Kai Scheuer
Germany
Eppelsheim
Rheinland Pfalz
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Myladies, Gentlemen,

Welcome to the 24 hour contest November 2016.
The basic rules-/discussion-/subscription thread can be found here.

We still have got supporters!
Standing ovations for

Nancy Hutchins
United States
Harvard
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

who offered stunning a price of 200 for September, October, November AND December EACH!

Also,

Nizo
msg tools
mbmb

who offered to tip 20 for the winner of a month's contest as long as there are at least 3 submissions per month.

Also,

Jeremy Peet
United States
Milford
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
I make stuff. Visit jpeetdesigns.com
mbmbmbmbmb

as well as

United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

each offered a donation of 120 for the year 2016.
That is 10 price money from each of them per month - unconditionally!

Last but not least, we've got a microbadge you can buy, if you want to show the world, that you participated in the 24 hour contest:

24 Hour Contest participant

Thanks to

'Arctica' Gary
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

for creating the badge!

The radio is a good source of inspiration. Currently, lots of 80's music is playing and I could provide you with countless requirements: Love (is a) Shield, Hot Chocolate, Spaceship, The Sun (always shines on) TV, etc ..

However, I'll keep it simple!

This month's requirement will be:

Music

Remember: The requirement is just a requirement - not necessarily a theme! It's up to you, how you involve it in your game!

Happy designing and kind regards,
Kai

p.s.:

In the behaviour rules (see link to basic rules thread above) I've written:
Quote:
Please create a second posting in that thread to present your creation.

Please do present your game along with a short description in a posting. The reason I ask you to do this is simple: Creating geeklist entries becomes easier for me because from time to time copy-n-pasting from PDFs produces unexpected results (such as copying only odd symbols into the clipboard ..)
Thanks a lot
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
A perfect contest to fulfill NaGaDeMon (National Game Design Month)... if you are into that sort of thing. Me - I'm busy with NaNoWriMo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Odd Hackwelder
Taiwan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Very good topic.
I am doing a game about musical instruments for the 18 card contest.
I was in a vinyl club last night looking through their reggae collection.
Maybe I should make a reggae music game?
This might be the busiest month ever, but I will have something.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Rees
South Korea
Daegu
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess I have a chance to do that dueling banjos game I've always joked to myself about...hmmm...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carolyn Choate
United States
Laurel
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
I've never participated in a contest before. If I understand correctly, I present my idea here in this thread? Please correct me if I'm wrong!

At 5:36 tonight the idea came to me and I've been going over it in my head since then.

Idea is a card game about a marching band. You draft cards but instead of playing them in front of you, you play then onto a shared "parade" formation. You get points for rows and columns of types of musicians plus a bonus for filling a section. Also everyone has their own secret objective, such as have the most flute players. There's one drum major and whoever places that card gets to double one of their set bonuses?

UPDATE 8:33 PM
Trying to do the math on how many cards are needed. I'm thinking four sections of three by four plus the drum major, which equals 49 cards. I need to get it to a more even number so I think that means adding a dud card that can't be used.

That would allow for four players to have five cards per round and get to place ten times, and you'd need to place that much to start building points.

I think for fewer players I would remove a section or for more players add a section.

Unfortunately my game group meets tomorrow at 7:00 so I won't have much chance for play testing this! Hopefully I can playtest it by myself.

I'm working a bit on the artwork. I found clipart done by Sarah Pecorino that will be perfect. I'll try to get in touch with her about using it but I think 24 hours is a tough turn around. http://www.sarahpecorino.com/search/label/free%20printable

Teaser of artwork:
musician cards three[url=https://flic.kr/p/N7oxHK]

UPDATE 10:44 AM
Playtesting with some thrift store playing cards. I think this is actually working! It's pretty thrilling to know that I came up with the concept, theme, and mechanics last night and within 24 hours I've got a playable game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to the 24 hour contest! They are delightfully addicting.

These contests are not just about the idea!

It is about creating a fully working game in 24 consecutive hours.

So you need:
• Rules document
• Components to play the game

The components don't have to be polished, they just have to work, and the rules don't have to be formatted beautifully.

It's a bit of a race!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carolyn Choate
United States
Laurel
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Awesome! I'm well on my way. I guess I'll keep editing and updating my post as I get new elements.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
cm006j wrote:
Awesome! I'm well on my way. I guess I'll keep editing and updating my post as I get new elements.

This often trips up people new to the contest, but Kai would prefer you create a second post just before your time is up that has your completed game and everything you want to go into the contest geeklist (which he creates at the end of the month.)

So please make a second post so your game counts!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Scheuer
Germany
Eppelsheim
Rheinland Pfalz
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for explaining, Caroline, and welcome to the show, Carolyn

Also: Good job finding Sarah Pecorino's free printables - those are awesome!

Kind regards,
Kai
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carolyn Choate
United States
Laurel
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Ah, thank you! Okay I will keep working and I'll do another post when it's ready.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Odd Hackwelder
Taiwan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
adularia25 wrote:
Welcome to the 24 hour contest! They are delightfully addicting.

I have no idea what you're talking about!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carolyn Choate
United States
Laurel
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Final Game Submission: Band Parade
Started 11/9/16 at 5:36 pm and finished 11/10/16 at 1:30 pm= 20 hours! Woot!
https://flic.kr/p/NWUcVD

Complete game (including rules): https://www.dropbox.com/s/p2u1cu7i300nyn1/Band%20Parade%20Co...
Just rules: https://www.dropbox.com/s/o1mfcv1w0vzs530/Band%20Parade.pdf?...
Rules written out here:
Band Parade
By Carolyn Choate, art modified from Sarah Pecorino
A card drafting game of putting together a marching band parade. All players will place cards onto a central parade board and score points for rows and columns of musicians.
Components (for a four player game):
• One drum major card
• Three blank cards
• 12 Drum cards
• 12 Trumpet cards
• 12 Trombone cards
• 12 Color Guard cards
• 12 Flute cards
[All of the above are “musician cards”]
• 6 Objective cards (only four of them used per game)
• Parade mat of five sections
• Tokens (or card sleeves, or paper clips) in all four player colors (16 tokens for each color)
• A start player token
Lay the parade mat in the center of all players (Put sections in any order except the mat with the drum major space is always first). Give each player an objective card face up (stays in front of you).
Deal four musician cards to each player. Each player selects a card. The start player reveals and places their musician first and adds a token of their color on the card. After each player has placed their cards, the hands move one to the left and the start player token also moves one to the left. Continue until all four cards are played.
Repeat this process moving right instead. Continue this way alternating left and right until all musician cards are placed. One person will get to pick the single Drum Major card. This card will provide a bonus by doubling the score of one set at the end of the game. The blank cards can be played to change the token color of one played card (to put your color on someone else’s card and remove their token)
Scoring:
• A complete column of three is 3 points
• A complete row of four is 4 points
• Completion of the objective gains 2 points

I would really appreciate some play testing! Please let me know if you try it out. Here are some particular questions that I'm working on:

-Is it too long/too many rounds?

-Should the objective cards be secret? (originally I had them that way but then it seemed like having them be public knowledge gives another layer to strategy)

-Does the mechanic of the blank cards work?

-Should the blank cards let you add a token but keep the original one there too and have two tokens on that card, scoring for two people?

-Is the "diverse" objective balanced/work?

-Are the scoring bonuses balanced enough? (From playtesting with just myself it seems like it is)

-Is it fun?!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Just one last bit to point out from the 24 hour contest rules - Kai prefers just one image in the second post... you can certainly put all the teaser artwork in your first post though!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carolyn Choate
United States
Laurel
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Thank you! I keep missing things! I just realized that I haven't done a logo or card backs so I should do that for the image in the final post.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carolyn Choate
United States
Laurel
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Got to playtest this with friends last night. They definitely gave me some ideas for modifications but it was pretty fun. Kind of feels like tic-tac-toe, which was unintentional!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
guy
Wallis and Futuna
Grand Bois Du Nord
msg tools
mb
I'm in on the November 24-hour contest. I have an idea for a simple card game where you have to get rid of your 'note' cards by discarding them onto a 'staff' board. Some simple constraints, a pile of cards, and, if there's time, even a designed box for the cards.

I'm starting now.

Update. Here's a sample of some of the card fronts:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
guy
Wallis and Futuna
Grand Bois Du Nord
msg tools
mb
Done! Took less than 14 hours. Came up with the complete rule set, made the rule document, designed the cards and created all 54 cards, designed and created the board, then made the pdf files and uploaded them to my site. Whew!

I was going to make a wrapper for a box for the cards, but I have to work tomorrow, so it's bedtime.

Behold! A complete, professionally-designed card game in under 14 hours:

metronome
by professorguy

Components:
54 card deck
Staff board
Rules

For 2-6 players

Each player is dealt 7 cards. Each turn, you can play one of your cards on the staff board if possible. The first to play all his cards wins.

To play a card, you must add to a measure of music. There is a bonus for completing a measure.

The component file has 6 pages (9-up) of card backs, 6 pages (9-up) of card fronts, the last page is a board that must be cut apart and rearranged.

The rules file fits on one page, has an illustrated layout diagram, and has illustrated details for playing various cards.

Enjoy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
guy
Wallis and Futuna
Grand Bois Du Nord
msg tools
mb
I came up with a less generic card back design, but I won't make any changes to the submitted design until the contest is over (as per rules). But check it out, it's metronomes which can be viewed either side up:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MamaGames
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It looks great - I'd love to play this with my musical family. Now I'm torn between printing it today in black & white or resisting the urge and waiting until I have some colored inks again.

Any suggestions for making print & plays relatively inexpensively (but still nicely playable - unlike our makeshift b&w ink on regular paper method)? Online places that will make the decks for you, or is it worth getting things printed on cardstock at a copy shop?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
guy
Wallis and Futuna
Grand Bois Du Nord
msg tools
mb
pisecobabe wrote:
Now I'm torn between printing it today in black & white or resisting the urge and waiting until I have some colored inks again.

If anyone wants to try this out, but doesn't want to use the very colorful (and expensive-to-print) deck design, please try out this version:

Contest version:metronome LOW-INK version

Updated! v.2 (not contest eligible):
metronome v.2: LOW-INK version

This version uses 3 patterns (solid, stripes, dots) instead of 3 colors and a very light greyscale. No card backs either. It is very miserly with the ink.

Enjoy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
guy
Wallis and Futuna
Grand Bois Du Nord
msg tools
mb
Play testing has revealed some weakness with metronome when played with only a few people. Seems like you can play entire rounds without ever being forced to draw a card.

I will make no changes to the submitted design above, but I would like to follow up and make this game as good as I can.

Update: Although not eligible for this contest, the newest version is improved (and can be played with 2-11 people):

metronome v.2: New cards.

metronome v.2: New rules & board.

metronome v.2: New cards (LOW-INK)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Odd Hackwelder
Taiwan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I am starting
Last 24 hours again!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Odd Hackwelder
Taiwan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Instrumental

Rules
4-6 Players
15 minutes
Age 8 and up

Contents:
18 cards (15 instruments cards, 3 number cards 1-3)
1 rule sheet

Summary:
You are a conductor or you are a member of an orchestra.
You are trying to tell another member of the orchestra who is not playing up to par. You don't want anyone else to know.
If you can secretly tell your friend what instrument that person is playing you will win.

Setup:
Deal 3 instrument cards to each person.
The rest are out of play.
Choose a starting player.
The starting player will get the numbered cards.

Play:
The starting player will pass out the number cards face up to each player. This will determine who guesses in what order.
The conductor will choose one instrument from their hand and place it face down in the center of the table.
The conductor will have one minute to try to act out instruments and their sounds.
When the minute is up, the conductor will ask the player with the 1 card to take a guess which instrument is under the card.
Guessing will continue in order according the the cards.

After everyone guesses, if a guesser was the only player to guess correctly they earn the instrument as a score point.

If no one guesses the card is discarded out of the game.

* If someone decides to guess the same instrument as another player, it stops either guesser from winning that card and if it is correct the conductor gets the card. This could be a sacrifice move to stop someone from winning the game.

The player who wins the card becomes the conductor.

Scoring:
If Guesser 1 guesses the correct answer they get the instrument card.
That card counts as 1 point.
The first player to get 3 points wins.

5 - 6 players
Deal 2 cards to each player
The 4th or 5th guesser will guess clockwise according to the 3 card.
First person to get 2 cards wins.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Odd Hackwelder
Taiwan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I am so insanely busy these days, but I had to finish.
I didn't have time to do instrument art, I have but need more time.
This game will be a game.
Playing fake instruments in my kindergarten class is a big hit.
I want cards so they can learn the names via picture.
The game I made works but I had a ideas for a few variations that would also work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Scheuer
Germany
Eppelsheim
Rheinland Pfalz
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hackogames wrote:
I am starting
Last 24 hours again!

As usual

I'll try and follow up tomorrow

Thank you all for your contributions

Kind regards,
Kai
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.