Of Dreams & Shadows» Forums » General

Subject: Expansions - Talk about the future rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sebastian Beck
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So after playing it, I have to say that I really like the game. It is very rich according to its theme, the design is simple, but elegant and the story telling is - in comparison to all the event driven games out there - one of the best. It offers cool combos of items and character interaction and even harmful synergies between the cards and monsters that the game itself throws at you.

Thank you for this game.

So, what we all want to know: How are your plans for the future?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Alford
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
designer
Beckikaze wrote:
So after playing it, I have to say that I really like the game. It is very rich according to its theme, the design is simple, but elegant and the story telling is - in comparison to all the event driven games out there - one of the best. It offers cool combos of items and character interaction and even harmful synergies between the cards and monsters that the game itself throws at you.

Thank you for this game.

So, what we all want to know: How are your plans for the future?

Thanks! I really appreciate that people enjoy the game for what it is. Since you seem to have a strong understanding of the design I’d love for you to write a review. 

My immediate plans really involve making the game more available as it is currently only sold in Canada. I’m finalizing some deals in the coming weeks and will provide an update on this forum.

As for the game itself, I actually have the outline for three expansions and aim to release the first in 2017. Nothing is final, but this is the plan so far:

There will be experienced versions of each Champion, more Spells with a focus on control and more Combat Feats. I will also continue the storyline from the base game. Certain story choices made in the base game will carry over - I will be writing 2 versions of each follow-on story card.

The first expansion will take place in the aftermath of the base game and will go deeper into Nora’s back story, the Wilds and the Werefolk. Another would take place in the Realm of Dreams and focus on the Fae. The third would take place in the underworld realm of the Hollows.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Beck
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great news.

We are planning a German podcast Review about it. The first two Videos ("Die Nische" on YouTube) about your game were the Essen Spiel preview and a conclusion Video.

And now that we played several games of,it is time for the Review.

Nonetheless,Great to See that you have Plans for this game, even for 2017.

The campaign aspect Sounds interesting as well as the themed expansions. Do you Plan additional game boards or Do you want to focus on cards?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Alford
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
designer
The first game will likely focus more on cards (including more world scenarios). I'm undecided on whether to have a new board and it will really depend on the gameplay mechanics of the new Villain. The expansion into the Realm of Dreams will definitely have a new map/board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Beck
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Only use a new board/or a sideboard if it is essential gameplay-wise or for the theme. So f.e. introduce new mechanics (like the Innsmouth board for Arkham Horror).

But nothing is more frustrating than having a new board without use. As you have already proven: You can achieve immersion with the actual game board.

And keep in mind that one of the strenghts of your game is the elegance in its simplicity.

Nothing stands in-between the players and the immersion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Severí Vinyoles

Barcelona
Catalonia
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I will be looking forward to knowing more about future expansions of the game. This game is perfect to have expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lunadips Sixsmtih
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Kiamar wrote:
The first game will likely focus more on cards (including more world scenarios for the base game). I'm undecided on whether to have a new board and it will really depend on the gameplay mechanics of the new Villain. The expansion into the Realm of Dreams will definitely have a new map/board.

Really interested in the game but most excited about the potential the game has for further growth/expansion with multiple directions the gameplay could go in...not only from the designer but also through fan made content.....that said it would be great to include a sizable number of blank cards in the expansions to allow for users to create scenarios, quests etc. to add to the game and build campaign modes (building off of the great back story the designer has provided).

As an example, i see potential in being able to have later consequences to the choices made in the game, putting more weight on the choices made in the game beyond the immediate reward/penalty on a card. So akin to board games like Robinson Crusoe or Castaway, where an event has consequences later in the game through adding certain cards into the deck. This way even whole story arcs can be fed into the deck with different cards inserted depending on the choices made. This would form a very strong & immersive narrative-driven game. I would find these kinds of elements very appealing and feel this would set the game apart from others in the genre. The game could then be as deep as the players would like. So, if you want a quick-ish single session game you just play the standard game. If, however, you want a campaign mode game played over several sittings, with long lasting consequences that may come back to haunt you or help you later in the game you can play this more involved game, seeding decks with cards.

Anyway, just thinking out loud, but this is what excites me most about the game. It would be great to hear if this is something you are considering Gordon and whether you think such mechanics could be incorporated in the game? thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Alford
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
designer
So with the game launched globally through Greenbrier Games, I've had more time to work on the expansion. I'm aiming to finish development in the next few months so I can get the game manufactured by end of year (fingers crossed).

Below is an early preview of the expansion:

Overview
The first expansion will take place in the aftermath of the base game and will go deeper into Nora’s back story, the Wilds and the Werefolk. The expansion will follow a campaign-style format by continuing the storyline and results of the base game. Several choices (and consequences) made in the base game will carry over into the expansion where there will be 2 versions of each follow-on Scenario card. Thematically, the expansion works best if played after confronting The Dragon.

Story
A season has passed since the Champions saved the realm. Winter has come, blanketing the land in snow and ice. The kingdoms are rebuilding, but tensions rise between Tyr and Eriu as food becomes scarce. The Werefolk are in decline and there are rumours of something exterminating their kind. New disappearances are happening across the realm. Some who have gone missing are later found possessed by a malevolent spirit, turning them into ravenous cannibals. The surviving Champions learn that these monsters have been created for some greater purpose.

Expansion Highlights
- Experienced versions of each Champion with updated abilities (and art)
- New Resource cards - more spells and combat feats!
- New Event cards - a new way to get a Relic and events related to solid/dotted travel lines
- New Villain and Foes
- More focused story - one Villain means Expansion World Scenarios can be linked directly to Quest Scenarios
- Rules on deck size for customizing your Resource deck (because there's a lot more cards now)
- Rules on Expansion Scenario cards (draft) - letting multiple Champions enter a Scenario together and only having World Scenarios drawn by Champions that remove a Shadow token

Here is the current idea on how I plan to handle Expansion Scenarios that follow up on choices made in the base game:

The players who completed certain Scenarios (there will be a list) will receive one of two specific Expansion Scenario cards (identified with a I or II), depending on which choice was made. The relevant card should be placed face-down next to the player’s Champion. During the Scenario Phase, instead of drawing from the Expansion World deck (Wilds, Realm), the player can choose to draw one of their face-down World cards with matching location space. If the players didn’t complete one of the listed Scenarios, the I version of the Expansion Scenario should be shuffled into the relevant Expansion World Deck and the II version removed from the game.

I appreciate any feedback and suggestions. Most of the artwork is done and I'm about a third done all the Scenarios. Next step for me is testing the new draft rules and difficulty level of the Villain and Foes against the Experienced Champions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
trevor

Missouri
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds great! I just got this game in the states and really enjoyed my first play. The artwork and story is fantastic!

I love to see how you are expanding this game. It would be easy to just do a "more stuff expansion" , but i love the idea of really developing the story and making it almost a sequel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.