11 Posts

SeaFall» Forums » Rules

Subject: Milestones rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Stauch
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't find confirmation of this, apologies for the simple question: How do you determine what milestones to put out each game? For the prologue you put out prologue milestones, but after that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-Philippe Thériault
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cstauch wrote:
I can't find confirmation of this, apologies for the simple question: How do you determine what milestones to put out each game? For the prologue you put out prologue milestones, but after that?

After that you put them all in. The ones you have, anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq Starforged
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
XDarkAngelX wrote:
cstauch wrote:

After that you put them all in. The ones you have, anyway.

There are nine milestones that are "open" at the beginning of the campaign. Four of the are marked "prologue", and the prologue uses ONLY those, as described in the starting rules sheet. One of them is marked "first game", and that one is resolved as part of the first game setup, as described on the card itself. From that point on, you always use all currently available milestones (ie, those that haven't been completed and destroyed) -- which will be the last four (of the original nine) during game 1, but could be more or less depending on how your campaign progresses.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikael Forssander
Sweden
Norrtälje
flag msg tools
mb
I have a question regarding the timing when you claim a milestone? According to the rules at page 6 it states "at the end of your turn" but on page 13 it states:
"If, after an action, you met the requirements for one of the available milestone, claim that milestone..."

So when do I claim the milestone "The finest treasures"? According to the text on the milestone I need to have treasures totaling 3+ glory in my treasure room so should I claim it direct after I buy the treasure or at the end of my turn? Do I lose my actions that turn if I decided to the claim the milestone?

Because the rules state that your turn can end after your first action (page 13) which I read as you claim the milestone direct when you fulfil the requirements which then ends your turn. Furthermore the rules state that you only can claim a milestone “after an action” and technical buying a treasure isn’t an action. Or can I only claim the milestone if a raid another players treasure room because that’s an action?

The most logical would be that I claim the milestone after I have taken my turn and that they changed the wording in the rules to something like this:

“When you fulfil the requirements for a milestone immediately claim that milestone and follow the instructions on the milestone card and end your turn. Sometimes claiming a milestone after your first action will end your turn.”

Otherwise they need to change the wording on the milestone card "The finest treasures" to:

Have treasures at the end of your turn totaling 3+ glory in your treasure room.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TJ
United States
Burbank
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We've been playing it that we resolve milestones at the end of the player's turn, because a lot of times resolving the milestone may take a bit of time, and it breaks up the flow of the player's actions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There have been lots and lots of threads about this. The actual rule is that after each action you check to see if you have completed a milestone, and, if so, claim one. This does seem unnecessarily fiddly, but that's the rule in the rulebook. Also, for some reason, some milestones will end your turn without letting you take your remaining actions, while others don't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Badger
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
The rules as available on the Plaid Hat website show that Milestones are claimed at the end of a player's turn. (page 6)

http://www.plaidhatgames.com/images/games/seafall/rules.pdf

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
omninom wrote:
The rules as available on the Plaid Hat website show that Milestones are claimed at the end of a player's turn. (page 6)

No, they don't. The actual rule is on page 13.

If, after an action, you met the requirements for one of the available milestones, claim that milestone and follow the instructions on the milestone card. You may only claim one milestone per turn. If you met the criteria for more than one milestone in a turn, you must choose which to claim. Sometimes claiming a milestone after your first action will end your turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Roberts
Canada
flag msg tools
Quote:
No, they don't. The actual rule is on page 13.

What do you mean "No, they don't."? It quite clearly says on page 6:

Quote:
Milestones have a requirement to claim (1), and the player who
first meets that requirement may claim that milestone at the end
of their turn.

It does also say after an action on page 13. The rules seem to contradict themselves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ironcache wrote:
What do you mean "No, they don't."?

What I mean is that the actual, detailed rule on page 13 takes precedence over the brief, misleading summary on page 6.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Roberts
Canada
flag msg tools
I agree about the precedence. But it isn't just page 6 of the rule book; it makes the makes the same claim on the player reference cards; specifically having a step end of turn to "Claim Milestone" (which is more than just a little misleading; it's outright incorrect, given the rules on page 13, unless it's intended to be both).

Anyway, glad I came across this thread. My group has been playing this as mentioned on those sources (inconsequentially; only one game in).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.