Marco Fuini
New Zealand
Porirua
Wellington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems like some BGG members have some very large board game collections. As much as I would like to have my own store sized game collection, it seems almost.. gulp... a waste. I realise there is some pleasure and pride gained from amassing such a prized hoard, but surely most of those games never see the outside of the box.

Anyway, I started to wonder exactly what is the average game collection size and if large collections were found mainly in the US and Europe. Are these total stats available on BGG without having to count each users collection? Also how many BGG users are there? Forgive me if I can find this info on the site somewhere, if it is available please let me know where.

Edit: Seeing as the answers to the above questions were provided in the link kindly provided below. It leaves me with one final question: where do you store those games? When it comes to my house, the kids and wife seem to have claimed every part. Even if I had a room all to myself I can just imagine the response I would get if I said I was going to fill it with boardgames!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lajos
Japan
Hachiouji
Tokyo
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Re: The numbers game
This is the most recent data I'm aware of: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/797752#797752

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Fuini
New Zealand
Porirua
Wellington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: The numbers game
Thanks, that answers many of my questions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
1024x768 works just fine - Don't Wide the Site!
badge
Missing old BGG
mbmbmbmbmb
You're right. It is a waste. I probably have about 1000 games and most of them truly won't ever see the outside of the box. It's collector mentality, pure and simple.

As to storage, we have a junk room (converted carport that isn't heated, but it's 20x22). It used to be a "game room" for playing and storing games, but it's become just a junk room over time, but still holds all the games.

Ideally, we'd have only 100 games (or fewer--maybe 60 is a good number). The problem is that the kids are so young. If they were older, I could probably decide which games neither will ever be interested in and put them up on eBay (e.g. will one of them appreciate Mystic Wood or Screamin' Eagles?). But until that time, I'm holding them.

I do look forward to that big day, though, when I offload some 800-900 games in one fell swoop. It should accomplish many things, like

1. free up space
2. bring in some cash
3. make other folk happy (getting a game they truly want)
4. did I mention freeing up space?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Benjamin
United States
Los Alamos
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
60% are ziplock (mostly magazine) wargames. But overall games do take up quite a bit of space.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls