Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
3 Posts

Twixt» Forums » Rules

Subject: Why you need to be able to link between pegs of yours already on the board rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Bush
United States
Radiant
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Just in case you were wondering.

I use here the move notation from http://www.ibiblio.org/twixtpuzzles/
Quote:
Link removal notation is by the coordinates of the link's center, with the apostrophe standing in for "half". For example, -E8' would refer to removing the link between F8 and D9, or F9 and D8, and -E'8 would refer to removing the link between E7 and F9, or E9 and F7. This is unambiguous for link removal, since links cannot cross, but for link addition, the distinction is made by preceding the letter with \ or /. For example, /E8' would refer to adding a link between D9 and F8.

When placing a peg, all legal links to that peg are automatically added. Such links are not explicitly mentioned in the notation.

Here is a variation from a game I recently played.

Purple to move could play -i5'i5

but then yellow wins with J4.

Under standard rules, the only winning move is i5 with no link removal.

Yellow is unable to prevent purple from adding the /H'6 link later. Play might continue with yellow playing at K4 to prevent purple from double linking from i5 to J6,

and then purple wins with -i5'/H'6K6

So, if you are writing Twixt software and you want to implement standard rules, don't forget to include this nuance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis Goldberg
United States
Bonnots Mill
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry, amateur here - are you saying purple wins because if it played out, yellow would have no chance?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bush
United States
Radiant
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes that's correct. Sorry I glossed over that. Maybe I should have added more links in my example to make that point more clear.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.