Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Clarke
United States
Hoboken
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Loving Hardcore History with Dan Carlin
mbmbmbmbmb
I assume that for every gem the OL spends, that is one roll for one figure, correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Croquet
France
flag msg tools
mb
aram12 wrote:
I assume that for every gem the OL spends, that is one roll for one figure, correct?

Correct. And that's always an orange dice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Clarke
United States
Hoboken
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Got it. Is that in the RAW explicitly?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
aram12 wrote:
Got it. Is that in the RAW explicitly?

Not sure what you mean by RAW, but the Overlord Book, page 8, explicitly defines the Orange die "when a unit is attacked."

i'm not sure how defense could be applied to a whole group: it's made in response to an attack, and attacks (except for area-of-effect attacks) always target one unit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Clarke
United States
Hoboken
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RAW (rules as written)

The case of Area Attack is actually what caused me to post the question. As only one die roll is made against all units attacked in an area, I postulated that it might be possible that the design intent was for the defense of said attack to work in a similar fashion: one "roll" for the group's defense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
k c
msg tools
As I understand it, only characters with a shield item can guard against an area or ranged attack. I would assume this applies to the OL too. I think this means the OL guard action can't be taken if the heroes are making a ranged or area attack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank BLACKFIRE
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
aram12 wrote:
RAW (rules as written)

The case of Area Attack is actually what caused me to post the question. As only one die roll is made against all units attacked in an area, I postulated that it might be possible that the design intent was for the defense of said attack to work in a similar fashion: one "roll" for the group's defense.

Heroes or OL troop can try to dodge ranged and area attacks.

When several miniatures are damaged by an area attack, the Overlord can defend each of em. He has to chose which to defend and defend them separately. No "group or tile roll".

3 Pict hunters are burned by the "Lighting Storm" spell with 4 hits on the die roll (so each hunters has taken 4 hits).
Each hunter has a passive defense of 1 and 1 life point, so if the OL want to save some of them, he can do active defense for each of them, spending 1 gem (or more) per orange die per miniature.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank BLACKFIRE
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kdc629 wrote:
As I understand it, only characters with a shield item can guard against an area or ranged attack. I would assume this applies to the OL too. I think this means the OL guard action can't be taken if the heroes are making a ranged or area attack.

No, you always can try to dodge an area or ranged attack.
If you've got a shield, it gives you a bonus when you're doing your active defense againt ranged and area attacks. Weapon that gives defense bonus can not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
k c
msg tools
Ah ok, that makes sense. Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andi Anonymous
Germany
flag msg tools
Pallantides wrote:
aram12 wrote:
RAW (rules as written)

Heroes or OL troop can try to dodge ranged and area attacks.

When several miniatures are damaged by an area attack, the Overlord can defend each of em. He has to chose which to defend and defend them separately. No "group or tile roll".

3 Pict hunters are burned by the "Lighting Storm" spell with 4 hits on the die roll (so each hunters has taken 4 hits).
Each hunter has a passive defense of 1 and 1 life point, so if the OL want to save some of them, he can do active defense for each of them, spending 1 gem per orange die per miniature.

He has to spend more than one gem per miniature in your example because the orange die can only block up to 2 damage points. So the hunters would still be killed due to the remaining damage point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank BLACKFIRE
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Abbath wrote:

He has to spend more than one gem per miniature in your example because the orange die can only block up to 2 damage points. So the hunters would still be killed due to the remaining damage point.

Yes of course, one gem or more...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.