card art of third edition when Innovation Deluxe is complete.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Draper
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Squidd wrote:

Likewise. I like the expansions for their interesting twists, but I ultimately always come back to the base game for sustained play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Schindler
United States
Lombard
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I prefer base Innovation, no expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wood
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Base+Echoes.

The extra cards will give you the extra fun you'll want, and you can keep to the base game with new players.

And remember, it only seems too chaotic, your job is to manage it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
james napoli
United States
Westwood
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, thanks for the feedback. we do enjoy the base game and while i typically am not a huge fan of expansion i thought i had heard good things about those for innovation. i'll presume to hold off.

-
James

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ackmondual
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Squidd wrote:
Ditto. Only use case is if you manage to play 50+ to 120+ games, then perhaps an expansion or more could stand to be added into the mix.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atnier Rodriguez
United States
Monroe
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
Squidd wrote:
Ditto. Only use case is if you manage to play 50+ to 120+ games, then perhaps an expansion or more could stand to be added into the mix.

This pains me because I enjoy the game more with Echoes added in that without.

I would prefer saying:

Give it a try if you want to, it's not an expensive addition and it may improve the game, keep it the same, or make it more chaotic. It frankly depends on the player, but at the end of the day the base game is fine as it is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb Effinger
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
okami31 wrote:
ackmondual wrote:
Squidd wrote:

This pains me because I enjoy the game more with Echoes added in that without.

I would prefer saying:

Give it a try if you want to, it's not an expensive addition and it may improve the game, keep it the same, or make it more chaotic. It frankly depends on the player, but at the end of the day the base game is fine as it is.

I also really like Echoes. I think base by itself is a bit too static - I feel like I've seen a lot of the scenarios already that come up with base. Also, with just base every once and a while you'll get one player just blowing the other out - an early metalworking into Monument-1-2, and then mathematics for coal into 3-4-5, and your opponent draws dead. Or Clothing, and your opponent is trying to draw a third color, but just can't. I haven't seen this much with Echoes (there is one card... Water Wheel? Almanac?.. it's been a while, I forget the name... that is too strong, but it's also getting tweaked with the Deluxe version). Echoes (with the errata'd setup) just adds a lot of depth.

I'm not a fan of Figures - the power-level on the Figures varies wildly, and it felt like there was a lot of ambiguity in interactions - but I also haven't played with it that much.

But that said, ya, if you haven't played the base game 50+ times, then there's probably still more you can get out of it, and adding an expansion may hurt your impression of the game, since it will feel more random.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
flag msg tools
Nothing happens for a reason, but everything happens by a mechanism
badge
Nitrogen Conservation Awareness: I pee in the yard
mbmbmbmbmb
Another vote for base plus Echoes.

The rules overhead by adding the first expansion is minimal, and it amps up the likelihood of crazy chaining of actions, which, let's all admit it, is the reason to play a Chudyk game.

Figures is neat, but requires a much larger investment to use, and overall I can take it or leave it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Cieslik
United States
Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Banana!
mbmbmbmbmb
I think a lot of folks will like Base + Cities once it's out -- it's the simplest of the 4 expansions. We kind of wish we'd released it first!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atnier Rodriguez
United States
Monroe
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you do decide to go for an expansion, do check on what Clipper said above:

Quote:
Having said all that, one of the reasons you're beginning to find the expansion cheaper is that two more expansions will be released very soon with the new card art of third edition when Innovation Deluxe is complete.

If the release of the newly balanced and spruced up editions of the expansions is imminent, you may want to wait for them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Cieslik
United States
Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Banana!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep -- we've dropped the price significantly on the 1st edition expansions, we're hoping to have the new ones out early next year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Moller
United States
Lincoln
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Base + Echoes and/or Cities is my strong recommendation (Cities being unavailable for now).

either expansion actually tends to make the game play faster in my experience, but also increases the fun and interesting possibilities by quite a lot.

Base alone is certainly a fine experience. But, if you play the heck out of it (like, 100+ times), it can be a little same-y, especially after you've gotten the taste for an expansion or two.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Lim
Philippines
Iloilo
Oton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Squidd wrote:

ditto

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Runcible Spoon
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another vote for Base + Echoes

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jose Cunha
Norway
Lysaker
flag msg tools
mbmb
angelkurisu wrote:
I think a lot of folks will like Base + Cities once it's out -- it's the simplest of the 4 expansions. We kind of wish we'd released it first!

I was considering to get as first expansion whichever adds less mechanics do the base game. Cities seems the one, but on the other hand, i also want more dogmas, which Cities does note have.

Could just get the whole box, of course, but i think i would rather flavour each expansion with time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.