Popular Tags: [View All]
Lori
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Lurker gives you the choice of trashing an action card from the supply or gaining an action card from the trash. Is it legal to choose "gain an action card from the trash" even if there is no action card in the trash?

On one hand, I'm thinking of the Native Village, where you can choose to bring back the cards from the NV even if there aren't any. So parallel to that, I'd think you could play the Lurker, choose option 2, and do nothing.

On the other hand, NV says "all the cards from your mat" and all can be zero. But Lurker says "gain" and you can't gain if there's nothing to gain. So maybe you can't make that choice if there's no action in the trash?

The second edition rulebook description didn't address this. :-(

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wolfe
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Zendo fan, Columbus Blue Jackets fan, Dominion Fan.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ellephai wrote:
The Lurker gives you the choice of trashing an action card from the supply or gaining an action card from the trash. Is it legal to choose "gain an action card from the trash" even if there is no action card in the trash?

On one hand, I'm thinking of the Native Village, where you can choose to bring back the cards from the NV even if there aren't any. So parallel to that, I'd think you could play the Lurker, choose option 2, and do nothing.

On the other hand, NV says "all the cards from your mat" and all can be zero. But Lurker says "gain" and you can't gain if there's nothing to gain. So maybe you can't make that choice if there's no action in the trash?

Short answer: Yes.
Long answer: If Dominion gives you a choice, you can make any choice even if one of them would result in nothing happening.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt E
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ellephai wrote:

Yes, it does. Last paragraph of Additional Rules:

Dominion Second Edition Rules wrote:
When a card gives you a choice ("choose one..."), you can pick any option, without considering whether or not you will be able to do it. This comes up with expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lori
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks very much! Matt, that's actually why I used the word "description"--acknowledging that I had only read the Lurker card description and had not read through the whole second edition rulebook. But as you both pointed out, this is a general Dominion principle that I should have been more confident about.

I do wish there had been a rules sheet covering just the cards in the update pack, and that it had been included with the update pack. After all, even one-card promos have come with their own rules--why not the update packs?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald X.
United States
flag msg tools
designer
ellephai wrote:
I do wish there had been a rules sheet covering just the cards in the update pack, and that it had been included with the update pack. After all, even one-card promos have come with their own rules--why not the update packs?

The idea was to make the update packs as cheap as possible. And in this day and age, it's not hard (for the kind of person buying a Dominion update pack) to go to the website and download the .pdf.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.